Jay Bruce Called UP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jay Bruce Called UP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jay Bruce Called UP

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im wondering where you guys are getting your projections from. I understand that age is probably the biggest negative going against him, but aside from that, doesnt he project to be a +.300 hitter given the usual minor league projection techniques? Also, hasnt there been an awful lot of players that have made immediate impacts in the majors after first getting called up?

Maybe its just me, but I can see Bruce hitting closer to .300 this yr considering he was the minor league player of the year in 2007 and the type of stats he was putting up so far this yr.

Gordon was minor league player of the year in 2006 and struggled mightily through most of his first year. Delmon Young was minor league player of the year in 2005 and is still falling short on most peoples expectations after two years. Point is that even the best and most hyped prospects have chance to struggle when called up to the majors. I agree with J35J, we should temper our expectations to avoid great disappointment...

beefcurtain wrote:So no chance of a Braun-like impact?

There is always a chance ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm

%-6

A.Gordon and B.Butler think there is more to succeeding than putting up good numbers in the minors. Truth is there is no way you can tell if a guy will be good out of the gates or if it will take them a few years. All you can do is put yourself in the best position, by adding him to your team, and crossing your fingers.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby sandman042 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:23 pm

i agree 100% w/ jake harv that we gotta be reasonable w/ our expectations cause brauns come around very rarely and pence dont come round alot either. but i dont agree w/ the gordon and delmon young comparisons. alex gordon came staright from AA he never palyed AAA. He did dominate AA though. Delmon in 2005 batted .285 in AAA and in 06 batted .317 w/ 8 hrs in about 80 or so games thats no where never the level of bruce right now in les games.. Bruce is batting over .360 in AAA... Bruce is a pure hitter. I remeber last yr all the analysts were saying how braun and pence would slow down because of there bb to k ratipo but they never did. i tempering my expectations w/ bruce but .295 18 hrs 10 sbs is very reasoable...
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue May 27, 2008 4:28 pm

There is always some chance, but what Ryan Braun did last year was extremely unusual. Thus, the chances of it being repeated are always going to be low.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby stevethumb » Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 pm

i think bruce has a # of factors in his favor..
1) he has hit at every level including 187 ABs in AAA last year and almost 200 ABs at AAA this year
2) he has always been one of the youngest players at each level and yet continues to rake
3) he has kgriffey to mentor him .. another L-L phenom w/high expectations from 20 yrs ago
4) the ballpark is a very good hitters park
5) it's doubtful that there will be any pressure of a pennant race in cinci this summer

i think it's reasonable to expect .280 13 HRs 52 RBIs 6 SBs
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby quikzy » Tue May 27, 2008 5:28 pm

so is he starting today? if not when do u guys think he will be in the lineup
quikzy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue May 27, 2008 6:16 pm

quikzy wrote:so is he starting today? if not when do u guys think he will be in the lineup

All indicators point to him being in the starting lineup. I doubt they would call him up only to use him in a pinch hitting situation.

Here we go, fellas. Let's hope for a heck of a ride from here on out ;-D
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotoquest » Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 pm

The Mighty Trow wrote:
quikzy wrote:so is he starting today? if not when do u guys think he will be in the lineup

All indicators point to him being in the starting lineup. I doubt they would call him up only to use him in a pinch hitting situation.

Here we go, fellas. Let's hope for a heck of a ride from here on out ;-D

Well, Ian Snell has been pretty hittable this year, and I hope bruce knocks the snot out of the ball tonite to bolster his confidence & psyche.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby quefick2 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:
rotoquest wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:What are the numbers you guys are projecting for the rest of the year?

60 R 12-15HR 45-50 RBI 10 SB .275 avg

Depending on where he hits in the lineup (I'm guessing #2) I have him around:
70 R 16 HR 50 RBI 16 SB .295 avg

Id have to say
140R 74HR 130 RBI 50SB .395 avg
quefick2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby neoforce » Tue May 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Lineups posted, Bruce is playing CF, batting 2nd!
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers