Roy Oswalt: what the HELL is going on? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Roy Oswalt: what the HELL is going on?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roy Oswalt: what the HELL is going on?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 29, 2008 2:15 pm

I had to free up a roster spot a couple weeks ago so I traded Greinke and Maine for him, hoping he'd at least halfway return to form. Now I'm scared to start him. I've never been scared to start any pitcher ever (I started every single pitcher this year, and I still came out with a league-leading 2.66 ERA, 0.80 ahead of 2nd place) and I don't want to have given up two great young pitchers for upcoming WW material. He has a career 3.19 ERA, showing that he should turn it around soon....

Right? :-o

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roy Oswalt: what the HELL is going on?

Postby sansav » Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 pm

He has pitched a ton of innings over the last couple of years, K rates have been declining every year, I would not expect too much from him - certainly not his career numbers
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jcook3127 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Just looks like a guy in decline...he's throwing every pitch in his arsenal a bit slower than at any point in his career..he's allowing more hits than at any point in his career...he's allowing more line drives than at any point in his career..but the staggering stat is his HR/Fly Ball ratio..9.1% for his career, 23.4% on the season..

He is Striking out More and Walking less than he did a year ago..which is good..but everything else points to him just being more hittable this season

The ERA should improve from 5.61, but he has to avoid the long ball
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Thu May 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I had to free up a roster spot a couple weeks ago so I traded Greinke and Maine for him, hoping he'd at least halfway return to form. Now I'm scared to start him. I've never been scared to start any pitcher ever (I started every single pitcher this year, and I still came out with a league-leading 2.66 ERA, 0.80 ahead of 2nd place) and I don't want to have given up two great young pitchers for upcoming WW material. He has a career 3.19 ERA, showing that he should turn it around soon....

Right? :-o

I wouldn't trade either Greinke or Maine for him str8 up!! :-t Sorry about your luck. He's been in decline the past few years now. K's have been dipping every year, and his whip has been on the rise. He just seems more hittable this year. Lefties have absolutely destroyed him this year. He's still startable, just pick your poison carefully. He's definitely not the elite pitcher form yesteryear.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

i owned him last year and pretty much decided to put him on my do not draft list for this year, at least in regards to where he was still being picked
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Relentless » Thu May 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, I just dropped Ludwick for this guy since I'm loaded in the OF. Hopefully, he can start pitching better soon and have a better second half. Him and Johan took me to my league finals last year, so I really have faith in him.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby verb1999 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I'll 2nd that I had him on my team last year and made it to the league finals. He sure isn't off to a great start, nor does it seem he is the pitcher he used to be, but he is a solid pitcher and his numbers should even out to something fair by the end of the season.
verb1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby ha_jai » Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Well at least you didn't draft him and then traded Chris Young (the pitcher) for him! At this point, I rather have a declining Oswalt than a Young who might be out this year! !+)
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 pm

ha_jai wrote:Well at least you didn't draft him and then traded Chris Young (the pitcher) for him! At this point, I rather have a declining Oswalt than a Young who might be out this year! !+)

Guess who has both? !+)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby verb1999 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

He did good yesterday. Looked like a rough night was ahead of him after the first, but he retired some 11, 12 consecutive batters after that. Ended up giving up a hit, then the blast to that damn Pujols. I keep my faith in Oswalt. I lot of people like to hop of the bandwagon, but he's a solid pitcher on a solid team. It's not like he's only been good for a year.
verb1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Return to Injuries & Player Updates