Rant against stupid league settings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rant against stupid league settings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rant against stupid league settings

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:07 pm

Has anyone else browsed the public custom leagues seeking managers on Yahoo?

I was looking at the H2H leagues with live drafts, and I have to say that most of the league settings I saw are horrible!

Look, it makes no sense to have both HITS and AVG as categories. Nor to have both R and ER categories for pitchers. Tons of these leagues have 7-13 scoring categories EACH for hitters and pitchers. That's just redundancy. Makes no sense.

So look, here's a plea to just keep things simple. If you use AVG, don't use HITS. If you use OBP and SLG, don't use OPS. If you use IP, don't use OUTS.

Simplicity people. Fantasy baseball is hard enough we don't need to screw it up by getting fancy.

I'll now get off the soapbox and return you to the usually scheduled programming.
Last edited by ramble2 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Wow... I agree 100%!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby DK » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Agreed. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Angels02and04 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:15 pm

I think you could use hits if you do it like this...Hits, Doubles, Triples and Home Runs, that way hits count as singles. I know it counts double, triples and HR for 2 categories but I think a guy who hits say 5 doubles in a week or HRs (I had Pujols do it for me) they should get rewarded a lil more. Maybe this is cheap to you guys, but I think if 2 guys each have 15 hits in a week, but player A has 15 singles and player B has 10 and 5 HRs, then the guy with the HRs should get more value for his 15 hits in that week.
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

hmmm...

Postby matmat » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:19 pm

why not use total bases as a catrgory instead? :)
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Re: hmmm...

Postby Angels02and04 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:23 pm

matmat wrote:why not use total bases as a catrgory instead? :)

Good Point ;-D
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Angels02and04 wrote:I think you could use hits if you do it like this...Hits, Doubles, Triples and Home Runs, that way hits count as singles. I know it counts double, triples and HR for 2 categories but I think a guy who hits say 5 doubles in a week or HRs (I had Pujols do it for me) they should get rewarded a lil more. Maybe this is cheap to you guys, but I think if 2 guys each have 15 hits in a week, but player A has 15 singles and player B has 10 and 5 HRs, then the guy with the HRs should get more value for his 15 hits in that week.

Or, instead of Hits, count Singles.

Better to use TB or SLG, IMO.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby xeifrank » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:40 am

You're preaching to the choir. I don't think the people on this message board are the ones making crazy league settings, they are the 12 year old kid who lives down the street, who has very little understanding of fantasy baseball... but let them have their fun, just don't join their league.

vr,

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:45 am

I hate 10x10, 12x12 settings. There's no fun in having every damn category in the book. Especially with overlapping categories (K's...K/BB......K/IP).

This is supposed to be fun.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:19 am

Anonymous wrote:I hate 10x10, 12x12 settings. There's no fun in having every damn category in the book. Especially with overlapping categories (K's...K/BB......K/IP).

This is supposed to be fun.

well maybe it is for the people that do it. Just dont join their leagues. You all dont have to criticize a leagues settings just becuz u dont like them. Its fun for them, and thats wat matters.

(and no, I am not one of those people)
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers