King Felix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

King Felix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: King Felix?

Postby Sammy_D » Sat May 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Slayer Rules wrote: At some point it comes down to the individual player - maybe he's frustrated or whatever, but he's not been good this year - simple fact. From a fantsy standpoint he's a WHIP-killer, plain and simple. He's the new Matt Cain of the AL in the W category.

There aren't any sympathy points awarded in FBB for individual players' extenuating circumstances...

So, pretty good this time, no?
Sammy_D
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slayer Rules » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:06 am

Sammy_D wrote:So, pretty good this time, no?

No doubt. If this had been the beginning of the season I would have started him. Back then I was starting him regardless of matchup. Unfortunately he's cost me 3 spots in the ERA category (dropped from #12 to #9) with his poor play over the last month (roto), so he's no longer an auto-start for me. I will not start him v teams like Boston or Detroit for the forseeable future - you're just asking for trouble.

The way he pitched today is definitely what he's capable of. The 1st inning looked like more of the same crap we've seen for a while - he took 25 pitches to get through the 1st. Today something seemed to click after the first and he was absoultely nails.

A lot has been said about McLaren pitching him too long. This will happen when the guy takes 25-30 pitches to get through innings time after time after time. If he could just get people out (as he did today after the 1st) he would actually have a normal pitch count come the 7th-8th innings and it wouldn't be such a big deal to pitch him longer. This argument is a red herring as far as I'm concerned. Mac's trying to get W's, and as inconsistent as Felix is he's better than the M's available long relief. If Felix was more effective during the early innings no one would be talking about his pitch counts.

What have I learned today? Nothing. Felix is a maddeningly inconsistent pitcher who has - IMO - regressed over the past 2 years. I've been shopping him for the last couple of weeks and there are no takers in my league. For better or for worse I'm apparently stuck with him. I went so far as to offer him straight up for Carlos Gomez and was turned down.

I keep hearing "he's young". Yes, he is. But apparently that is an excuse for him not being a stud. I accept that - just stop referring to him as a "stud" then and bringing up the "NBYS" axiom - you can't have it both ways.

I was fortunate enough to snag Lince last yr in his rookie yr. There is no comparison b/n Lince and "Queen" - Lince is so far superior it's not even close - and Lince plays for a crap team as well.

Good luck to all of you Felix owners out there - as far as this guy is concerned, matchups don't matter. He is as volatile as he is brilliant....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:54 am

Slayer Rules wrote:Good luck to all of you Felix owners out there - as far as this guy is concerned, matchups don't matter. He is as volatile as he is brilliant....

Which can be said for just about any young pitcher!! I'm not sure why you're comparing him to Lincecum. What does that matter?? He is 22, and is still learning how to pitch, how to control his emotions, and how to overcome adversity. His ceiling is limitless, and you just never know when he's going to put it all together. A little luck and some better management from McLaren and this guy could have much better numbers. I think maybe you had higher expectations for him than you should have. What exactly were you expecting from him?? He now has a 3.29 ERA and a 1.36 whip!! Whip isn't good, but it isn't going to kill you!! Sure he's been inconsistent, but what young pitchers aren't??
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Slayer Rules » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 am

pangbones wrote:Which can be said for just about any young pitcher!! I'm not sure why you're comparing him to Lincecum. What does that matter??

Why not? Lince is also a "young pitcher" - not sure why this is a poor comparison
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 am

No comparison between Felix and Lince?
Calm down... Lets remember Felix is nearly TWO years younger then Lincecum, Timmys just a more polished pitcher then Felix. But to act like his stuff is no where near as good as Lincecum is insane. This kid has some of the best stuff in the league, and the funny part is he's STILL one of the youngest starters in the league and has already pitched two full seasons. He has plenty of time to polish off his game.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:33 am

activechamp2006 wrote:No comparison between Felix and Lince?
Calm down... Lets remember Felix is nearly TWO years younger then Lincecum, Timmys just a more polished pitcher then Felix. But to act like his stuff is no where near as good as Lincecum is insane. This kid has some of the best stuff in the league, and the funny part is he's STILL one of the youngest starters in the league and has already pitched two full seasons. He has plenty of time to polish off his game.

I agree with you - buy what you're saying applies more to those who are in keeper leagues. Up to now I've only participated in re-drafts. If you drafted Felix in a re-draft, you're not getting a lot of ROI (I took him in the 8th round - 2nd P taken after Haren in rd 6)
Also - Felix has quite a bit more major-league experience than Timmy - shouldn't that count for something?
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:10 am

Slayer Rules wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:No comparison between Felix and Lince?

I agree with you - buy what you're saying applies more to those who are in keeper leagues. Up to now I've only participated in re-drafts. If you drafted Felix in a re-draft, you're not getting a lot of ROI (I took him in the 8th round - 2nd P taken after Haren in rd 6)
Also - Felix has quite a bit more major-league experience than Timmy - shouldn't that count for something?

Even in a re-draft league, Felix has a 3.29 ERA and 69k's in 82 innings. Not shabby considering he really hasen't been pitching all that well.
As for Felix being the "Matt cain of the AL". Let's not forget the Seattle Mariners were predicted by MANY to win the division this season. They are still a very talented ball club, and I expect them to improve to right around a .500 team.

Felix is 3-5 after the first two months of this season
He was 3-3 at the same time last season. (and he ended the season with 14 wins)

I'm not too worried about Felix's win total. Or for that matter his overall value.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yossarian » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Crap. That means I have the Matt Cain of the AL AND the NL.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 405z06 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:44 pm

yossarian wrote:Crap. That means I have the Matt Cain of the AL AND the NL.

lol me too
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Ursa wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:Against KC, Toronto or some similar offensively challenged team, sure I'd start him. BOS and DET? No thanks.

Completely agree. I own Felix in a weekly league and decided to sit him even though he has two starts. I have NEVER done that with a drafted pitcher before but I took one look at the opposition and decided discretion was the better part of valor.

After tonight, looks like we were right.

Well, looks like I was totally wrong after all. I left 39 points on my bench this week and coincidentally that's the exact amount of my deficit against my opponent (although I did use Wolf instead and he has 11 points plus whatever he gets today). Still, this is the last time I bench a drafted two-start pitcher whoever the opposition is.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates