Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Delmon Young

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 am

Tampa is looking smarter and smarter these days. It's nice to see ;-D
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Delmon Young

Postby Ursa » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 am

Inukchuk wrote:Tampa is looking smarter and smarter these days. It's nice to see ;-D

So far Garza and Bartlett for Young and Harris is working out nicely for the Rays.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1935
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 12 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Delmon Young

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 30, 2008 6:41 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:Hhmm I personally had him fairly low among OF's, behind Damon, Francoeur, Swisher, Hawpe, Kemp, Bay, Dye...even Andruw Jones! People talk about potential but he didn't even really show much of that last year in TB. He hit like 13 HR and stole a few bags? Whatever.


I like how Young has supposedly minimal potential when he hit 13 HR, 93 RBI and nearly a .290 average... at 21 years old! He's 22 now guys. Yeah, he was probably overrated some but when he was pegged as the #1 prospect in baseball despite an awful K/BB ratio it's hard not to see where the hype came from. 'Not much potential' at 21 with a .290 average and a 20/20 outlook ... you've got to be kidding. It might not be this year, but don't be foolish enough to sleep on the guy next year.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
Posts: 2563
(Past Year: 109)
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Re: Delmon Young

Postby horste » Fri May 30, 2008 8:32 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:Hhmm I personally had him fairly low among OF's, behind Damon, Francoeur, Swisher, Hawpe, Kemp, Bay, Dye...even Andruw Jones! People talk about potential but he didn't even really show much of that last year in TB. He hit like 13 HR and stole a few bags? Whatever.


I like how Young has supposedly minimal potential when he hit 13 HR, 93 RBI and nearly a .290 average... at 21 years old! He's 22 now guys. Yeah, he was probably overrated some but when he was pegged as the #1 prospect in baseball despite an awful K/BB ratio it's hard not to see where the hype came from. 'Not much potential' at 21 with a .290 average and a 20/20 outlook ... you've got to be kidding. It might not be this year, but don't be foolish enough to sleep on the guy next year.


Here is what I just wrote about him on another thread:

"He is in midst of a nasty slump that has carried over to the field. However, (I have him on my team, and I am an avid Twins fan) it is hard to see him struggling so much. There are some thing that are nice to see. Those being his Triples and Doubles and his increase in Walks. Last year in 645 PA he walked 26 times for a 4% walk rate. This year in 198 PA he has walked 17 times for a 8.5% walk rate. That is double what he had last year.

I know he hasn't homered in over (IIRC) 60 games dating back to last year. However as several people pointed out already he is only 22, and few 22 year olds mash 20 hrs a year. It is more important to develop his swing and mentality at the plate. And to the person that said they thank the Twins for the trade. Remember they don't just give pitching away. Usually they are the ones that end up with the better end of the deal. Look at the Milton deal, the AJ deal, and the Knoblock deal. They end up with the better prospects in the end.

Delmon Young is still young and has many years to develop his power, and it will come. I will predict about 10- 14 this year. Much in line with what he had last year."

Not all was needed to be stated again but it will be. And MashinSpuds has my summary.
horste
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 29
Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MN

Re: Delmon Young

Postby swyck » Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm

few 22 year olds mash 20 hrs a year


What's this supposed to mean? No one's complaining that he's not at a 20 hrs pace. Most MLB 22 year olds mash more then ZERO hrs a year.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Delmon Young

Postby horste » Sat May 31, 2008 6:08 pm

swyck wrote:
few 22 year olds mash 20 hrs a year


What's this supposed to mean? No one's complaining that he's not at a 20 hrs pace. Most MLB 22 year olds mash more then ZERO hrs a year.


I was talking about how the expectations (including mine though a bit more reserved) for a 20/20 season. I would be happy with a 12-15/20 season (like I expected out of the gate). That is what I meant.
horste
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 29
Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MN

Re: Delmon Young

Postby Yoda » Sat May 31, 2008 9:45 pm

swyck wrote:
few 22 year olds mash 20 hrs a year


What's this supposed to mean? No one's complaining that he's not at a 20 hrs pace. Most MLB 22 year olds mash more then ZERO hrs a year.


Most 22 yo are at AA.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact