Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Postby frank69m » Wed May 28, 2008 8:07 pm

I ask because I have a 2 spot limit for my league's DL and I already have 4 people on it including Chris Young (SD Pitcher)...any thoughts on his injury. I was reading around the net, but no one seems to know.
frank69m
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does anyone think Chris Young will pitch again this season?

Postby jh2031 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Chris Young is a competitor. He wanted to stay in the game and pitch the night he got hit. He'll be back this season...just don't know how soon.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stevethumb » Wed May 28, 2008 8:50 pm

i would think that fractured facial bones, broken nose and a concussion are gonna keep him out at least until the ASB..he may be gun shy...then if the padres are still floundering, ???
too many doubts there, i would dump him or try to trade him to a believer
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sandman042 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Yea chris young will def pitch again this yr. We just gotta wait and see now what happens with his nose. and how fast it heals.. cause if its not healed and something like that were to happen again that could have fatal consequences for young so they def will not rush him at all but i think he will be back allstar break around and def by august. But u have to remeber hes gonna need rehab starts to build back his arm strength not to mention any mental problems he may have while pitching. but my guess is hell be fine but only time will tell
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ab » Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Will Carroll made he suggestion of a Rip Hamilton style mask when he does come back, maybe to get him back faster. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Does anyone know if he's having any concussion or post-concussion symptoms? I don't own him in any league, I just ask out of curiosity for his well-being. Bones can be fixed, but a bad concussion can be life-altering.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby saemick » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

stevethumb wrote:i would think that fractured facial bones, broken nose and a concussion are gonna keep him out at least until the ASB..he may be gun shy...then if the padres are still floundering, ???
too many doubts there, i would dump him or try to trade him to a believer

Seriously?? I have Young, and there is NO way I dump him yet. If i get a good offer, or can package a good deal, i'd do it, but there is absolutely no reason to let this guy go yet...I mean, its flippin MAY!
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sandman042 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:33 pm

i just read the little notes under chris young in yahoo and it says along with the fracture nose he has multiple fractures of the facial bone. It also says he has a small fracture in his skull ... ouchhhhhh

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7412/news

not the best of news maybe allstar break seems generous.. i still have no doubt he will be back though this season.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby One-Hitter » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Seriously?? I have Young, and there is NO way I dump him yet. If i get a good offer, or can package a good deal, i'd do it, but there is absolutely no reason to let this guy go yet...I mean, its flippin MAY!

Dude, seriously, get over yourself and get over Chris Young!!

He is mediocre at best, he plays for the lowly Padres, the most games he's ever won in a season is 12 and Albert Pujols broke his friggin' face. Now ask yourself...Do you really think that he's going to come back stronger after that???

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Chris Young is a fierce competitor, blah, blah, blah.....but, DOMINATING????

Come on. Get real.

Yes, he does have his moments and can get you K's but is it really worth it to hold on to this guy until the ASB hoping that when he does come back he turns into the 2001 version of Randy Johnson?? I actually dropped him for the Big Unit the day after his injury. Wanna know why? Because I've played Fantasy Baseball for years and I've played the "Hoping/Waiting" game before. It doesn't work. Let somebody else assume the risk while your team moves forward.

Yes, it IS flippin' May and you should get a clue before it's too late and all the viable pitchers on your WW are all gone.

Here's some more advice: Don't take Yahoo rankings , etc.. as the final word. Use your own judgement sometimes. They had Andruw Jones's O-Rank at 78 at the beginning of the season...LOL!!!!

Out.
"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
One-Hitter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby byfrcp » Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

One-Hitter wrote:

He is mediocre at best, he plays for the lowly Padres, the most games he's ever won in a season is 12 and Albert Pujols broke his friggin' face. Now ask yourself...Do you really think that he's going to come back stronger after that???

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Chris Young is a fierce competitor, blah, blah, blah.....but, DOMINATING????

Come on. Get real.

Yes, he does have his moments and can get you K's but is it really worth it to hold on to this guy until the ASB hoping that when he does come back he turns into the 2001 version of Randy Johnson?? I actually dropped him for the Big Unit the day after his injury. Wanna know why? Because I've played Fantasy Baseball for years and I've played the "Hoping/Waiting" game before. It doesn't work. Let somebody else assume the risk while your team moves forward.

Yes, it IS flippin' May and you should get a clue before it's too late and all the viable pitchers on your WW are all gone.

Here's some more advice: Don't take Yahoo rankings , etc.. as the final word. Use your own judgement sometimes. They had Andruw Jones's O-Rank at 78 at the beginning of the season...LOL!!!!

Out.

Yeah Young is so mediocre he only lead the league in BA against the past 2 seasons...

Let's see...

No shoulder injury
No elbow injury
No wrist injury
No leg injury

When his face heals there will be no side effects to his pitching. This is a guy with a career 3.75 ERA and 1.20 WHIP who strikes out almost 1 per IP. But hey Randy Johnson will probably stay healthy . . . . . . .
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

One-Hitter wrote:

Come on. Get real.

Out.

Yah you sound pretty stupid, Chris Young may not get you wins but his peripherals are very good, and I play in a league with BAA and K/9 as additional stats, last year under these settings he was the 5th best SP in the league. So, yes RJ may provide similar numbers when healthy, but you may need to check up on his stats before you start bashing him.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates