100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DUSTY BAKER.....REALLY DUDE?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: DUSTY BAKER.....REALLY DUDE?

Postby chipper » Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
chipper wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote: So wait, you really think that pitching Volquez for two innings was a worse decision than taking a position player (who's already been playing about 5 hours in the field) out of position and asking him to pitch,

bdrotoronto wrote:And don't you think you're more likely injure someone by asking them to play out of position (Canseco) than what Volquez did?..

Yeah, it would have been horrible to end Corey Patterson's career.......oh wait....

So if Patterson is pitching, then that puts Harang in CF. Excellent.

Genius statement.
Not like they can swing someone over or anything...right? Right ;-D

I would have gone as far as to play with 2 outfielders (like they do sometimes in those crazy situations when they bring an OF in to play infield with the bases loaded.)

Whatever, this one particular game is meaningless compared to taking care of one of your up and coming great arms.

Period. Done with you fools.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnormy » Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm

chipper wrote:Done with you fools.

And that, gentlemen, says it all about what we're dealing with here. :-P
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby chipper » Tue May 27, 2008 2:58 pm

jnormy wrote:Haven't you wondered why there's so many people refuting your argument in here and so few defending it? :-t

Go back and count the people. It was at least even on opinion.

Most of them gave up since you're arguements are a joke. You guys stuck around because I hurt your wittle feelings.... :*)

Go on thinking it was a good move. Have fun with that.
Last edited by chipper on Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Tue May 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Let's get Ender and Yoda in here and see what they think.

Those guys know what they're talking about.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 pm

jnormy wrote:You're far better at condescending than comprehending it seems.

Best line in thread. Perfectly put. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm

chipper wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:So if Patterson is pitching, then that puts Harang in CF. Excellent.

Genius statement.
Not like they can swing someone over or anything...right? Right ;-D

I would have gone as far as to play with 2 outfielders (like they do sometimes in those crazy situations when they bring an OF in to play infield with the bases loaded.)

Whatever, this one particular game is meaningless compared to taking care of one of your up and coming great arms.

Period. Done with you fools.

Well Harang has to be put somewhere within the foul lines in this scenario, unless you want him to be catcher(which is the only position where you're allowed to start in foul territory). So in your scenario you bring in Corey Patterson to pitch and then play with two outfielders, and I guess put Harang on the foul line in the OF and then have him get out of the way into foul territory as soon as the batter makes contact. To me, this is a lot crazier than letting Volquez throw 30 pitches.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chipper » Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 pm

knapplc wrote:
jnormy wrote:You're far better at condescending than comprehending it seems.

Best line in thread. Perfectly put. ;-D

I'm actually pretty good at both. :-D

Somebody lock this thread up......
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 27, 2008 3:09 pm

chipper wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:a) Harang, your current Ace, for his 5th inning of the day, who had thrown 63 pitches already, and 166 in the last 3 days?

Nope

Ok.

bigh0rt wrote:b) Cueto, future Ace, who had thrown 114 pitches 4 days prior, and was supposed to start the following day?

Nope
(But you have to agree that throwing a guy a couple innings on 4 days rest is a far better idea than throwing a guy on less than 2 days rest, right?) (At least give me that).

In terms of stress on the arm, naturally, 4 days rest is better than 2 days rest. I don't think anyone is making that argument, here. However, you've said you wouldn't throw Cueto out there. So scratch that, as well.

bigh0rt wrote:It actually appears from the game log, that Dusty was out of bench bats, as well, so throwing one of them out there as an option c) seems out the window, as well.

This has been said, put one of the guys from the field out there.
Like I've said.....and said....Just because you are in a bad situation does not mean that you make a bad decision. Do whatever you can do that doesn't include throwing a young are that pitched 40 hours earlier. Period.

I've posed the question.....would it have been ok to insert Saturday's starting pitcher?
Would it?
To me Volquez throwing late Friday night and the guy who threw early Saturday are about the same.

And therein lies the problem. To you, the guy who pitched Friday night = Saturday day. That isn't the case. But, it is very indicative of your main set of arguments in this thread. You are treating what things are to you as the be all, end all, case; when they clearly aren't. Right or wrong or somewhere in between, what is to you is clearly not to all.

Arroyo was lifted at about midnight on Saturday, whereas Volquez threw his last pitch on Friday at about midnight, EDT (both games had 10:05 EDT starts). You're talking about nearly 24 hours of recuperation difference, regardless of whether or not they are near-identical or equivalent circumstances, to you.

bigh0rt wrote:but is it not as important to keep your true future Ace on schedule and not throw him out of the pen on short rest?

YES!!!!

Yes, yes, yes.

Cut your losses....take your loss and move on. I've made it very clear that jeopardizing one of your top arms, be it Harang, Volquez, Cueto, is not a good idea for one game.
I've reiterated that point like 9 times throughout this thread.

Nobody is contesting that you've reiterated that time and time and time again. What you're refusing to see is that not everyone is on that same wavelength. Now, you can't see why, as you are set in your opinion and feel that it is so abundantly obvious that you couldn't dream of the contrary. And what I'm saying is, there has been reasonable, contradictory statements to yours made, and you've (purposely or otherwise) seemed to dodge them throughout. For example, I still don't know exactly what you would've done in the 18th inning of that game. All I know is what you feel the worst possible decision was. And I don't even agree with that. I think the worst thing Dusty could've done would be to have brought Harang back out there. Cueto might've been a safer option, but then he'd be facing another crap bag situation the following day on who to pitch, with a bullpen that's taxed from pitching the equivalent to a double header the day prior. And I'm just never putting a position player on the hill, ever, under any circumstance, especially when it means tossing one of my current or future Aces in the field.

I fully understand that you think Dusty should've just turned over and folded the game; I just don't agree. I do not think placing Edinson in that game is nearly as detrimental or risky as you do.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby chipper » Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Fair enough Big0, we all have different opinions. Let's just end it.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm

chipper wrote:Fair enough Big0, we all have different opinions. Let's just end it.

Now there's something we can all agree on! ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers