Survey: How Do You Manage Your Team Daily - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Survey: How Do You Manage Your Team Daily

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Survey: How Do You Manage Your Team Daily

Postby ldmariodl28 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Do you use a spreadsheet?

Do you use a set lineup?

How do you determine if you have enough to win your league?

Where do you get your projected stats?

Just would like to see how people differ on handling there team. We are all here to help each other so differnt ideas can help.

Do you use a spreadsheet? Yes. A page for each team, than rank each catagory based on projected stats

Do you use a set lineup? No. I base my lineup on montly and daily rankings

How do you determine if you have enough to win your league? By using the spreadsheet

Where do you get your projected stats? I get my projected stats from Accuscore
ldmariodl28
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Survey: How Do You Manage Your Team Daily

Postby Tavish » Thu May 29, 2008 11:46 pm

I print out a list of my team then throw darts at the page.

Pitcher matchup, lefty/righty matchups, team needs (speed vs power), and hot/cold streaks is my typically progression when setting a lineup.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Do you use a spreadsheet? Only for drafting. It becomes obvious (to me) what I need during the season.

Do you use a set lineup? I commit to starting 75-80% of my line up, and the other 20-25% is match ups.

How do you determine if you have enough to win your league? I only play H2H, so it's usually obvious.

Where do you get your projected stats? My brain, or some websites.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Fri May 30, 2008 12:15 am

In roto, I don't really focus to much on matchups or what my team needs, I usually just play my best players. In H2H, I focus more on matchups and what I need during the week. In my 10 team roto league I carry more pitchers than bench position players. I only have two guys on the bench, they're usually Bourn, Votto, or Hermida. I start Bourn when I need steals, but it depends on whether he's facing a righty or lefty and how I'm fairing in batting average that week. Hermida and Votto are kind of tough because Votto's been so hot lately, but I usually look at their splits against righties/lefties and look at who their opposing starting pitcher is. My league also counts losses so I have to manage that daily.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 30, 2008 6:58 am

Sea Dog Fan wrote:In roto, I don't really focus to much on matchups or what my team needs, I usually just play my best players.

I feel the same way. I've been burned too many times by having a better player go off on my bench simply because I tried to overthink the situation.

Obviously, if you have 2 players close in value, matchups are more important to analyze, but it comes down to the old "never bench your studs" mantra for me...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby jondunc » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 am

I also only use a spreadsheet during drafting. After that, my team strategy is solidified based on my personnel and I have a good idea what I need to accomplish. I only play roto, so I don't focus too much on matchups, though I do watch that on the pitching side to a degree. Basically I play my "starters" only swapping players for specific category needs or due to streaks (e.g. recently put in Victorino for Markakis).
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 am

Do you use a spreadsheet? Only for drafts

Do you use a set lineup? Mostly yes, except for players with extreme splits (Right vs Left, Home vs Away)

How do you determine if you have enough to win your league? Don't quite understand this question. Do you mean enough of each category to win the league? In that case, I look at past years and determine how much of each cat I need and then draft accordingly. Make trades/FA pickups to adjust for bad projections/injuries.

Where do you get your projected stats? Do my own, and compare/adjust against CHONE and PECOTA
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby baseballin storm » Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 am

Hey ldmariodl28, thanks for that AccuScore websight mention. Just checked it out and it looks very useful. Think I will be using fantasy football season too, that's when I really agonize on who to start and bench. Thanks again.
baseballin storm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 am

AussieDodger wrote:Do you use a spreadsheet? Only for drafting. It becomes obvious (to me) what I need during the season.

Do you use a set lineup? I commit to starting 75-80% of my line up, and the other 20-25% is match ups.

How do you determine if you have enough to win your league? I only play H2H, so it's usually obvious.

Where do you get your projected stats? My brain, or some websites.

I'm gonna agree with most of this. In fact, I would put the number that I actually play with even lower. I have maybe 1-2 players that I might shift in and out of my lineup. In my weekly a guy like Garza might get swapped for a decent closer on his two-start weeks, but thats usually all the moving I do. In my daily I might swap my DH/MIs out based on matchups, but if I have a guy on my bench that is good enough to cause me to debate starting him Im usually looking to package him to upgrade another spot.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Fri May 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Sea Dog Fan wrote:In roto, I don't really focus to much on matchups or what my team needs, I usually just play my best players.

I feel the same way. I've been burned too many times by having a better player go off on my bench simply because I tried to overthink the situation.

Obviously, if you have 2 players close in value, matchups are more important to analyze, but it comes down to the old "never bench your studs" mantra for me...

Yeah, with roto sometimes it's seems like I overanalyze sometimes. After the second half of the season I would say that I micro manage my team more because I know what I'm lacking and try to move up from there. H2H is completely different though because you know your strengths and weaknesses entering the weak and towards the end of the weak. The main reason why people don't like fantasy baseball is because it's such a long season, but it's really not that difficult to manage your team everyday or every other day. I usually check my email everyday or every other day so I just set my team, while I'm checking my email.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers