Christian Guzman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Christian Guzman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Christian Guzman

Postby oddmanout7 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm

No one is really talking about the guy and his solid season. He is hitting for a solid average and getting a good number of runs. His HR and SB are nothing to write home about, but overall he has been productive. He is 30 years old so in keeper leagues he isn't all that appealing, but for those of use who are streaming SS he is a good guy to have.

This was interesting to me...

May 29 SS Cristian Guzman hasn't just been the Nationals' most consistent offensive player this season, he's been one of the most productive shortstops in the NL. With another double Wednesday night in San Diego, Guzman now has 23 extra-base hits (17 doubles, two triples, five homers). That's tops among all NL East shortstops, besting Mets SS Jose Reyes (22), Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez (18), Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins (17) and Braves SS Yunel Escobar (11).
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Christian Guzman

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:27 pm

You've pretty much summed up why nobody is talking about him. To sum it up Cristian Guzman just isn't sexy;

His 5 HRs is good enough to place him tied with 7 other SS qualifying players for 6th most; I'm not going to bother counting how far down the list he is in SBs (so as you've already pointed out his value is not really in his speed or power); He's near the top for doubles and runs and his BA I'm sure is decent in comparison to others at his position who have a similar # of ABs and in RBIs he's in a 3 way tie for 12th most. Granted, we're 1/3rd in and I know #s can change pretty quickly (for the better or worst);

Don't get me wrong, I picked him up a few weeks ago to fill in my UTL spot because Bourn and Butler just aren't getting it done (and SD doesn't feel a need to call up Headley). I'm just not sure he has much value unless your league counts doubles & triples or you play in a very deep league, or you're in an NL only league.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 29, 2008 5:10 pm

I think nobody is talking about him because he missed all of last year and hit .219 the year before that. He'd have to go on an absolute hitting rampage for me to even think about picking him up.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sliders51 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Matthias wrote:I think nobody is talking about him because he missed all of last year and hit .219 the year before that. He'd have to go on an absolute hitting rampage for me to even think about picking him up.

He didn't miss all of last season. He had 174 ABs last year and hit .327.

In a points league, he has been one of the best hitters. He gets a lot of hits so he keeps piling up the points for my team and he doesn't strike out much.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu May 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Totally unheralded yet very useful is Christian Guzman. There isn't a lot separating him from Yuniesky Betancourt, but he's been consistent for two months and it looks like the corrective eye surgery he got in the offseason has paid off. In a roto league he's a solid contributor in the MI spot since he won't hurt you. Honestly, there aren't many folks who are able to depend on strong power/steals numbers in their MI slot. I think of him as a less powerful Kevin Youkilis from last year where no one wanted to start him and yet he was a life preserver for some of the shakier starters' output.

Guzman has started to run a little bit so it's possible that he could end up with 9-10 HR with 15 or so steals by the end of the year. Not bad.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 110)

Postby Field » Thu May 29, 2008 7:21 pm

He reminds me a heck of a lot like Orlando Hudson's start (at the same age) last year:

April & May:

Hudson 07:

R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
30 60 11 4 6 33 2 0.292 0.367 0.474 0.841

Guzman 08:

R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
38 69 17 2 5 20 3 0.308 0.33 0.469 0.799

Both well over-achieved their career norms, I expect a regression.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers