Atlanta closer situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Atlanta closer situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Atlanta closer situation

Postby drewdat » Tue May 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I think Smoltz might start in the playoffs should that scenario present itself, and possibly would start building stamina in the last few weeks if it made sense. If it's a close race (or if the Braves are out of it - would he continue pitching through pain?), though, it would be hard to change his role much.
drewdat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sansav » Tue May 27, 2008 7:55 pm

There is absolutely no way that Smoltz will start another game. He has stated that he needs to go to the pen, there is no scenario that I could fathom where Smoltz starts another game in his career. If the Braves were bad this yer he would have just retired after this latest injury The only reason he is coming back as a reliver is because he wants 1 more chance in the post season
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Smoltz is definitely 1st in line, but I'd keep Soriano around. Smoltz's shoulder injury makes me wonder how much he'll be able to pitch (back-to-backs, etc.) and whether or not he actually stays healthy the rest of the year....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby claudish21 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:06 am

If all goes well saturday Smoltz could be activated before the Marlins series this Monday

Plan accordingly

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080530&content_id=405842&vkey=news_l116&fext=.jsp&sid=l116
claudish21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sansav » Fri May 30, 2008 10:08 pm

I heard an interview with Smoltz today, he says he feels pretty good. He acknowledged that he will not be at the level when he closed a few years ago, but feels like he can be effective. I would be very surpised if he pitched back to back games and will not go more than 1 IP. My opinion, I think he'll probably get about 75% of the saves once he gets back
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm

sansav wrote:I would be very surpised if he pitched back to back games and will not go more than 1 IP. My opinion, I think he'll probably get about 75% of the saves once he gets back

I agree.I see this like the BJ Ryan situation in the beginning of the year,no back to back games and no more than 1IP, with Rafael Soriano getting the rest of the saves.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates