sweeny or giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

sweeny or giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:18 pm

i did a no-yankees league once myself. Lol, however, it was a playoff league (points league), so everyone ended up with the whole diamonback's team in the world series
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

h

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:48 pm

your making the classic mistake of taking players you like in fantasy baseball before players you dont even when the guy you dont is clearly better. sweeney over giambi??? not in a million years.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby EricF » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:58 pm

Projections at Fantasy Info Central have the following for the two:

(AVG-R-HR-RBI-SB)

Giambi .322-119-40-125-1
Sweeney .332-96-28-112-9

Giambi has the clear advantage. Sweeney would only be more beneficial if you already had R-HR-RBI covered, but since you're facing this choice in the first round probably, you don't know whether you have those categories covered. Take Giambi!
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:47 pm

It's like Sunday dinner. Jeter and Soriano set the table and Giambi clears it.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Blizman34 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:56 pm

I have to agree with the pack and put Giambi over Sweeney, however it's all about how you want your team to pan out. I personally wouldn't pick Giambi because I want a stud ace in round 1 and Giambi won't be around for my next pick. Sweeney however will be and I'll take RandyJ or Pedro and Sweeney over Giambi and Halladay any day. And whoever wrote Sweeney as the #6 1 bagger is crazy. Sweeney is #3 at the worst falling behind Giambi and possibly Helton. He is way more appealing than Thome, Sexson, Palmeiro or any other firstbaseman I can think of.
Blizman34

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Defending myself

Postby superotto80 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:38 am

first and foremost....i would never pass up a player cause i dont like him and what team he is on....but what im am saying is the onyl way to get giambi is in the 1st round and i dont think it is worth that, i prefer a 2nd baseman or shortstop because they are so few great ones....so what it comes down to is my top 3 picks were as follow:
soriono,zito,sweeny

now the person who took giambi got:
Giambi,lowell,renteria
which would u rather have......I win
superotto80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gogiants » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:16 am

Sweeney is defintly a stud,.345 last year, but giambi is first round material. I wouln't take either in the first round, take a stud of, or pujols, and pick sweeney in round 2 or 3. I picked him in the 3rd round in a recent draft, and other owners thought it was to early. (should win that league B-) )
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:59 pm

GoGiants: Of course Sweeney in the 3rd was too early, if only because it's about 99% certain you could have had him in the 4th round, if you wanted (unless the league is populated with Royals fans, maybe.

In any event, the bottom line is that Sweeney has been in the league for eight years, plays for a god-awful terrible team, has never posted more than 29 home runs and has never had more than 10 steals. I can see maybe putting him ahead of Bagwell, but unless you think they're going to get injured, I'm not sure how you can put him ahead of Delgado and, especially, Thome.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:17 pm

Let me contradict myself. :-o

Sweeney is averaging the 49th pick according to ESPN, so it's not 99% likely he'd be there whenever you picked in the 4th round. Still, 3rd round is too early. Better value probably could have been gotten.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:37 pm

:-B What about Giambi? He plays in a ballpark built for him. Around a team that is two years removed from a trophy that they believe belongs to them. And in Division that is ranked last. An awful division with only two teams. The fact the AL Central suck's also only feeds the fact that the AL is inferior to the NL this year. That means the best team 160 mil. can buy should just have overly inflated stats. Giambi has a year of "New York” under him and it will be just about time for him to play his game. MVP Year. :-B

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers