Frank Thomas in Oakland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frank Thomas in Oakland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Frank Thomas in Oakland

Postby AmazinYanks1990 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 am

Ever since the Jays released him and he started playing back in Oak again, he's been hitting .306 BA with a .412 OBP (both improved today b/c he went 2-4) compared to hitting a .167 BA with .306 OBP in Toronto. Let's not forget he was actually the most productive player for Toronto last year and he had a good year in '06 with Oak. What do you think his numbers will look like this year?
AmazinYanks1990
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Frank Thomas in Oakland

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 am

I think we might see another 20 HR out of him for the rest of the season, along with about 65-70 RBI hitting in that premium lineup spot.

His average can't possibly stay this high, however, especially at home. McAfee has an annoying characteristic: it has very large foul territory, so a lot of balls that would go into the seats in other parks get caught there. That means it's average BABIP is actually significantly lower, something like .280 instead of major league average .300. So even if Thomas hits well enough to be a .280-.290 hitter on the road, he's going to hit more like .270 at home...

Check out his 06 splits, it's even worse than that. He hit .242 at home and .302 on the road, though he had more homers at home. I'd say he's a very good start in weeks when he plays 1/2 or more of his games on the road, however, you can expect him to help you in power and production categories while not hurting you too much in average (also great if you're in an OPS league like myself).
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers