But I'm talking about Ryan Spilborghs..and we can dig it! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

But I'm talking about Ryan Spilborghs..and we can dig it!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

But I'm talking about Ryan Spilborghs..and we can dig it!

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 pm

BTW Ryan Spilborghs is the real deal. I'm totally convinced.

In deeper leagues he's a pretty productive 3rd or 4th outfielder.

This year with Slumping Injured Hawpe, Injured Holliday, and Can't hit Taveras

He is

33/103 .320 AVG .405 OBP .505 SLUG .910 OPS 17 Runs 6 Doubles 2 Triples 3 HR's 22 RBI's 16 BB's 12 K's 4/5 SB attempts. The most intriguing part is that he's on pace for MORE WALKS and LESS K'S. By a decent number.

The guy is a very good hitter. I really haven't seen an visible weaknesses out of him. The best part is that he has great gap/RF power. He crushes balls away from him.

A full Season would project him to : 83 RBI's 15SB 11 HR's 23 Doubles. If he keeps up the High OPS and AVG and OBP he's a very nice player. Not a superstar but a very nice major leaguer who can keep you grounded in a bunch of cats.

Anyways in 538 Career AB's over 3 seasons (That # of AB's = about 1 season) He has: 301 AVG; .365 OBP; .472 SLG; .837 OPS 18 HR 95 RBI's 58 BB's 88 K's 13 SB's

Considering he got very little playing time in his first year. Little in his second year. This is his third year and he seems to be improving.

I think as a full time start Spilly could be : a .290 22 HR 100RBI 20 SB Threat with decent walks and low K's
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: But I'm talking about Ryan Spilborghs..and we can dig it!

Postby BigLebowski » Fri May 30, 2008 12:34 pm

I've been all over him this year in my NL only league. I love what he does and the injury bug has given him a chance. Hawpe should continue to struggle giving Ryan more and more playing time. Taveras who can't get on base should be sitting more for Pod's who at least walks, but Ryan can fill in there too.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:52 pm

He's a solid player, and would be a starting outfielder on many teams. He might be a starter with the Rockies anyways, even when Holliday and Hawpe return. The only thing that Taveras brings over Spilly is the speed factor, but Willy gets on so rarely it's hardly an advantage. I wouldn't mind seeing Spilly starting in center for the rest of the year, using Willy as a late game pinch runner, or even trading him. Even though Spilly isn't a prototypical leadoff hitter, he does draw walks as acs pointed out, and I think he'd do a fine job as a starter until Dexter Fowler arrives on the scene.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 30, 2008 1:08 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:He's a solid player, and would be a starting outfielder on many teams. He might be a starter with the Rockies anyways, even when Holliday and Hawpe return. The only thing that Taveras brings over Spilly is the speed factor, but Willy gets on so rarely it's hardly an advantage. I wouldn't mind seeing Spilly starting in center for the rest of the year, using Willy as a late game pinch runner, or even trading him. Even though Spilly isn't a prototypical leadoff hitter, he does draw walks as acs pointed out, and I think he'd do a fine job as a starter until Dexter Fowler arrives on the scene.

Yea Taveras just isn't much of a lead off guy if he can't get on base. Spilly gets on base much more often.

I really like his increased ability to just get on base. Even his outs are line drive type outs.

I'd really like to see:

1. Pods- CF
2. Barmes- 2B
3. Atkins- 3B
4. Holliday- LF
5. Spilly- RF
6. Helton- 1B
7. Tulo- SS
8. Ianetta- C
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 1:24 pm

just because i'm curious, why do you guys feel that podzilla is that much of an upgrade over taveras. i agree that neither is a good leadoff man because neither walks too much, and they both have essentially the same career obp. also, from what i saw of podzilla when he was playing in chicago, he couldn't even handle the LF job well (bad routes, misjudging the ball). it seems like a stretch for him to be playing CF in colorado. whereas taveras has always been a good defensive CF by most metrics and from what little i saw of him while he was playing in houston.

again, this is not to say that spilboroghs isn't deserving of time, but shouldn't there be a platoon between spills and taveras (same hitter, better fielder than pods) with pods being the odd man out? instead of the insane three way platoon they have going right now (well before H&H got hurt)? just want to see what the fans who watch these guys everyday think.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 pm

fbc_fan wrote:just because i'm curious, why do you guys feel that podzilla is that much of an upgrade over taveras. i agree that neither is a good leadoff man because neither walks too much, and they both have essentially the same career obp. also, from what i saw of podzilla when he was playing in chicago, he couldn't even handle the LF job well (bad routes, misjudging the ball). it seems like a stretch for him to be playing CF in colorado. whereas taveras has always been a good defensive CF by most metrics and from what little i saw of him while he was playing in houston.

again, this is not to say that spilboroghs isn't deserving of time, but shouldn't there be a platoon between spills and taveras (same hitter, better fielder than pods) with pods being the odd man out? instead of the insane three way platoon they have going right now (well before H&H got hurt)? just want to see what the fans who watch these guys everyday think.

You know I haven't studied much on Taveras vs Pods in the way of stats. However, from watching games it seems Pods goes deep into counts while Taveras swings and misses or bunts and misses all the time.

HA just looked at botth their averages and OBP. They both suck as leadoff men! Give it to spilly!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 pm

acsguitar wrote:You know I haven't studied much on Taveras vs Pods in the way of stats. However, from watching games it seems Pods goes deep into counts while Taveras swings and misses or bunts and misses all the time.

HA just looked at botth their averages and OBP. They both suck as leadoff men! Give it to spilly!

your observation is correct, pods is seeing more pitches than willy. on average about one more pitch per at bat. though if you check out their career numbers, willy is about where he should be while pods is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of line. over their careers they see roughly the same amount of pitches per at bat with pods seeing slightly more.

you are right, spilborghs should be their leadoff man, at least with his numbers through this point in the season. i'm just mainly curious why there is an crazy 3 way platoon in CF between spils, willy, and pods (before injuries of course). it seems counter productive to have pods and willy around when they are essentially the same player but taveras is better on defense. just keep taveras and get rid of pods and use the roster spot on something you need.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
acsguitar wrote:You know I haven't studied much on Taveras vs Pods in the way of stats. However, from watching games it seems Pods goes deep into counts while Taveras swings and misses or bunts and misses all the time.

your observation is correct, pods is seeing more pitches than willy. on average about one more pitch per at bat. though if you check out their career numbers, willy is about where he should be while pods is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of line. over their careers they see roughly the same amount of pitches per at bat with pods seeing slightly more.

you are right, spilborghs should be their leadoff man, at least with his numbers through this point in the season. i'm just mainly curious why there is an crazy 3 way platoon in CF between spils, willy, and pods (before injuries of course). it seems counter productive to have pods and willy around when they are essentially the same player but taveras is better on defense. just keep taveras and get rid of pods and use the roster spot on something you need.

Yea sometimes I wonder about the whole Pods, WIlly , Spilly thing when we also have: Sullivan, Smith, Stewart, who are probably all better hitters then pods/willy. I get there speed though which is fantastic when they actually get on base
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 pm

I have him in my deepest league and I'm loving it. He did well last year in Tavaras' absence.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 30, 2008 4:15 pm

He's got himself HR again today wooo.

Of course so does Ianetta. Not sure why he isn't always starting?!?!?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers