K. Escobar (Angels) SP,RP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

K. Escobar (Angels) SP,RP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

K. Escobar (Angels) SP,RP

Postby kalibernc » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:30 am

What is the value of a pitcher listed as SP,RP... such as Escobar? Is the value above just a CL or MR?
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:33 am

Well, that depends on your league setup, if you have a lot of flex pitching spots, it means nothing at all. On the other hand, if you have only two RP spots and get a SP/RP who becomes a closer, that can become extremely valuable as you get a head start in the saves category.

and it gives you some flexibility if you have a lot of guys starting the same day...
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kalibernc » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:38 am

The league I'm in is H2H... The draft slots for pitcher are 2 SP, 2 RP, 1 P... The categories are IP, SV, ER, K...

I'm lookin at possibly drafting Escobar late if he's available... if it may be beneficial to me that is.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:20 pm

on the open barter market, he can fetch ya a decent middle-aged goat.

(i wouldn't pursue him unless he starts off hot and has a chance to pulla a loaiza)
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Angels02and04 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:41 pm

I would take Escobar in the late rounds. I think he can have a huge payoff for people who take him this year. The turf in Toronto killed his numbers he will be pitching on grass this year...

His numbers on grass last year were 8 wins, 2 losses with a 2.84 ERA. Everyone says he had a horrible record against the AL WEST last year and that will hurt him because he pitches against them more, but I did some research and he only pitched 1 game on the road against an AL WEST team (other than Anaheim) and it was at Safeco where he pitched 7 innings and gave up 2 ER. That's a solid outing. I really think the turf is what hurt this guy, he is a grounball pitcher.
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby heavyhitter » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:43 pm

for limited RP roster spots and no P slots...target Chacon and Graves earlier than you would...you can have more closers than the other teams in your league
heavyhitter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NZF » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:55 pm

Angels02and04 wrote:I would take Escobar in the late rounds. I think he can have a huge payoff for people who take him this year. The turf in Toronto killed his numbers he will be pitching on grass this year...

His numbers on grass last year were 8 wins, 2 losses with a 2.84 ERA. Everyone says he had a horrible record against the AL WEST last year and that will hurt him because he pitches against them more, but I did some research and he only pitched 1 game on the road against an AL WEST team (other than Anaheim) and it was at Safeco where he pitched 7 innings and gave up 2 ER. That's a solid outing. I really think the turf is what hurt this guy, he is a grounball pitcher.

Interesting thoughts ;-D

though I'm not convinced. I would prefer to watch and wait and let someone else take the risk on this guy.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:23 pm

I'd grab him if you can get him when shaky SP's start going. He was great on the road last year as a starter.

Based on his starts away from SkyDome last year, he was projected to go 23-6, 2.76 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, with 180 K's assuming he starts 35 games. Not too shabby, and definately worth considering as a late round pickup.

Now he probably won't be as good as those projections show, but being away from the AL East and SkyDome can't hurt. If you want to wait until a guy shows the whole world he can be a great pitcher before you draft him, go ahead and get Mark Prior with your first pick.

Escobar has a huge upside that can't be ignored. His terrible numbers as a closer and in SkyDome skewed his stats last year which could make him a big steal. Anaheim didn't spend $19M over 3 years on him for nothing.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers