What does shoulder fatigue mean with Dice -K ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

What does shoulder fatigue mean with Dice -K ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What does shoulder fatigue mean with Dice -K ?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Fri May 30, 2008 5:18 am

Dice-K has said this is something he experienced in Japan a few years ago. Is this something that could sideline him for an extended period of time ? He says that when this happened to him last time that he pitched the next game and paid the price for it. He also didn't seem to concerned about not making his next start though. Is this injury something that he could injure worse if he continues to pitch or is this just his shoulder being tired ? I don't want to lose Dice-K to the DL, but I also do not want to lose him for the whole year. If he doesn't go on the DL and the Red Sox skip his next start, will he pitch at all next week or will it be the following week?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What does shoulder fatigue mean with Dice -K ?

Postby etraum » Fri May 30, 2008 8:17 am

I am a sports physical therapist (and Dice K owner) and in my opinion the best thing for him (and us) is to rest him at least the first start (6/2) if not both. The diagnosis of "fatigued shoulder" is not painful - but if he pitches with a fatigued shoulder he will lack the coordination & proprioception of his external & internal rotators (very important for a pitcher). This is why he was able to pitch the next game - but it probably lead to faulty mechanics which is why "he paid the price". If he returns too early he could develop impingement syndrome which can lead to a rotator cuff problem (tendonitis, or worse a tear) down the road. Usually w/ rest, ice and basic rehab routine he will be fine.
etraum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mu_biggie » Fri May 30, 2008 11:00 am

etraum wrote:I am a sports physical therapist (and Dice K owner) and in my opinion the best thing for him (and us) is to rest him at least the first start (6/2) if not both. The diagnosis of "fatigued shoulder" is not painful - but if he pitches with a fatigued shoulder he will lack the coordination & proprioception of his external & internal rotators (very important for a pitcher). This is why he was able to pitch the next game - but it probably lead to faulty mechanics which is why "he paid the price". If he returns too early he could develop impingement syndrome which can lead to a rotator cuff problem (tendonitis, or worse a tear) down the road. Usually w/ rest, ice and basic rehab routine he will be fine.

This was the best information I have ever read on this site. I dont know if any of it is true but it all sounds really good. I actually feel smarter for reading this. Thank you for some real information. I now consider you an injury expert. Thanks
mu_biggie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Millcity_Maniac » Fri May 30, 2008 1:03 pm

etraum wrote:I am a sports physical therapist (and Dice K owner) and in my opinion the best thing for him (and us) is to rest him at least the first start (6/2) if not both. The diagnosis of "fatigued shoulder" is not painful - but if he pitches with a fatigued shoulder he will lack the coordination & proprioception of his external & internal rotators (very important for a pitcher). This is why he was able to pitch the next game - but it probably lead to faulty mechanics which is why "he paid the price". If he returns too early he could develop impingement syndrome which can lead to a rotator cuff problem (tendonitis, or worse a tear) down the road. Usually w/ rest, ice and basic rehab routine he will be fine.

Wow. I gotta agree with the poster above me. Thanks for the great info. ;-D
Millcity_Maniac
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:07 pm

good read. keep up the informative posts ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Cafe, you should hire him! Lol.

Thanks for the info!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:20 pm

what it really means is Dice K just hit the DL.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SimbaPenn » Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Beat me to it activechamp. At least they were proactive about it. Perhaps I'll have a chance to get Joba or Kershaw this week to replace him:

Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday by the Boston Red Sox, who opted to take a cautious approach after an MRI exam revealed a mild strain of his right rotator cuff. Matsuzaka was examined in Boston by Dr. Thomas Gill. It is the first trip to the disabled list by Matsuzaka, who joined the Red Sox last season after pitching in Japan. "The real good news is there were no structural changes," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "The best way we can see to attack this, we'll DL him, take the time down and get him ready to pitch the rest of the season. That's kind of where we are." The move was retroactive to Wednesday.
SimbaPenn
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates