When to punt a category? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to punt a category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When to punt a category?

Postby Gags Sports » Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Here's why you shouldn't punt a category.

I'm going to use a 10 team league (5x5) as an example because the math is easier to follow, but the same holds true no matter how many teams.

Let's assume you'll need 80 points (or 80% of the maximum points you could earn) to win your 10 team league. Obviously this won't hold true for all leagues, but on average, it is a good benchmark. Now if you average that out over the 10 categories, and assume you score 8 points in each of the 10 categories (which should be your goal), then you will obtain the 80 points needed to win the league.

However, now let's assume you need 80 points to win the league, but you decided you wanted to punt saves. Since you're going to be scoring a 1 in saves, you'll need to get 79 points out of the remaining 9 categories. That works out to 8.78 per category. This means you'll have to finish the year with 9 points in 7 categories and 8 points in 2 categories. That's a pretty insane season and not too realistic to expect.

Whether your league has 10 teams, 12 teams, 8 teams or 20 teams, you should still be aiming for 80% of total possible points in each category and if you can obtain this goal you are well on your way to winning your league.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leena » Tue May 27, 2008 12:58 am

Even in my 8 team league with 5 potential spots for closers, there's nothing. Just do the math... 8 teams X 5 closers = 40, and bench spots.

Since you're not even last in saves, I don't see why you'd want to punt now.

And it's not like you'll get an elite player for Capps, anyway.
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 am

Yea, I play in an 8 team league, and there aren't saves. I play in a 10 team league, and there aren't saves on the wire. And there certainly aren't in 12 teamers.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gws226 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 am

great gretzky wrote:Yea, I play in an 8 team league, and there aren't saves. I play in a 10 team league, and there aren't saves on the wire. And there certainly aren't in 12 teamers.

Ditto here. I'm not going to say I won saves last year, but I did close out with gems like Dotel, Embree, and Gregg. All FA pickups on my roster in a 10 team roto that had a holds cat.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers