Reyes vs Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes vs Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reyes vs Soriano

Postby metsfan05 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:37 am

Right after the A-Rod Soriano trade, the Mets talked to the Rangers about Soriano. I heard the Rangers would only trade Soriano to the Mets for Jose Reyes and a minor league pitcher. Personally, I wouldn't trade Reyes away for Soriano unless the Mets were GETTING another player too.

I thought most people would agree with me, that the Mets should keep Reyes. He's been the player of the future for several years now, and he was pretty good as a rookie last year.

But these two Yankee fan announcers on WFAN were ripping the Mets, saying it was a no-brainer to acquire Soriano. A lot of callers called in to agree. Does anyone else like Reyes over Soriano (or at least Reyes and a minor league pitcher over Soriano)?
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:47 am

well, we do know that soriano can put up very good numbers at the big league level, however, I would be willing to roll the dice on Reyes.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moose » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:57 am

I like Reyes more too. Why? Because while Sori has had two great years, he's unlikely to keep it up for long. He's such an undisciplined hitter. And a total butcher in the field. I heard fatash and Dog the other day. They are idiots.

No one knows whether Reyes will hit 30+ homers. He's 20. Sori was 25 when he broke in.

Mike Fransecsa might want to push the donuts away and learn about the Mets farm system so he actually KNOWS its best players. Today he asked "who's he?" about David Wright. What a fool. Absolute idiot.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:00 am

The Mets want Soriano but not if Reyes is in the picture. Reyes isnt going anywhere from everything I have read.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gypsyspot » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:00 am

I definetely go with Soriano. He has proven that he can be a star at the major league level, where Reyes is unproven. Reyes however does have a chance to be a solid player.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brendo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:07 am

i saw reyes a lot in the minors, and I don't think he'll ever see the bright side of 25 homers.....his value to the mets and to us is in his speed

because of it he'll steal bases and have a much better AVG than soriano

so it's a question of what you value....reyes is younger (read cheaper for the next 4 years) but soriano is experienced and has more power
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:35 am

Reyes also plays better Defense. If the Mets are smart they should build there team to fit the Stadium and that is Pitching and Defense. So Keeping Reyes is a step in the right direction.

Soriano might always be the better "Fantasy Player", but Reyes just might turn out to be the better player.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dannahann » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:26 am

Andy1234 wrote:Soriano might always be the better "Fantasy Player", but Reyes just might turn out to be the better player.

I don't think there's any "might" to it..Reyes almost definately WILL be the best all around player of the two. In the field the disparity is laughable and Reyes is soooo much younger and likely just beginning to scratch the surface. Those 2 "extra" years really swayed my opinion on Soriano. I used to excuse his poor plate dicipline on youth, but most major leaguers who are destined to improve AT LEAST START TO HAVE A CLUE by 28?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby Brendo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:38 am

dannahann wrote:
Andy1234 wrote:Soriano might always be the better "Fantasy Player", but Reyes just might turn out to be the better player.

I don't think there's any "might" to it..Reyes almost definately WILL be the best all around player of the two. In the field the disparity is laughable and Reyes is soooo much younger and likely just beginning to scratch the surface. Those 2 "extra" years really swayed my opinion on Soriano. I used to excuse his poor plate dicipline on youth, but most major leaguers who are destined to improve AT LEAST START TO HAVE A CLUE by 28?

this is a little harsh

obviously he has a clue....he hits for more power than any other second baseman in the league.....the average will never be .320, but you can live with that

I agree the age thing changes the issue a little bit, but Reyes is by no means a sure thing

and on defense, yes Reyes has more tools there, but no one ever brings up Jeff Kent's defense....yes he's not a great fielder, but so what?? you can hide him at 2nd with a good shortstop.....and now you're asking Reyes to switch positions

I'd take soriano
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:47 am

Brendo wrote:
dannahann wrote:

this is a little harsh

obviously he has a clue....he hits for more power than any other second baseman in the league.....the average will never be .320, but you can live with that

I agree the age thing changes the issue a little bit, but Reyes is by no means a sure thing

and on defense, yes Reyes has more tools there, but no one ever brings up Jeff Kent's defense....yes he's not a great fielder, but so what?? you can hide him at 2nd with a good shortstop.....and now you're asking Reyes to switch positions

I'd take soriano

I was expressly referring to his plate discipline and his worth to a real franchise NOT a fantasy team. His prowess as a power hitting middle infielder is undeniable but his plate discipline IS bad...and worse in my eyes now that I know he's 28. I'd take Soriano too for my fantasy team, but are you meaning (in the last sentence) that the Mets should take Soriano? If so I respectfully disagree.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers