King Felix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

King Felix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: King Felix?

Postby Ursa » Tue May 27, 2008 12:49 am

Slayer Rules wrote:Against KC, Toronto or some similar offensively challenged team, sure I'd start him. BOS and DET? No thanks.

Completely agree. I own Felix in a weekly league and decided to sit him even though he has two starts. I have NEVER done that with a drafted pitcher before but I took one look at the opposition and decided discretion was the better part of valor.

After tonight, looks like we were right.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby campbem1 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 am

Maybe it's just me, but I really think the manager or someone else needs to start calling his pitches. I'm sitting back and calling them from my armchair and almost every time he throws something else. With the stuff he has I just see too many wasted pitches and too many wasted opportunities to strike people out.
campbem1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cwrtlm » Tue May 27, 2008 1:22 am

I was pleased with his outing. He was almost unhittable for 7.2 innings. Just seem to tire a little or didn't get some calls on close pitches. All in all alot better of an outing than the last 2 times out. Some of us don't have the luxury of sitting a top 25 pitcher, especially when he has 2 starts. 9 points tonight isn't too bad, could have been alot better though if he could have gotten out of that inning. ;-)
FWIW the Tigers Offense didn't look too good tonight either maybe they will stay cold for the week and the hitters on the M's can get it going. I mean 1 run of support over 8 innings isn't alot of help for your pitcher.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue May 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Sammy_D wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:Another implosion - sorry to those who started him

Nice to see you decided to chime in after the 4run 8th.

I mean 2 hits through 7 innings and you were nowhere to be found. What a troll.

LOL - hey there, Stud - why don't you read the first few posts in the thread?
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue May 27, 2008 1:07 pm

cwrtlm wrote:I was pleased with his outing.....

Hey - if a 5.87 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 5K's in 7.2 gets the job done in your league, more power to you....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:
cwrtlm wrote:I was pleased with his outing.....

Hey - if a 5.87 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 5K's in 7.2 gets the job done in your league, more power to you....

You obvisouly didn't watch the game. Felix pitched a gem through 7 innings. I believe tonight was a step in the right direction.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue May 27, 2008 1:32 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:You obvisouly didn't watch the game. Felix pitched a gem through 7 innings. I believe tonight was a step in the right direction.

Yes - I did watch the game. I was very encouraged by his performance until the 8th. And then he fell apart again.

I would consider getting through a start without melting down a step in the right direction.

Maybe I'm holding him to a higher standard than everyone else here. For some reason, melting down in every single start, walking guys with the bases loaded, inconsistent velocity from start-to-start - these things bother me. I'm weird that way....

I guess I need to re-calibrate what I would consider a "good start" by Felix to <6.00 ERA, 3-4 K's and <2.00 WHIP - I stand corrected. His 8th inning numbers still counted, right? Maybe that's what I missed.
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Sure his final numbers haven't looked too good, but he has been the victim of some poor management. There have been a few starts this year where if he just got yanked an inning or even just a batter or two early, he would have preserved a very good line.

Tonight's start wasn't very helpful, but it wasn't very hurtful either. Eventually he'll get it going and hopefully his starts will end at the appropriate time.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Sammy_D » Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Sure his final numbers haven't looked too good, but he has been the victim of some poor management. There have been a few starts this year where if he just got yanked an inning or even just a batter or two early, he would have preserved a very good line.

Tonight's start wasn't very helpful, but it wasn't very hurtful either. Eventually he'll get it going and hopefully his starts will end at the appropriate time.

Finally someone with some real analysis of the situation. Let's face it, that idiot at the helm in Seattle is no Bobby Cox when dealing with his pitchers, or hitters for that matter. I've watched every single one of his games this year and this is at least the 3rd or 4th time where I myself was calling for Felix to be pulled.

Sorry to all the M's fans, but that whole organization, from upper management down to the field boss are totally pathetic. They'd rather play old, over-paid veterans like Vidro rather than giving everyday at-bats to guys like Clement and Balentein. I mean seriously, WTF do you have to lose. As soon as Clement starts to get into a little bit of a groove, they send him down.

I'm sorry, but at some point that whole deficient offense and pathetic management has to wear on a guy like Felix. I'm not saying he doesn't give up dumb walks or loses control out there at times, but his manager does absolutely nothing to help the kid out.

2 hits through seven innings and all that offense could muster up for him is 1 run. What a joke.....
Sammy_D
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue May 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Sammy_D wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Sure his final numbers haven't looked too good, but he has been the victim of some poor management. There have been a few starts this year where if he just got yanked an inning or even just a batter or two early, he would have preserved a very good line.

Finally someone with some real analysis of the situation. Let's face it, that idiot at the helm in Seattle is no Bobby Cox when dealing with his pitchers, or hitters for that matter. I've watched every single one of his games this year and this is at least the 3rd or 4th time where I myself was calling for Felix to be pulled.

Sorry to all the M's fans, but that whole organization, from upper management down to the field boss are totally pathetic. They'd rather play old, over-paid veterans like Vidro rather than giving everyday at-bats to guys like Clement and Balentein. I mean seriously, WTF do you have to lose. As soon as Clement starts to get into a little bit of a groove, they send him down.

I'm sorry, but at some point that whole deficient offense and pathetic management has to wear on a guy like Felix. I'm not saying he doesn't give up dumb walks or loses control out there at times, but his manager does absolutely nothing to help the kid out.

2 hits through seven innings and all that offense could muster up for him is 1 run. What a joke.....

Yes - I agree with both of you. I just was too apathetic to express all of this.

For my part, I've been advocating benching Felix - not dropping him. I've owned Felix for the last two yrs in my re-draft, so I guess you have to call me a "fan" of his. I live in the NW so I defintely see more than my share of Mariner games.

He's better than what he's shown this season. At some point it comes down to the individual player - maybe he's frustrated or whatever, but he's not been good this year - simple fact. From a fantsy standpoint he's a WHIP-killer, plain and simple. He's the new Matt Cain of the AL in the W category.

There aren't any sympathy points awarded in FBB for individual players' extenuating circumstances...
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates