The Value of Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Value of Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Value of Holds

Postby fantasyfan123 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:33 pm

I am currently in first place of a H2H 12 team Dynasty league in which I just traded David Wright, David Price(we have prospects), George Sherril, and Kevin Gregg for Matt Holliday, Garett Atkins, and Carlos Marmol. Its a 6x6 league with HOLDS and OBP being the extra two cats. I took a gamble on Holliday, and Atkins(trade rumors), but I think I did OK. The other manager I traded with said that He got a steal just with Gregg, and Sherrill for Marmol, but I think in this type of league Marmol is the equivalent to paplebon. I am punting saves for holds strictly because you have to spend a 5th to 7th round pick on a great closer, but you can spend a 15th round pick to get a guy like broxton.
Is my philosophy wrong here?
fantasyfan123
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Value of Holds

Postby Ursa » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

No, your philosophy is fine. In a holds league, holds are the same value as saves, obviously. Like you, I have punted saves in favor of holds for the same reasons - I didn't need to spend higher picks on closers, plus there are way more holds guys so if injury strikes, replacement is much easier.

That said, I have managed to lose holds 2 weeks out of 8 due to there being few hold opportunities for my 3 or 4 guys while my opponent had plenty for his two. This is the danger of punting - you are never a lock to win the cat every week but you can guarantee you will lose the cat you punted. The benefit for me was mainly that I could spend the picks I would have used for closers to further stack my offense. One other benefit is that during the season, one or more of your good hold guys could become a closer due to injury and then you have some nice trade bait.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Re: The Value of Holds

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 pm

First off, a guy like Broxton won't go in the 15th round. I've seen him go in the 11th/12th/13th in leagues that did count holds. So, you should be prepared to pay some premium for a top-shelf MR especially when there tends to be a great deal of turnover in MR (case in point: Kyle Farnsworth gave way to Joba Chamberlain last year). There's also a better replacement level for holds than there are in saves. For example, a RP like Scott Linebrink, Kyle McClellan, Chris Perez, or Alan Embree won't cost you much of anything. There's merit for grabbing a Broxton/Marmol/S. Shields over a closer that doesn't provide the kind of ratios or K rate like a top-shelf MR would, but that doesn't necessarily spike up the value of MR just because you count holds.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Return to Baseball Leftovers