Why does Leyland refuse... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does Leyland refuse...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why does Leyland refuse...

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Captain Furtah wrote:I'm a huge tigers fan, but this is getting downright ridiculous.

Cabrera is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball (and they are paying him as such). He has been going through the season without much fanfare, that is until he moved up in the order and starting hitting like he Always has throughout his career, and Detroit started winning baseball games!

I have liked Leyland, but he needs to stop playing favorites and babying players. I'm not just saying this because they've struggled to this point. The best hitter on the team is Cabrera, bat him 3rd and build your team/lineup around him.

I hope he is doing this to showcase Thames so we can trade him for a solid pitcher at the deadline...

F trading Thames. We should move Renteria to Toronto (looking for SS) for Burnett. Then we can start Santiago there. I'd rather do that.

If you are Toronto, you may just fall for that trade. Renteria's contract is done at the end of the year so they would get rid of Burnett's money. As much as I think Renteria will start to hit, he will never be worth what he is being paid.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 am

That took about three hours to get shot out of the water :~(

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/b ... nts-t.html
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Part of Leyland's motivation was mentioned during today's game. Apparently he doesn't like the fact that Cabrera is slow on the basepaths, and that is why they hit him behind Maggs instead of front of him. I find this to be kind of odd considering the Tigers absolutely never steal. Any more thoughts on this?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:20 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Part of Leyland's motivation was mentioned during today's game. Apparently he doesn't like the fact that Cabrera is slow on the basepaths, and that is why they hit him behind Maggs instead of front of him. I find this to be kind of odd considering the Tigers absolutely never steal. Any more thoughts on this?

Yeah Leyland has talked about this a few times before and usually stats that as his reasoning. He seems to think that if Mags were on first and Miggy was to get an extra base hit Mags would be likely to score, whereas Miggy probably wouldn't score from first on an extra base hit. Solid reasoning, but it's irrelevant when Miggy isn't even getting hits behind him.

These two are so key to the Tigers offense that I have no idea why Leyland isn't willing to at least try something different when what they're doing now clearly isn't ideal. Honestly, what do they have to lose by giving it a shot for a week or two??
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Cabrera back hitting 4th today (no Ordonez in the lineup).....

and what do you know, 3-3, 3 RBI so far.

How long can Leyland maintain his stubborness? I'm thinking forever. :-P
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby clevername » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:03 pm

now 5/6 with 6 RBI.

But he should stay in the 5th so he won't clog up the bases. Genius.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:14 am

clevername wrote:now 5/6 with 6 RBI.

But he should stay in the 5th so he won't clog up the bases. Genius.

Oh yea, 1-4 with a double is way better than his production in the 4 hole. And seems like everyone else on the team does better when he hits lower too.

Why not hit Guillen 3rd (to give Leyland his speed in the 3 spot), and put Ordonez 5th or 6th (if he wants a leftly between them, Joyce or something)
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Captain Furtah wrote:I'm a huge tigers fan, but this is getting downright ridiculous.

Cabrera is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball (and they are paying him as such). He has been going through the season without much fanfare, that is until he moved up in the order and starting hitting like he Always has throughout his career, and Detroit started winning baseball games!

I have liked Leyland, but he needs to stop playing favorites and babying players. I'm not just saying this because they've struggled to this point. The best hitter on the team is Cabrera, bat him 3rd and build your team/lineup around him.

I hope he is doing this to showcase Thames so we can trade him for a solid pitcher at the deadline...

F trading Thames. We should move Renteria to Toronto (looking for SS) for Burnett. Then we can start Santiago there. I'd rather do that.

Why would Toronto trade for a terrible 33 year old shortstop? They already have like 3 of those.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:34 am

moochman wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

If you are Toronto, you may just fall for that trade. Renteria's contract is done at the end of the year so they would get rid of Burnett's money. As much as I think Renteria will start to hit, he will never be worth what he is being paid.

The only reason they are considering trading AJ Burnett is because he's going to opt out of his contract at the end of the season (he can very easily get better than 2 years/24 million in FA). Paying him 12 million a season over the next 2 years isn't exactly a problem for them. By simply keeping him and allowing him to become a FA, they'll get 2 high draft picks, so any offer will have to be as good as that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 am

mweir145 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Why would Toronto trade for a terrible 33 year old shortstop? They already have like 3 of those.

Yeah, you know, because Toronto is known for making such savvy moves.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers