Why isn't OBP the standard by now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why isn't OBP the standard by now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why isn't OBP the standard by now?

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 pm

T-Bird, since we're still relatively early in the season, could you post your H2H matchups for the triples category for each week so far this season? I'm interested to see some of the scores.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm in a league that counts triples, I have 13 and the leader has 20. The person in last in that category has four. It's a pretty flukey stat and I hate it.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby T-Bird 93 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 am

great gretzky wrote:well I'm not wrong. The leaders in runs are not just dominated by "power hitters" year in year out unless such bombers as reyes, ichiro, sizemore, reyes, granderson, abreu, and on and on. Players like Hanley, Rollins, Abreu, Granderson, Sizemore all have power elements to their game, but the list seems dominated by these types to me. I hardly consider themselves "power hitters" in the common sense of the word. They are a significant piect to the fantasy puzzle, but they ain't carrying you in that regard either. Of course power hitters will also be on that list, as some of the usual suspects are also on good offenses. Some of the previous guys also hit for some power, and of course, Ortiz, Arod etc will also score them. But by and large, the people who score the most runs either have anomaly years, are awesome players on good lineups, or are at the top of the lineups. I don't buy your argument at all. You can slice it and dice it all you want, and you are right, power hitters have influence on other stats. But at the end of the day, having triples count the same to your weekly score as any other categories is pretty ridiculous. They are are both rare and not entirely dependent on the hitter.

I asked earlier, how do you try and get a triple into your lineup? Can you predict to some degree? Can you play matchups? Not really. We know the people who have the speed to get one. But, how would one manage FOR the triple? How would one make up ground there? The premise seems a little ridiculous given the frequency of the event.

I play in a league pretty close to your setup, and its fun. but with such stuff like triples, CG and SHO, it feels like quite the crapshoot. And triples really seem to be one of those swing cats that net you an advantage, yet they just happen, even though we know the guys it COULD happen to. The other traditional stats are predictable within reason that one manager could reasonably trade for the stat. i don't see the same dynamic at work with this.

Predict when a player will hit that Triple? Well, if you can predict when a player is going to hit a homerun, I would love to subscribe to your newsletter.
T-Bird 93
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby T-Bird 93 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:26 am

bigh0rt wrote:T-Bird, since we're still relatively early in the season, could you post your H2H matchups for the triples category for each week so far this season? I'm interested to see some of the scores.

Not a problem.

1. 2-1 Win
2. 2-0 Win
3. 1-2 Loss
4. 0-1 Loss
5. 1-0 Win
6. 3-1 Win
7. 6-2 Win
8. 1-0 Win
T-Bird 93
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 am

T-Bird 93 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:T-Bird, since we're still relatively early in the season, could you post your H2H matchups for the triples category for each week so far this season? I'm interested to see some of the scores.

Not a problem.

1. 2-1 Win
2. 2-0 Win
3. 1-2 Loss
4. 0-1 Loss
5. 1-0 Win
6. 3-1 Win
7. 6-2 Win
8. 1-0 Win

Do you see a large disparity between these scores, and the scores of your other batting categories? Do you average 2.0 per week of any other batting category?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Ursa » Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 am

T-Bird 93 wrote:

Not a problem.

1. 2-1 Win
2. 2-0 Win
3. 1-2 Loss
4. 0-1 Loss
5. 1-0 Win
6. 3-1 Win
7. 6-2 Win
8. 1-0 Win

With half of these being 1-0 or 2-0, I think that pretty much seals the argument that triples aren't a really viable category. Just IMO.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mkultra » Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 am

T-Bird 93 wrote:Predict when a player will hit that Triple? Well, if you can predict when a player is going to hit a homerun, I would love to subscribe to your newsletter.

There are way more HR's hit than triples.

T-Bird 93 wrote:1. 2-1 Win
2. 2-0 Win
3. 1-2 Loss
4. 0-1 Loss
5. 1-0 Win
6. 3-1 Win
7. 6-2 Win
8. 1-0 Win

OK, what's the HR spread of those weeks?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby great gretzky » Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 am

again, no one can "predict" anything, no need to confuse linguistic shorthand for precision. I think the point still holds. You can make moves that can help the likelihood of accruing a homerun. Triples are something that will happen to certain players more than others. But they are are infrequent relative to the other types of offensive stats, and its a guessing game, as there isn't a rhyme or reason to when they happen, the only constant is a player is fast enough to capitalize when the random forces happen, to capitalize on it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby T-Bird 93 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I don't have a problem with winning or losing the Triple stat for the week by 1-0. That is just part of the game. There is luck involved at every turn in this game. This is the major hangup you guys are having here. Just like when my team goes off for 16 HRs one week and then only scores 3 the next. It's just part of the game.

We do feel it is important to count every hit a player gets in the game though. It's kinda silly to cherry pick one type of hit a player gets and call it fantasy baseball... That would be like playing fantasy football, but only counting passing yards on Touchdowns of 50 yards or longer.

So I guess we are all gonna have to agree to disagree here. I would suggest to those who have never played in a 9x9 league to try it out. Some of you might like to get the full experience that represents baseball the best IMO.

Good talk, Russ.
T-Bird 93
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 pm

The same problem exists in hockey where shorthanded goals are counted- I think they're actually a Yahoo standard category. A lot of weeks you end up with a 0-0 tie and it's really just luck if you win the category. Same goes for triples, in a H2H league you don't want to use them. It's not a fluke that triples happen but more often than not it's a fluke to win triples for the week. It's just luck assuming everyone has a speedster on their team and even if you don't you could still manage to win it some weeks. I wouldn't mind them in roto but not in H2H.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers