Say Hello to Renewable Gasoline - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Say Hello to Renewable Gasoline

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Say Hello to Renewable Gasoline

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Seriously.

AutoblogGreen wrote:If it works, this could be great/terrible. Sapphire Energy announced yesterday that they have been able to take algae and mix in sunlight, CO2 and other photosynthetic microorganisms to make 91 octane gasoline "that conforms to ASTM certification." The renewable gasoline, as Sapphire calls it, contains "high-value hydrocarbons chemically identical to those in gasoline," which could potentially lower gas prices (depending on how much it costs to make a gallon of this stuff) but won't do much for CO2 emissions from vehicles. One good side is that the algae need CO2 to grow. The overall carbon dioxide balance was not disclosed by Sapphire, but I've sent in an email to see how much CO2 the algae need to make the gasoline. It'd be nice to learn this in the early stages, since Sapphire's rubric is "to be the world's leading producer of renewable petrochemical products," CEO Jason Pyle said in a statement.

UPDATE: A Sapphire representative sent ABG this information: "The Sapphire gasoline will be chemically equivalent to current high octane gasoline which means it will have the same energy characteristics (BTU per gallon etc) and release the same amount of CO2 into the environment as traditional gasoline. However every single carbon atom in the Sapphire gasoline is extracted from the environment as CO2, thus the product it will be carbon neutral."

The "how much" question seems to be the only real question at this point.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Say Hello to Renewable Gasoline

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 29, 2008 3:24 pm

I stand corrected. It's sunlight-dependent, too. Even if their productions facilities are able to "grow easily and economically because production is modular, transportable, and fueled by sunlight," weather dependency is still a pretty hefty issue.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Thu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Almost sounds too good to be true. :-?

Easy to make, works with all existing cars/trucks/planes/etc, no adaptation needed, no extra pollution, etc.

So actual "cost" is the only question at this point?

It's gotta be better than the $4.16 per gallon I just paid a couple of days ago.....doesn't it? :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Madison wrote:Almost sounds too good to be true. :-?

Easy to make, works with all existing cars/trucks/planes/etc, no adaptation needed, no extra pollution, etc.

It's gotta be better than the $4.16 per gallon I just paid a couple of days ago.....doesn't it? :-o

$4.62 for Premium, I paid down in Long Island, Memorial Day Weekend. :-S :~( :,-(
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby thedude » Fri May 30, 2008 9:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:

$4.62 for Premium, I paid down in Long Island, Memorial Day Weekend. :-S :~( :,-(

8-o When started driving gas was barely $1.01. And that was only ten years ago. Man i feel old.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 30, 2008 10:52 pm

StlSluggers wrote:...weather dependency is still a pretty hefty issue.

I came across a blog called Oilgae.com. It has some pretty interesting reads. When I read this thread my first thought was why can't they use artificial sunlight (I knew that you could for algae in fish tanks and stuff). Apparently they can but then it's no longer carbon neutral. Still I wonder if it would be cheaper.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 31, 2008 1:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:Almost sounds too good to be true. :-?

You guys have got it easy.
We pay $1.57 a litre here, and if my litres to gallons was correct that is $5.94 (AUS) a gallon. Converted on xe.com is US $5.67. 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
New Zealand pay more then $2 (NZ) a litre (which I have as roughly $5.93 US a gallon).

If we can get this other gasoline rolling, the oil companies and Saudis can kiss our somethings. ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Sat May 31, 2008 2:09 pm

AussieDodger wrote:If we can get this other gasoline rolling, the oil companies and Saudis can kiss our somethings. ;-D ;-D

Amen. That or electricity. Gasoline-powered cars are a sure-fire way to kill the environment and make us all go broke at the same time.

We're smart creatures. There has to be a better solution than internal combustion.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 31, 2008 2:16 pm

knapplc wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:If we can get this other gasoline rolling, the oil companies and Saudis can kiss our somethings. ;-D ;-D

Amen. That or electricity. Gasoline-powered cars are a sure-fire way to kill the environment and make us all go broke at the same time.

We're smart creatures. There has to be a better solution than internal combustion.

This is going to sound hideous, but in 100 years time I reckon we'll have a "matrix style" human battery powered car.
That's something that's in abundance and renewable. :-P
(I'm not advocating it as a good idea, that's just what i think could happen. %-6 )
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Sat May 31, 2008 2:28 pm

Likely we will never have to go that route since the sun provides more energy than we could probably use. If we could figure out a way to tap the full potential of solar power we would never have to dig in the ground for fuel again.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk