Pineiro
Contreras
Weaver

Percival
Mantei
Julio
Nathan
Chacon

Do I have enough with my pitching staff to be respectable. I have a high powered offense so I'm hoping my staff will get me through.
The Red Sox Win, The Red Sox Win, My Gramma can rest in peace, The Red Sox win
OldeTowneTeamGuy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball genius » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:09 pm

I like all of the saves you will be raking in but your starters are only average. To win the league you will need some more pitching IMO.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:12 pm

How many teams are in this league? Your top 4 are fine, Weaver is a bit of a risk, especially with no insurance starting pitchers on your bench. You will probably need to deal a RP for a starter.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:32 pm

i agree, offload weaver. your top 4 are nice. i like santana and pineiro this year. nice pickups!

im assuming with those closers you are punting WHIP and ERA, cuz a couple of those guys will kill u in those categories.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Here's what I was thinking

Postby OldeTowneTeamGuy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:14 am

I actually love holding onto weaver. He WILL revert back form in LA. Gammons said as much recently. I was thinking of trying to package some of the relief to upgrade w/ contreras though. I'd like to hold onto percival and mantei. what do you think?
The Red Sox Win, The Red Sox Win, My Gramma can rest in peace, The Red Sox win
OldeTowneTeamGuy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RynMan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:38 am

IMO i would take contreras over weaver anyday, and i would say 4 out of 5 people in here would also, but hey thats wat fantasy is all about - going with gut feelin's and what you believe. yeah, package someone and upgrade that extra bit.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:06 am

Your Staff is very respectable, but it does depend on league size. You have too many closers, I would try and deal one for a SP. That would make Weaver a bench option so you won't have to rely so much at him returning to form. If he does your a solid 6 deep and have a starter as trade bait, if he doesn't you still have a soild 5.

All this is assuming Contreras will be a solid SP, and I am one who does think he is.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:58 pm

prior's the best pitcher in the game.

santana is a damn fine pitcher too, but durability is the only question in my mind.

so that's a good twoheaded monster to start off with.

pineiro could be a 3.something era 15 win pitcher at best, but at worst around 10 wins and a low 4 era. solid end of the rotation pitcher.

any yankee starter has a shot at 15 wins, but at what ERA price? i see contreras at 3.5-4.5, dunno where, that will sort itself out.

weaver is overrated. he had like 1 1/2 good seasons in detroit went to new york and imploded. he's on the dodgers? well unless he fixed his head awfully quick, he's not going to have the run support that the yanks would give him, so i wouldnt count on him to win.

good crop of RPs, you should be fighting for the saves title in the league.

so i'd bump weaver out of the mix and depending on your tradable commodities try to land another #2-3 pitcher, around that johan santana type level (young, not fully proven, and cheaper than an established one), maybe you can package a 25/80ish type bat with one of your lesser relievers to do that and you wont catch that much potential damage if it blows up in your face.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers