The Value of Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Value of Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Value of Holds

Postby fantasyfan123 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:33 pm

I am currently in first place of a H2H 12 team Dynasty league in which I just traded David Wright, David Price(we have prospects), George Sherril, and Kevin Gregg for Matt Holliday, Garett Atkins, and Carlos Marmol. Its a 6x6 league with HOLDS and OBP being the extra two cats. I took a gamble on Holliday, and Atkins(trade rumors), but I think I did OK. The other manager I traded with said that He got a steal just with Gregg, and Sherrill for Marmol, but I think in this type of league Marmol is the equivalent to paplebon. I am punting saves for holds strictly because you have to spend a 5th to 7th round pick on a great closer, but you can spend a 15th round pick to get a guy like broxton.
Is my philosophy wrong here?
fantasyfan123
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Value of Holds

Postby Ursa » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

No, your philosophy is fine. In a holds league, holds are the same value as saves, obviously. Like you, I have punted saves in favor of holds for the same reasons - I didn't need to spend higher picks on closers, plus there are way more holds guys so if injury strikes, replacement is much easier.

That said, I have managed to lose holds 2 weeks out of 8 due to there being few hold opportunities for my 3 or 4 guys while my opponent had plenty for his two. This is the danger of punting - you are never a lock to win the cat every week but you can guarantee you will lose the cat you punted. The benefit for me was mainly that I could spend the picks I would have used for closers to further stack my offense. One other benefit is that during the season, one or more of your good hold guys could become a closer due to injury and then you have some nice trade bait.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Re: The Value of Holds

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 pm

First off, a guy like Broxton won't go in the 15th round. I've seen him go in the 11th/12th/13th in leagues that did count holds. So, you should be prepared to pay some premium for a top-shelf MR especially when there tends to be a great deal of turnover in MR (case in point: Kyle Farnsworth gave way to Joba Chamberlain last year). There's also a better replacement level for holds than there are in saves. For example, a RP like Scott Linebrink, Kyle McClellan, Chris Perez, or Alan Embree won't cost you much of anything. There's merit for grabbing a Broxton/Marmol/S. Shields over a closer that doesn't provide the kind of ratios or K rate like a top-shelf MR would, but that doesn't necessarily spike up the value of MR just because you count holds.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Return to Baseball Leftovers