Babies for Sale on eBay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Babies for Sale on eBay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Babies for Sale on eBay

Postby thedude » Mon May 26, 2008 5:17 pm

BERLIN (AP) — Authorities in southern Germany said Saturday they have taken custody of a 7-month-old boy after his parents posted an ad on eBay offering to sell him for one euro, the equivalent of $1.57.

Peter Hieber, a spokesman for police in the Bavarian town of Krumbach, said the baby was placed in the care of youth services in the southwestern Allgaeu region, although the child's 23-year-old mother insisted the ad was only a joke.

Authorities have launched an investigation into possible child trafficking against the baby's mother and 24-year-old father, neither of whom was identified.

"Offering my nearly new baby for sale, as it has gotten too loud. It is a male baby, nearly 28 inches (70 cm) long and can be used either in a baby carrier or a stroller," police quoted the ad as reading.

No offers were made for the child in the two hours and 30 minutes the ad was posted on Tuesday. EBay later deleted the posting, but assisted police in tracking down the parents.

Several people who saw the ad alerted police.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hRJa ... AD90S6DB00
Last edited by thedude on Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Babies for Sale on eBay

Postby zepfan » Mon May 26, 2008 9:36 pm

I just read about this on Yahoo's homepage. Not too much info about it yet but I'd have to assume at this point that it was a joke, albeit a bad one. Some people want these parents crucified, if the ad wasn't a joke then I would agree, but if it is a joke, I think the "rot in hell/prison" comments are a bit harsh. I doubt that the child was ever in any danger but I could be wrong. To be honest with all the "joke" postings on Ebay I'm actually not too surprised by this.

Having said that, if the parents are actually messed up enough to try to sell their kid on Ebay, then they deserve whatever they have coming.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:57 am

this is obviously a joke and its pretty easy to tell by the wording they used in the ad... people need to stop being so uptight and get over it. it should be looked into initially but it seems to be going too far.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:this is obviously a joke and its pretty easy to tell by the wording they used in the ad... people need to stop being so uptight and get over it. it should be looked into initially but it seems to be going too far.

agreed.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 am

What is the return policy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm

seriously, there isn't a parent alive who didn't jokingly say something about selling, "trading in" or whatever with their kid.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to General Talk