kershaw or bruce? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

kershaw or bruce?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

kershaw or bruce?

Postby jdip5 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:11 pm

just a fun little opinion thread with the top 2 prospects makin debuts a couple days difference...who does everyone think will have better seasons, and which one does everyone seeing be a better future pro. i no they play different positions obviously but in fantasy value which one would u rather have?
jdip5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: kershaw or bruce?

Postby Spectrum » Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 pm

I sure hope it's Bruce, because I burned waivers on Scherzer, and won't get Kershaw in my main league.

I'd have to expect Bruce to have a bigger impact this season, because I think Kershaw is going to be on a really strict innings limit this year. He's only 20 and I think they only let him go 30IP a month.

As far as long term, I'd be willing to bet both of them have great careers. I never got a chance to see Kershaw actually pitch until he made his debut, and his curve looks filthy...
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Ones a pitcher ones a hitter. Tough to compare.
Looking at the most recent rookies to make the jump to the majors, it seems as though pitchers have the most impact in there first season as far as fantasy goes.
I believe Bruce has a better chance at keeping the starting gig then Kershaw, but it all really deppends on how Kershaw pitches his next couple starts. After that I will be able to come to a real conclusion.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nolanwood » Tue May 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Bruce. ;-D
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Za_German » Wed May 28, 2008 12:55 am

Looking at the most recent rookies to make the jump to the majors, it seems as though pitchers have the most impact in there first season as far as fantasy goes.

Have to disagree with you there. Every rookie goes through an adjustment phase once they get to the majors - and more often than not that adjustment phase lasts longer for rookie pitchers than rookie hitters. Recent examples of rookie hitters making a big impact right away: Braun, Soto, Votto, Longoria (starting to heat up), and it certainly appears Bruce (book is still out of course, but hell of a debut). Recent examples of rookie pitchers struggling: Andrew Miller (top pitching prospect a couple years ago) and Cueto. Even Lincecum and Hammels had adjustment phases. It seems like the better and more talented the pitcher the less time it will take to adjust - but there will be an adjustment. Extremely talented rookie hitters seem to have little to no adjustment once they reach the bigs. Add that managers are careful with rookie pitchers pitch counts, and you have to conclude that rookie pitchers are less equipped to contribute in a significant way immediately.

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 am

out of those 2 I'll take Homer Bailey.

I mean Bruce.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheIceman » Wed May 28, 2008 1:03 pm

How about both. I have them both on my team :-B
TheIceman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Za_German wrote:

Have to disagree with you there. Every rookie goes through an adjustment phase once they get to the majors - and more often than not that adjustment phase lasts longer for rookie pitchers than rookie hitters. Recent examples of rookie hitters making a big impact right away: Braun, Soto, Votto, Longoria (starting to heat up), and it certainly appears Bruce (book is still out of course, but hell of a debut). Recent examples of rookie pitchers struggling: Andrew Miller (top pitching prospect a couple years ago) and Cueto. Even Lincecum and Hammels had adjustment phases. It seems like the better and more talented the pitcher the less time it will take to adjust - but there will be an adjustment. Extremely talented rookie hitters seem to have little to no adjustment once they reach the bigs. Add that managers are careful with rookie pitchers pitch counts, and you have to conclude that rookie pitchers are less equipped to contribute in a significant way immediately.

TOP PROSPECT Rookie starters that come up at some point during the season tend to be more effective then hitters. You chose Andrew Miller? But forgot Recent successors Felix Hernandez, Jered Weaver, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jeremey Bonderman(until he blew up) Francisco Liriano. (Tim Lincecum, Cole Hamels)

My argument was that top prospect pitchers who are brought up once the season has started tend to be more effective then hitters. Pitchers are ready to go when they come to the majors, where hitters need to make adjustments.

As far as a learning curves go it doesen't matter if it's in the same season as long as they over come it. I would consider Lincecums season a successful one last year.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates