Will David Price Be Called Up This Year?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will David Price Be Called Up This Year??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will David Price Be Called Up This Year??

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Besides the health issues we have seen that the Rays have been reluctant to overpay for players. Bringing him up at the end of the season for a couple starts only starts his Super 2 clock. I would be surprised if he comes up this year, and I think there is a chance that he starts next season in AAA as well, especially with Davis or Neimann probably coming up before him.

I am a little surprised that people with keeper leagues use yahoo. Seems aggravating to have to hope you have the #1 WW when the star of the future comes up. I know I would rather just draft a guy like Bruce or Price at the start of the season and just sit him on my bench all year.

This is the first year Yahoo has actually been predictable on when players will get added to the DB.
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:I am a little surprised that people with keeper leagues use yahoo. Seems aggravating to have to hope you have the #1 WW when the star of the future comes up. I know I would rather just draft a guy like Bruce or Price at the start of the season and just sit him on my bench all year.

I am in two keepers, 1 Yahoo and 1 ESPN. We are allowed to draft whoever we want as long as we keep a bench spot open for the player unavailable. I drafted and held Lincecum last year and also drafted Price this year but dropped him when he hurt his elbow.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Yoda wrote:I am in two keepers, 1 Yahoo and 1 ESPN. We are allowed to draft whoever we want as long as we keep a bench spot open for the player unavailable. I drafted and held Lincecum last year and also drafted Price this year but dropped him when he hurt his elbow.

This is how our league does it as well. It's nice, but it's also tough to keep that empty spot there not knowing when it will get filled. Also, when the player's added to the Yahoo database, the commish throws him right on the owner's roster, which was nice for Cueto's first outing...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm wondering where this sudden idea that his callup is imminent is coming from - everyone knew he was a great pitcher when the Rays drafted him.

The Rays have a tendency to not rush guys through to the majors (I suspect that it has to do with developing maturity and treating it as equally important as talent).

This is the same organization that just called up Longoria...who people were foaming at the mouth about how long it was taking for him to be promoted to the MLB level (especially when he didnt start the season at the MLB level).

Prior to that it was BJ Upton, Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes (I'm not sure when ownership changed hands, regardless these guys spent what some considered to be extra time down below as well).
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Fri May 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Smileyman9 wrote:I'm wondering where this sudden idea that his callup is imminent is coming from - everyone knew he was a great pitcher when the Rays drafted him.

The Rays have a tendency to not rush guys through to the majors (I suspect that it has to do with developing maturity and treating it as equally important as talent).

This is the same organization that just called up Longoria...who people were foaming at the mouth about how long it was taking for him to be promoted to the MLB level (especially when he didnt start the season at the MLB level).

Prior to that it was BJ Upton, Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes (I'm not sure when ownership changed hands, regardless these guys spent what some considered to be extra time down below as well).

From that same article:

Why can we be so bold with a pitcher who was drafted last June and then finally made his pro debut just weeks before the next draft? Well, because Price was supposed to be a candidate to make starts down the stretch last year. At least that was the word when he was drafted No. 1 overall last June. And, his elite Division I experience at Vanderbilt has him more battled tested than most first-year professionals.

Not sure how much truth there is to the Rays thinking about calling him up last year. If it is true, then I could certainly see how they would consider bringing him up a year later.
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Fri May 30, 2008 5:03 pm

talldarkandnerdy wrote:Not sure how much truth there is to the Rays thinking about calling him up last year. If it is true, then I could certainly see how they would consider bringing him up a year later.

It is possible but he has had two separate injuries to deal with already. Seems very shortsighted to bring him so quickly but then again the Rays were never in the position to compete before either.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dooz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:43 pm

He still hasn't been added to yahoo!?!?!
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 pm

dooz wrote:He still hasn't been added to yahoo!?!?!

Why would he have been? :-? He hasn't been called up nor is there any indication that he will be...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:57 pm

j24jags wrote:

Why would he have been? :-? He hasn't been called up nor is there any indication that he will be...

I think [read: hope] he was being sarcastic... :-S
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
j24jags wrote:

I think [read: hope] he was being sarcastic... :-S

Hehe me too, but you never know. If I had a dollar for everytime someone complained about a prospect not being in Yahoo yet I'd be a very wealthy man.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers