to veto, or not to veto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

to veto, or not to veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: to veto, or not to veto

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Money leagues are funny. You want to invite idiots cuz they are just giving their money away, but sometimes they will end up handing their money (along with yours) to some other guy.

If it was me, I would have strict veto rules in place prior to opening day if I knew there were idiots in the league (and there is usually at least one). If I didn't have those rules in place, I guess I might have to let this one go. I wouldn't invite this guy back though no matter how tempting it would be.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ursa » Fri May 30, 2008 6:25 pm

In defense of the OP who is receiving the assorted riches from Coach Idiot, it was open to the other 10 managers to float outrageous deals to Coach Idiot at any time. The fact that they didn't is their problem, not his.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Lickitysplit131 wrote:Most of you are forgetting Jacbobs numbers ere equivalent to Adrian Gonzalezes until Jacobs became injured

I still have one more day to wait til the trade goes through, fingers are crossed...

....and carlos quentin has better production than everyone in the first round except utley, but no one with a fully intact brain is going to give me any of those player straight up for him. !+)
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
Lickitysplit131 wrote:Most of you are forgetting Jacbobs numbers ere equivalent to Adrian Gonzalezes until Jacobs became injured

I still have one more day to wait til the trade goes through, fingers are crossed...

....and carlos quentin has better production than everyone in the first round except utley, but no one with a fully intact brain is going to give me any of those player straight up for him. !+)

Absolutely untrue. I was offered Peavy (when he first went on the DL) for Quentin and Kershaw in my keeper $ league. I rejected for the fear of giving up two potential studs for a gimpy stud but still.

Also, it is more or less your fault that you missed out on a great bargain by not offering a similar offer to capitalize from the stupid owner. Those people will complain by saying something like "well I don't want to rip the other guy off" but in the end, everyone values players differently especially in larger trades. We all trade in order to sell high and buy low.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Yoda wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:

Absolutely untrue. I was offered Peavy (when he first went on the DL) for Quentin and Kershaw in my keeper $ league. I rejected for the fear of giving up two potential studs for a gimpy stud but still.

Also, it is more or less your fault that you missed out on a great bargain by not offering a similar offer to capitalize from the stupid owner. Those people will complain by saying something like "well I don't want to rip the other guy off" but in the end, everyone values players differently especially in larger trades. We all trade in order to sell high and buy low.

i agree with the last part. my point was mainly that no one in my leagues will give me any of those players for quentin BECAUSE they understand buying low and selling high. they do not wish to sell low on their higher picks if they slump for the first month, or grossly overpay to fill positional holes.

i guess i need to player with dumber owners. :,-(
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 pm

fbc_fan wrote:i guess i need to player with dumber owners. :,-(

Yes. Spend last time scouting players; more time scouting owners.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 7:33 pm

No you need to play with smarter owners so that you don't end up in this situation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Yoda wrote:

No you need to play with smarter owners so that you don't end up in this situation.

within the context of what i just said in my last post, you are now telling me that the smarter an owner is the more likely he is to buy high and sell low. :-S

please tell me this is not what you are trying to argue.
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 8:09 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
Yoda wrote:

i'm legitimately confused now. within the context of what i just said in my last post, you are now telling me that the smarter an owner is the more likely he is to buy high and sell low. :-S

It's really not a hard concept. Your ultimate goal is to buy low and sell high. If you play with smarter owners then you won't see lopsided trades. Am I making sense?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Yoda wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:
Yoda wrote:

i'm legitimately confused now. within the context of what i just said in my last post, you are now telling me that the smarter an owner is the more likely he is to buy high and sell low. :-S

It's really not a hard concept. Your ultimate goal is to buy low and sell high. If you play with smarter owners then you won't see lopsided trades. Am I making sense?

i am in no way disputing that as an owner you should be buying low and selling high. i am also not disputing that in a league with smarter owners you will not see lopsided trades. what i am questioning is how you are making the connection that because the owners in my league don't feel like selling their own players low, buying other managers players high or extremely overpaying for a player to fill their positional needs that i need to find smarter managers. that is why you are confusing me.
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers