The Yankees management?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Yankees management??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Yankees management??

Postby etraum » Wed May 28, 2008 10:07 pm

The Yankees handling of the Grooming of Joba Chamberlain from set-up man to starter makes NO sense to me. I understand the protocol to stretch him out to a higher pitch count each game (example: 35 pitches to 45 pitches progressing to 55 pitches). What I don't get is why use him tonight in the set up role again (28 pitches) when you are trying to stretch him out to 55? This does nothing but place him in his old role. and then have him scheduled possibly to be a 2-start pitcher next week - they are not giving him a chance to succeed. I think this has to be becausse of the lack of communication between the manager (Girardi) and his higher ups (Cashman and Boss JR). Cashman has shown in the past few years that he needs to be fired.
They have to give this very talented kid an identity sooner or later and I think it lies as a starter (or closer a la Papelbon).

any thoughts.

I am a Joba owner in a keeper league which is why I voice concerns.
etraum
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Yankees management??

Postby sandman042 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:42 pm

What do u want the yankees to do then? I like the idea of keeping him in the majors instead of wasting his inngs in the minors so that even when joba pitchs he will still conribute and no inng goes to a waste. Also what ur saying about the setup role makes no sense. I was watching the game and there main priority is to win the game first then joba second. That is y joba did not pitch the 9th. The yankees also sad they arent gonna take pitcher out early just for joba. Pettite was pitching well so joba came in right after him. If pettite pitch poorly we would had seen joba in earlier. And if he doesnt get to a specified pitch count he will go to the pen and pitch to however many pitches he needs... Also this has nothing to do w/ boss or cashman... it is all about yankee guru nardi contreras who made up "joba rules last yr" and pitching coach dave eiland...
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Hey, so this was clearly a case where the Yanks starter performed too well. They wanted Joba to get the last 4 innings of the game w/ Pettitte going maybe 5 IP, but Pettitte pitched well. Joba started in the middle of the 7th, finished the 8th, and then the Yanks had a save opportunity--i.e. time for Rivera.

If the lead had been larger, they would have let Joba throw the 9th as well. Also, they plan to make up any pitches "missed" (so to speak) in the bullpen after the game. Obviously not exactly the same, but it's as close as they could get...so Joba probably threw somewhere around 25 pitches after he left the real game to get up to his desired pitch count of 55 for the day.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 am

There have been a number of threads about Joba and the Yankees management. The most recent is at viewtopic.php?t=347442

To summarize some of the discussion:

(1) There does seem to be consistency in what the Yankees are doing with Joba. They said they would follow the game situation and if needed have him finish out in the pen (Iike Spring Training) to stretch him out. As Mo was coming in for the save, Joba went to the Pen to finish two more simulated innings

(2) There is an ongoing discussion about value of Joba as a setup man, vs. value as a starter. The SABR crowd feels he needs to be a starter, because you want your best pitchers to pitch as many innings as possible. (I'm on that side) Others say you can't blow games in the eighth and Joba should stay there.

(3) As you would expect, there are some vocal Yankee fans on the boards who are very happy with Yankee management (I'm on that side) and there are some who are not. The two sides focus on Cashman's decisions, especially after he was given more control of the team.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Gang Green » Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm

etraum wrote:The Yankees handling of the Grooming of Joba Chamberlain from set-up man to starter makes NO sense to me. I understand the protocol to stretch him out to a higher pitch count each game (example: 35 pitches to 45 pitches progressing to 55 pitches). What I don't get is why use him tonight in the set up role again (28 pitches) when you are trying to stretch him out to 55? This does nothing but place him in his old role. and then have him scheduled possibly to be a 2-start pitcher next week - they are not giving him a chance to succeed. I think this has to be becausse of the lack of communication between the manager (Girardi) and his higher ups (Cashman and Boss JR). Cashman has shown in the past few years that he needs to be fired.
They have to give this very talented kid an identity sooner or later and I think it lies as a starter (or closer a la Papelbon).

any thoughts.

I am a Joba owner in a keeper league which is why I voice concerns.

After the 28 pitches while on the mound, he then went into the bullpen and pitched another 27 pitches. I believe it is too early in the season to make him a starter but Hankenstein is blowing a gasket with all the putrid starts from Hughes/Kennedy. Hopefull Humberto Sanchez will be on the mound soon as the 8th inning guy. He was the centerpiece of the Sheffield deal and the timing couldn't be better for him to return. If Sanchez doesn't work out in the 8th...the Yanks are in trouble because the rest of the bullpen....%-6 %-6 %-6 %-6
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Sanchez sucks..
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers