Joba Chamberlain starting next week! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joba Chamberlain starting next week!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joba Chamberlain starting next week!

Postby harold_bush » Tue May 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Sweet news for us Joba owners!

May 26 RHP Joba Chamberlain will take his next step toward the rotation Wednesday and manager Joe Girardi said it could be his final one before he begins starting. "It could be, but we'll see," Girardi said. Chamberlain is scheduled to throw 50-55 pitches Wednesday against Baltimore, which means his next pitch count could make it difficult to restrain him to the bullpen. Girardi said LHP Andy Pettitte's start would not be cut short to accommodate Chamberlain's appearance.

May 27 Update: The Yankees are now considering moving Chamberlain to the rotation after his relief outing on Wednesday, the NY Newsday reports.

Recommendation: If that plan sticks, he’d like get his first start early next week, while the starter that he replaces could be used to replace him after he hits a limited pitch count in that outing. His timetable depends somewhat on many pitches he throws on Wednesday, but since he won’t be sent down to the minors, it sounds like he’ll be in the rotation sooner than the Yanks initially let on.

That first start may be dicey from a win perspective, as he will likely be limited to 75 pitches or so, but most will have to start him due to ratio/strikeout help. If all goes as planned his first start will be in Yankee stadium versus a below par offense in Toronto. Yippee!!
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Joba Chamberlain starting next week!

Postby mde » Tue May 27, 2008 4:42 pm

I HATE misleading topics like this that make it sound like it's an absolute certainty. :-t :-t

"Joba Chamberlain might be starting next week!" is more appropriate.
mde
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby harold_bush » Tue May 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Joba Chamberlain-R-Yankees May. 27 - 4:23 pm et

Joba Chamberlain could start following his next relief appearance for the Yankees.

Chamberlain is expected to throw around 55 pitches on Wednesday, and finding a situation where he could take the next step and throw around 70 pitches could be hard, so the team might consider letting him start a game. The Yankees could then go with a six-man rotation for the time being.
Source: Newsday
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
UT-Chris Young

harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby harold_bush » Tue May 27, 2008 4:56 pm

mde wrote:I HATE misleading topics like this that make it sound like it's an absolute certainty. :-t :-t

:~( :~( :~(

Dude, info is info, don't be sensitive about it. Think about it, how in the hell are they going to have him throw 70-75 pitches IN A RELIEF SITUATION??? He has to start unless they are planning on their starter throwing 2 or 3 innings. Use some common sense.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
UT-Chris Young

harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mde » Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm

harold_bush wrote:
mde wrote:I HATE misleading topics like this that make it sound like it's an absolute certainty. :-t :-t

:~( :~( :~(

Dude, info is info, don't be sensitive about it. Think about it, how in the hell are they going to have him throw 70-75 pitches IN A RELIEF SITUATION??? He has to start unless they are planning on their starter throwing 2 or 3 innings. Use some common sense.

Wrong, there is a different between factual info and speculative info. Until the Yankees name him as the starter, then there's always the chance that you could be wrong.

But you're right. It's impossible for a pitcher to make 80-90 pitches after 3-4 innings and then bring in Joba after that. The day that happens, someone will hit 3 HR in one game.
mde
College Coach
College Coach

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed May 28, 2008 12:19 am

I think this is not a bad prediction, though what I see happening is that the Yanks might send Joba down to AAA for a start or two to stretch out his arm before bringing him back to the majors. Who knows, though, New York's desperate for good pitching and might decide that Joba's 5 innings will be better than getting those same innings from the Moose.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mde » Wed May 28, 2008 1:49 am

freeling_prideful wrote:I think this is not a bad prediction, though what I see happening is that the Yanks might send Joba down to AAA for a start or two to stretch out his arm before bringing him back to the majors. Who knows, though, New York's desperate for good pitching and might decide that Joba's 5 innings will be better than getting those same innings from the Moose.

Well, this is the prediction that other fantasy news outlets have made and I also assume is correct. My only gripe is that he states it as fact instead of speculation.
mde
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 28, 2008 6:46 am

mde wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:I think this is not a bad prediction, though what I see happening is that the Yanks might send Joba down to AAA for a start or two to stretch out his arm before bringing him back to the majors. Who knows, though, New York's desperate for good pitching and might decide that Joba's 5 innings will be better than getting those same innings from the Moose.

Well, this is the prediction that other fantasy news outlets have made and I also assume is correct. My only gripe is that he states it as fact instead of speculation.

I agree. The title is misleading...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed May 28, 2008 10:47 am

Yeah, the title is misleading, but did anyone actually change their plans significantly before reading the thread? So what have we lost as a result of the misleading title? A moment of exhilaration followed by a small (and yes, it is small) letdown. Believe me, there are more serious things we could be talking about, even within the fantasy baseball realm. I think people need to chill out a little bit, I hear Atavan helps.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby harold_bush » Wed May 28, 2008 10:50 am

The info is what it is. What, if the title read Joba might be starting next week you would have been able to rest easier the past couple days? Did those three seconds between when you saw the title and read the post have an adverse imapct on your life. Are you having nightmares b/c I didn't use the word might?

Let's see the big picture here guys. I think some people just like to justify their existence by posting something. What you posted provided no fantsy help whatsoever, and that is the point of the site. Why don't you put up a reply telling me that I mispelled fantasy in the sentence above. It would have an equal contribution to saying you didn't like my title. Frankly I, nor 95% of the people really care what you think about my title.

Good day!
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
UT-Chris Young

harold_bush