to veto, or not to veto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

to veto, or not to veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

to veto, or not to veto

Postby Lickitysplit131 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:34 pm

I'm getting s*** from my commissioner about a trade I just accepted, and I don't really think it's that horrible of the trade. It's obvious I'm getting the deal, but the other guy is getting what he needs in return. The other guy is a known idiot, for the record...

The trade is

I receive:
Hanley Ramirez
Ryan Braun
Adrian Gonzalez

He Receives:
Aramis Ramirez
Scott Kazmir
Huston Street
Yunel Escobar
Mike Jacobs

The guys pitching is horrible, and because of that he's in last place in the 12 person league. He desperately needs some SP, and one closer. He fills that in with Kazmir/Street, gets a star in return in Ramirez, gets a filler for Hanley in Yunel, and Jacobs is a potential budding star.

Is this trade THAT lopsided from what you guys can see on the surface to the point where it would ruin the integrity of the league?
Lickitysplit131
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: to veto, or not to veto

Postby mtxdevil » Fri May 30, 2008 2:46 pm

While I agree it favors you, I don't think it's worth a veto.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri May 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Don't kid yourself: it is a bad trade.

The least valuable player that you get is more valuable than the most valuable player he gets. I wouldn't veto it, but I wouldn't feel proud of myself if I were you, either.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fierro33 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm

well, if the other guy is a known idiot then it means that he has made horrible trades in the past....so whoever has benefited from his idiocy in the past shouldnt be angry or jealous that its ur turn now..........either get rid of the owner or just accept his horrible trades...thats my opinion...there is no sign of cheating here so it cannot be vetoed.....either come up with some kind of rule pertaining to him before the season starts, kick him out, or just accept that there might be a team that will greatly benefit from his stupidity.......and this has to be done before he starts making his stupid trades not after.......

good job bein around to accept his stupidity......better you than the other guys in the league right?

Let me guess...the other guys in ur league would have rejected the trade correct? yeah right...NO VETO

on the flip side.....theres nothing u can say to justify that its a decent trade so i wouldnt even try to argue that with ur league...its a HORRIBLE trade
fierro33
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Ursa » Fri May 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Unless there is collusion, no trade should be vetoed, IMO. Idiocy isn't something that a league commissioner should have to account for otherwise he may as well take over the running of the idiot's team. I assume it was open to the other 10 league members to make equally favorable deals with the idiot?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby hot4tx » Fri May 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Well, it's an absolutely horrible trade. You're getting his top 2 picks (surprising he'd get both Hanley and Braun unless it's a small league) and both of those guys are absolute studs and a very good player in AGone. You're giving up a 3rd-4th rounder in Aramis, a good but not elite SP in Kazmir that also has lots of injury questions for the year, an injury-prone closer on a bad team and some spares.

Again, I think it depends on what league you're in, if money's involved and maybe even the skill or experience of your trade partner as to whether I'd consider vetoing it. If he has absolutely no idea what he's doing (he is in last place) and money's involved then maybe it's taking advantage of him and enough to be not fair to the other players. But it's always tough to veto any trade, though. Always. Maybe this guy's in a league that is a little to advanced for him and you just don't invite him back unless he picks it up quick?

It is a very lopsided trade, IMO. If that's the question.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby mde » Fri May 30, 2008 3:05 pm

What a joke. That trade is absolute garbage. I agree that veto'ing shouldn't happen except for collusion. However, this "idiot" should never be allowed in the league again if these are the kinds of deals he is making.
mde
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Crap, DP. :~(
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Matthias » Fri May 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Assuming your next question is how to make the trade "fair" I would drop out Hanley and Yulen. You'd still be getting the best players in the deal in Braun and Gonzalez but it would even it out quite a bit.

You could think of it as Street & A-Ram for Braun, which is about even, and Kaz & Jacobs for Gonzalez, which still favors you. You would still come out ahead on the deal, especially once you filled in whatever spots from the WW, but it wouldn't be disgusting.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby seniorpaul » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm

That there is a pretty crappy trade. But i'm one of those guys who feels that as long as there's no cheating involved, that a trade shouldn't be vetoed. Have fun winning your league.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers