Planning a Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Planning a Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Planning a Trade

Postby nkeitt » Thu May 16, 2002 8:13 pm

I really need some help. My batting is fine and should do well enough as my main hitters (like Helton) get into their grooves. But my pitching is just bad. The only thing I rank highly in is saves. I am dead last in wins, losses, ERA and almost last in K's.

I am not really sure what to do to fix the situation. I don't really know what my players are worth, nor who I can afford to let go (the only thing I have to burn right now is speed). I'm in an 8 team Yahoo! league and it seems like everybody's got bigger studs than me. (stud envy? tell me about your mother...) I am hoping you guys can help me with some ideas for trades that can help me out without killing my offense. I am also listing some of the top pitchers on the waiver wire in case I should just drop one for another. Thanks for any advice!

My team:
C-Varitek, 1B-Helton, 2B-Alomar, 3B-Hinske, SS-Rollins, OF-Berkman, Pierre, Giles, UTIL-Damon, Beltran, Mora, BENCH-Vina, Patterson, Nevin [NOTE: I usually play Vina and Patterson over Mora and Beltran, but they were off tonight.]

SP-Pedro, Tomko, Clement, Beckett, L. Hernandez, Halladay
RP-Rivera, Urbina, Herges, Julio, Romero

As you can see, my RP is in great shape, so I am mainly thinking about SP.

On the wire are: Wade Miller, Kile, Thomson (COL), Penny, D'Amico, Suppan, Jensen, Carlos Hernandez, Brain Lawrence, Rick Reed and Glendon Rusch

So, whaddya think?

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri May 17, 2002 10:12 am

I'd try two things: first, try trading for a stud sp, Try offering Nevin or one of Giles, Beltran or Damon, perhaps combined with one of your starters, and see what response you get.

Also, add a bit of depth to your rotation. Drop Romero, as well as Mora if you don't need him, and pick up Miller (if you can place him on the DL), and two of the starters you listed (Kile and D'Amico would probably be my choices, especially since you can easily change them if they don't pan out). Having more sp's will allow you to pick matchups that look good to you.

As to which categories to shoot for, it depends on whether you can land another strikeout artist or not. If yes, you could gain ground there, but if not, you'll be better off looking at era as the primary area where you can catch up (hoping that wins will follow suit).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 17, 2002 6:51 pm

That sounds like a plan, especially picking up Miller and two starters for Mora and Romero. I thought Romero would help me to stay near the top with holds, but he hasn't had one in ages. Since only about two other guys use middle reliever types, chance are I'll still stay near the top there even if I don't get any more all season.

Who do you think I could get for Beltran and Halladay (who I think besides Pedro is my most marketable starter) - the two players I am most inclined to part with?
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 17, 2002 7:07 pm

If you find a team that needs Beltran, you might be able to snare a Zito-caliber pitcher. Getting a good deal here will probably be tough in an 8-team league, though. Perhaps checking to see whether the Hudson owner is panicking would be a good start?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers