Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Postby sandman042 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:45 pm

I dont know y ur bringing up herb score, corey coskie and mathney for ... yes they all have concusiions and were career ending BUT CHRIS YOUNG DOES NOT have a concussion....... all of his injuries were physical injuries to th face. Once that heals in 2 months or so he is fine.... there is nothing wrong w/ his arm,legs or anythiung else. After that it will be just a mental thing for him and once he pitches a couple of times he should be fine. The chances of that happening again is rare but possible. To say he wont be the same pitcher is crazy b/c theres nothing wrong w/ his arms legs or back its just his face area which is not needed for pitching lol...
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saemick » Fri May 30, 2008 12:16 am

One-Hitter wrote:
Seriously?? I have Young, and there is NO way I dump him yet. If i get a good offer, or can package a good deal, i'd do it, but there is absolutely no reason to let this guy go yet...I mean, its flippin MAY!

Dude, seriously, get over yourself and get over Chris Young!!

He is mediocre at best, he plays for the lowly Padres, the most games he's ever won in a season is 12 and Albert Pujols broke his friggin' face. Now ask yourself...Do you really think that he's going to come back stronger after that???

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Chris Young is a fierce competitor, blah, blah, blah.....but, DOMINATING????

Come on. Get real.

Yes, he does have his moments and can get you K's but is it really worth it to hold on to this guy until the ASB hoping that when he does come back he turns into the 2001 version of Randy Johnson?? I actually dropped him for the Big Unit the day after his injury. Wanna know why? Because I've played Fantasy Baseball for years and I've played the "Hoping/Waiting" game before. It doesn't work. Let somebody else assume the risk while your team moves forward.

Yes, it IS flippin' May and you should get a clue before it's too late and all the viable pitchers on your WW are all gone.

Here's some more advice: Don't take Yahoo rankings , etc.. as the final word. Use your own judgement sometimes. They had Andruw Jones's O-Rank at 78 at the beginning of the season...LOL!!!!

Out.

WOW, I hadn't checked this topic today...and I think i missed all the fun.

Apparently I know nothing about fantasy baseball. I think I should really drop Young for some WW fodder like Zito or Arroyo, right? ;-7 ;-7 ;-7

You may have been playing fantasy baseball for years...but that doesn't mean you are any good and definitely doesn't mean you can see the future.

I'll hold onto Young, and reap the benefits later

thanks for the advice
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby One-Hitter » Fri May 30, 2008 3:33 am

it's all a matter of opinion. That, my friends, is why people still bet on horses.

urban breeze and the majority of you cafe'ers say that i am an idiot (dumbest post of the year) but that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

you all keep telling yourselves that chris young is going to come back and revert back to form like nothing happened...

i think otherwise and i get chastised for it. but the majority is not always right. remember that!

people like stevethumb and myself take into account the other side of the equation. sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and accept the fact that reality will sometimes get in the way of your fantasy baseball asperations.

i don't know if it matters by now but maybe i shoulda mentioned that i'm in a 12 team 7 x 7 H2H redraft league. while not the greatest option in the world, randy johnson pitched tonight and did respectable. chris young didn't. god bless you all with enough room to carry a question mark on your DL spot.

BTW...I'm currently sitting 3rd in a $200 highly competitive custom league, how are you girls doing in your free Yahoo public leagues?

Okey dokey, have at me again oh wise ones, I'm just a big ole dum dum, don't know a thing about baseball.

Chris Young = 2008 Cy Young
"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
One-Hitter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sandman042 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am

wow ur in third place in ur 12 team "highly competitive" 12 team mix league but chances are that its not as competitve as u think it is. In a 12 team mix league u should not be able to just pick up randy johnson on FA lol. and PPl like Chris Young shouldnt be on FA lol. Any1 reasonable would know that.i am in a 10 team mix league leage and am im not saying how much but it makes ur 200 dollar league minor league and are in first place....

anways ur makjing no sense y wouldnt u not but Chris Young on the dl but instead drop him lol... Every1 is enetilted to ur opinion but u gotta back it up what makes u think he wont be the same pitcher lol.. He does NOT have an arm,leg,back problem, he DOES NOT have a concussion and said after the game that he wanted to still pitch if the trainer could clear the blood away lol.... After his nose heals and he gets surgery to fix the crack in his skull he should be fine(not as serious as sounds).. The only problem then would be mentally.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby felixthecat011 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:15 am

I guess it all depends on who you talk to on here...

There's another recent Chris Young thread where people seem to be pretty high on him:

viewtopic.php?t=348995
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Carew7 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 am

yea i was gonna say... if you're in a highly competitive league as you say how could you have guys like randy johnson on the FA list!! he's been gone all season in my league is like aaron cook who is actually on waivers because someone just dropped him... anyways ya Chris Young is a solid guy to have on your team i would definitely stash him on my DL... as everyone else has been saying there is nothing wrong with his pitching body.. just his face.. last time i checked you can pitch even if u dont have a nose.
Carew7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PujolsJunkie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm

To the guy that called Arroyo WW fodder, I'd advise you to add him. He's been great of late. He runs hot and cold, but he's a solid arm.

As for Young...as per Rotoworld:

"Padres manager Bud Black says a crack in Chris Young's skull has to heal to ensure his brain doesn't get infected.

He also said that Young will need to have a "procedure" to repair his septum. Young still can't taste food and that his sense of smell hasn't returned. Black said it's too early to even begin talking about when Young might be able to start pitching again."

Well that doesn't sound very good. I'd cut Young too at this point if I had someone like Tulo taking up my DL spot.
PujolsJunkie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri May 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Off rotoworld.com today. It sounds pretty serious..

Padres manager Bud Black says a crack in Chris Young's skull has to heal to ensure his brain doesn't get infected.

He also said that Young will need to have a "procedure" to repair his septum. Young still can't taste food and that his sense of smell hasn't returned. Black said it's too early to even begin talking about when Young might be able to start pitching again.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Fri May 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey older fellas that claim to know everything,
I’m not saying he WILL return to form. I’m saying it’s a hasty move to drop him until we find out how his procedures go. Move him to the DL. Wait and watch. If bad news comes after the surgery, drop him. Till then, trust in modern medicine.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

PujolsJunkie wrote:To the guy that called Arroyo WW fodder, I'd advise you to add him. He's been great of late. He runs hot and cold, but he's a solid arm.

As for Young...as per Rotoworld:

"Padres manager Bud Black says a crack in Chris Young's skull has to heal to ensure his brain doesn't get infected.

He also said that Young will need to have a "procedure" to repair his septum. Young still can't taste food and that his sense of smell hasn't returned. Black said it's too early to even begin talking about when Young might be able to start pitching again."

Well that doesn't sound very good. I'd cut Young too at this point if I had someone like Tulo taking up my DL spot.

YEah, but before you knew that it definitely wasn't a good idea to drop him. Now that you know that, you should keep him only while you have the extra DL spot. As urbanbreez says, you should wait to see how the surgery goes. But if you don't have an available DL spot at this point, or if someone else gets injured, I think its time to drop him.

After sustaining an injury like that, even if he does come back, he is going to have problems psychologically pitching again. Wow, I feel so bad for the guy... cracked skull and all. This is a serious injury, my friends! He might not be back this year. Maybe he doesn't use those body parts to pitch, but we're talking about his brain... you don't mess around when it comes to healing your brain. There are some things more important than baseball.

One Hitter, maybe you'll post again saying I told you so, but no matter how much experience you claim to have, you dropped him too early... especially if you have a DL spot available. It may have worked out for you, but thats just luck. Your league doesn't sound all that competitive to me either. That you were able to pick up RJ off waivers tells us that.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates