Let's talk about Vlad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk about Vlad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk about Vlad?

Postby kcs261 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 am

What is up with this guy? Is he ever going to get hot. It's almost June. Anybody have any info on this guy?
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's talk about Vlad?

Postby sportsaddict » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 am

According to sources close to the Guerrero family, they are having a situation with their taxes. Once those all get paid, Vlad will be hitting in no time. The most recent example of this was Adrian Tru Beltre a few years ago, who after getting his taxes straightened out with H&R Block, was able to get back to normal. Don't worry about Vlad. ;-D
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu May 29, 2008 2:21 am

Take Hart. :-D
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am

sportsaddict wrote:According to sources close to the Guerrero family, they are having a situation with their taxes. Once those all get paid, Vlad will be hitting in no time. The most recent example of this was Adrian Tru Beltre a few years ago, who after getting his taxes straightened out with H&R Block, was able to get back to normal. Don't worry about Vlad. ;-D

Uh, is this code for something? :-S
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 29, 2008 12:12 pm

mkultra wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:According to sources close to the Guerrero family, they are having a situation with their taxes. Once those all get paid, Vlad will be hitting in no time. The most recent example of this was Adrian Tru Beltre a few years ago, who after getting his taxes straightened out with H&R Block, was able to get back to normal. Don't worry about Vlad. ;-D

Uh, is this code for something? :-S

TrÜ
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby yankeekd25 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 pm

noseeum wrote:Take Hart. :-D

I did! ;-D
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:28 pm

He sucks, you should trade him for Milton Bradley
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 pm

.258 is pretty crappy. I kept waiting on Manny last year to get it going and it never really happened. I really think this could be a down year. It's late for him still to be this cold. But I haven't seen him play much. I obviously know his skill since I drafted him #2 in my draft. But with this weather warming up, he should be mashing by now.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Vlad is usually an aggressive hitter, making it not uncommon for him to swing at the 1st or 2nd pitch, and somehow, he hits groundballs. It's been a minor trend the last couple of years, but really never materialized into as bad as a power drought as he's experienced now. If he displays a little more patience in reading how the opposing pitchers are treating him (they're looking for him to swing at a groundball), Vlad can get a pitch he likes for a good result, so he doesn't have to swing anything at anywhere all the time.

He'll be fine, and if not, we'll just say he's late in paying his taxes and call it a day.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Cow » Thu May 29, 2008 2:11 pm

I am not so sure about Vlad. Vlad had a down year by his standards last year and this year is even worse. The gut is hitting .258ish with little power and the speed is all but gone. Can he turn it around? Is he in decline? Is it just a down year? I think he is in decline, but should still have a solid year. But I don't know he could be bust. At the end of the year I would expect Vlad to approach last year's numbers, but fall short. So a small decline, but I am not sold on him. A guy has had Vlad on the trading block in my league for quite some time, so I tried to work out a deal. I offered Justin Upton and Lester for Vlad and I thought that a fair deal. That gives you some idea what I think of Vlad. I also have Sizemore, Markakis and McLouth, but I would not deal any of those for Vlad, the fact that I won't deal McLouth for Vlad should speak volumes.

at this point Vlad is a guy you try to get if the price is right, but given Vlad's name and reputation the price will probably be too high. Because IMO you are paying for the name in this instance. If you can get Vlad for the right or discounted price then go for it, if not then forget it.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers