Showing up the other team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Showing up the other team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Showing up the other team

Postby ultrazero » Tue May 27, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm watching the Yankees Orioles game on YES. Michael Kay and Ken Singleton are talking about Joba Chamberlain and how good of a HITTER he is. I think SIngleton said, jokingly, that they should let him DH.

It got me to thinking. Lets say Girardi wanted to give the kid a big league at-bat. When would it be ok to do this? Would the opposing manager feel like Girardi was trying to show them up? Last game of the season? Blow out?

Or is it a matter of... Girardi can put whoever he thinks will get the job done.
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Showing up the other team

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Lol well isn't Carlos Zambrano also a pretty good hitter? Joba would be a nice weapon in NL games I guess.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 27, 2008 10:15 pm

I don't think it's really showing up the other team if they legit think that he can help them as a hitter. If they are considering giving him some ML ABs at some point as a pinch hitter or something, then they've got to get him into a game to hit, and doing it in a blowout is the best opportunity they have.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Madison » Wed May 28, 2008 2:55 am

I don't think that would be showing up the other team at all. With interleague play and the World Series, a team is better off knowing if a pitcher can hit or not, and the only way to know that for sure is to get them to the plate in a real game and see what happens. Letting him try it out during a blowout win or loss would probably go over just fine and personally I don't think that would be showing up the other team at all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 28, 2008 8:34 am

god, baseball is TOO concerned with "showing people up." What game was that where the guy bunted to break up a no hitter, only problem was the game was 1-0 or something like that? I mean the dbacks used owings as a pinch hitter this year, right? Dontrelle Willis is a pretty good hitter as well. I don't see how it would be bad, especially since there is a sizeable quotient of people who feel that pitchers should be batting anyway. I agree that knowing if he can do it or not would be good to know in interleague, or should you make it to the World Series.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 am

No different then letting a position player pitch an inning. something that seems to happen every year or two. If anything, the team that is down should be grateful that they get to face a guy with limited plate experiece rather then, in this example, a Giambi/Duncan type hitter.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 am

Joba thinks he's Babe Ruth. :-D

Last February or so I got to sit in the studio audience when YES filmed the Joba Chamberlain episode of the YESterdays. Joba was all geeked up to hit, and they brought out his old little league coaches who said he could hit. I think Mike Anderson, coach of the Nebraska baseball team, even said Joba could hit OK. But let’s face it – this is the big leagues. We’re not going to see too many Micah Owings-like pitchers, and Joba is certainly no Micah Owings.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 0CUBS4ME » Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Whether you are showing up the other team or not is strictly in the eyes of the opposing pitcher and maybe his manager. Even if that's not what your intention is, you're likely to get your pitcher plunked with a fastball to the noggin. It would be a stupid thing to do.
0CUBS4ME
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Man I thought this was going to be about his fist pumping. :-°

He should get some AB's in interleague... and of course the WS. ;-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby horatio » Wed May 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Now if the Yanks decided to let Billy Crystal bat while holding a sizeable lead that might qualify.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers