another closer question Mike MacDougal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

another closer question Mike MacDougal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

another closer question Mike MacDougal

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:55 am

I am thinking of making an offer to trade for Mike MacDougal $23. I have Danny Kolb as my only closer. I was thinking of just going with one so I could at least get some points in the saves catagory.4x4 260.00 mixed . I was going to go with six starters, one closer and try to draft one sleeper closer. I have Zimmerman on reserve. The guy that has MacDougal has asked about Zimmerman . Should I trade him for MacDougal? Doubt he would do one for one. But is Zimmerman my sleeper closer this year or should I target somebody else? If so who? And should I even go after MacDougal.Any early reports on him getting his control together?He is nasty when sharpe. Closers go at a high price in our league.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby grammysboy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:51 am

I live in the KC area and listen to sports radio whenever in the car. Tuesday of this week, they interviewed Curtis Leskanic and the reporter said Manager Tony Pena has announced plans for Leskanic to be the closer to start the season. This was news to me. The sports guys were a little confused too. Leskanic also seemed a little miffed with that decision. He said in the interview that he was sure Mac would end up being the closer for the team, but he (Leskanic) would do anything asked of him to help the team win.

If Pena is not planning on McDougal being his closer, Mac must have done something to make Tony mad. It's a bit of a shock to all of us in this area who were thinking the closer situation was a done deal.

Point is, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on MacDougal right now until they have used him in a couple of ST games. If he ends up in a Brad Lidge roll, he doesn't have much value. I haven't even thrown Jeremy Affeldt into the mix yet. IMO, You may want to wait a couple of weeks into ST to see who begins to emerge as the "go to" guy for some of these teams. Who knows, there may be another "Rod Beck story" out there waiting to happen.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MikeD22 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:16 am

Thanks Grammysboy on the Mac update. Be sure to post any concrete updates on the Closer Watch Forum. That's where most people check for closer info.

Zimmerman for Mac is trading a ? for a ? Don't spend too much time thinking about this. Go with your gut. End of story.

Kolb, I think (even though he plays for crappy Milwaukee) will be a decent closer this year with potentially around 27-31 saves.

I would try to package a hitter and a starting pitcher together and try to get a top ten closer, if closers are a premium in your league.
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Re: another closer question Mike MacDougal

Postby grammysboy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:55 am

Guest wrote:I am thinking of making an offer to trade for Mike MacDougal $23. Closers go at a high price in our league.

Not to comment on your league, but if Mike McDougal is bringing $23 how much does a Gagne or Wagner bring?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:20 am

Wagner was a keeper last year but two years ago brough $33 Percival $35 Rivera $36 Gagne $38 Remember MacDougal was red hot about draft time last year. And there wasn't much for closers at the draft. Even Franklyn German brought $6 . The owner was hoping he would unseat Matt Anderson. We all know what happened there.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ramble2 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:44 pm

I would think that MacDougal could be gotten back in an auction for less $ this year. Though I'm not sure I'd want him on my team.

Zimmerman will not be closing for TEX. Cordero has that job wrapped up.

Kolb will outperform both MacDougal and Zim
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers