Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 29, 2008 1:19 pm

One-Hitter wrote:
Seriously?? I have Young, and there is NO way I dump him yet. If i get a good offer, or can package a good deal, i'd do it, but there is absolutely no reason to let this guy go yet...I mean, its flippin MAY!

Dude, seriously, get over yourself and get over Chris Young!!

He is mediocre at best, he plays for the lowly Padres, the most games he's ever won in a season is 12 and Albert Pujols broke his friggin' face. Now ask yourself...Do you really think that he's going to come back stronger after that???

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Chris Young is a fierce competitor, blah, blah, blah.....but, DOMINATING????

Come on. Get real.

Yes, he does have his moments and can get you K's but is it really worth it to hold on to this guy until the ASB hoping that when he does come back he turns into the 2001 version of Randy Johnson?? I actually dropped him for the Big Unit the day after his injury. Wanna know why? Because I've played Fantasy Baseball for years and I've played the "Hoping/Waiting" game before. It doesn't work. Let somebody else assume the risk while your team moves forward.

Yes, it IS flippin' May and you should get a clue before it's too late and all the viable pitchers on your WW are all gone.

Here's some more advice: Don't take Yahoo rankings , etc.. as the final word. Use your own judgement sometimes. They had Andruw Jones's O-Rank at 78 at the beginning of the season...LOL!!!!

Out.

I wish my league was full of players like you that think they know what's going on. Chris Young is far from a mediocre pitcher, fella. :^
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 pm

...Is this guy talking about the same Chris Young that had a 1.93 ERA through August 15th last year? The same one that gave up exactly 0 runs in 10 of his 30 starts, and gave up only one run in 5 more? The same one that gave up just 11 ER in a stretch of 91.2 IP in May 1 through July 31? Even with his mediocre September when the whole Padres team was collapsing, he finished with a 3.12/1.10 ERA/WHIP. There's still time to turn it around this year once he comes back, barring some sort of mental setback.

But he went to Princeton! What kind of mental setbacks could he get? ;-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 pm

One-Hitter wrote:
Seriously?? I have Young, and there is NO way I dump him yet. If i get a good offer, or can package a good deal, i'd do it, but there is absolutely no reason to let this guy go yet...I mean, its flippin MAY!

Dude, seriously, get over yourself and get over Chris Young!!

He is mediocre at best, he plays for the lowly Padres, the most games he's ever won in a season is 12 and Albert Pujols broke his friggin' face. Now ask yourself...Do you really think that he's going to come back stronger after that???

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Chris Young is a fierce competitor, blah, blah, blah.....but, DOMINATING????

Come on. Get real.

Yes, he does have his moments and can get you K's but is it really worth it to hold on to this guy until

the ASB hoping that when he does come back he turns into the 2001 version of Randy Johnson?? I actually dropped him for the Big Unit the day after his injury. Wanna know why? Because I've played Fantasy Baseball for years and I've played the "Hoping/Waiting" game before. It doesn't work. Let somebody else assume the risk while your team moves forward.

Yes, it IS flippin' May and you should get a clue before it's too late and all the viable pitchers on your WW are all gone.

Here's some more advice: Don't take Yahoo rankings , etc.. as the final word. Use your own judgement sometimes. They had Andruw Jones's O-Rank at 78 at the beginning of the season...LOL!!!!

Out.

Yes. Read it again. Relish it. Mustard it. Enjoy it. It’s not everyday you get to read the leading candidate for the, “Dumbest Post of the Year” award. :-°
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 pm

It took an Albert Pujols line drive to break his face. If it was Tony Pena, then I'd be comfortable calling him weak. }:-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:It took an Albert Pujols line drive to break his face. If it was Tony Pena, then I'd be comfortable calling him weak. }:-)

A line drive from Eckstien feels like a butterfly Kiss.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stevethumb » Thu May 29, 2008 3:58 pm

as long as it costs you nothing to hang on to a 4.50 ERA 1.5 whip pitcher in 54 innings this year who has a broken nose, facial fractures, a fractured skull and a concussion then keep him...IMO the liklihood of cyoung being a great pitcher from the ASB to end of season is very very small..i would dump him or trade him whichever suits your team .. let some other guy keep his fingers crossed
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 29, 2008 4:50 pm

stevethumb wrote:as long as it costs you nothing to hang on to a 4.50 ERA 1.5 whip pitcher in 54 innings this year who has a broken nose, facial fractures, a fractured skull and a concussion then keep him...IMO the liklihood of cyoung being a great pitcher from the ASB to end of season is very very small..i would dump him or trade him whichever suits your team .. let some other guy keep his fingers crossed

I don't know, I mean, I guess I can see your point altough those starts you threw out are a teriffically small sample size and completly ignore last season. But, do you really want to be the guy with pie on you face at the end of the year if/when he comes back with something to prove in the fantasy baseball playoffs? I think it's worth a DL roster spot just to make sure you're not "that guy." ;-)
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jswede » Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 pm

stevethumb wrote:as long as it costs you nothing to hang on to a 4.50 ERA 1.5 whip pitcher in 54 innings this year who has a broken nose, facial fractures, a fractured skull and a concussion then keep him...IMO the liklihood of cyoung being a great pitcher from the ASB to end of season is very very small..i would dump him or trade him whichever suits your team .. let some other guy keep his fingers crossed

I don't get it - there's no way he's coming back til FULLY healed, so why even mention the "fractures, concussion, broken nose" etc? This is going to somehow affect him in 2 mos?

In '07 he had ~1.0K/inn, a .192 BAA, 3.12 ERA, 1.10 WHIP. Also had a string of 3 months with 1.13, 1.52 and 0.41 ERA - there was nobody better May-July '07.

In '06 he was JUST short of 1.0K/inn, .206 BAA, and a 3.46 ERA and 1.13 WHIP.

A concussion and a broken nose in MAY, and none of this matters? "Trade him or dump him"?.... How will a concussion and broken nose matter in 60 days? 90?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Some of you act like his arm fell off. Go ahead, drop him. You'll be sorry later. :-°
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stevethumb » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm

any of you young whippersnappers remember herb score ? how about corey koskie and his 2 year battle w/concussion syndrome ? or mike matheny ?
all i am saying is IF you can DL him and it doesnt cost you anything then fine do it and hope he returns to 07 form BUT it is a leap of faith to believe that he will regain 07 form after his most recent 54 IP AND potentially season ending injuries
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates