Is it bad to have Cueto, Scherzer, and Kershaw?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it bad to have Cueto, Scherzer, and Kershaw??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it bad to have Cueto, Scherzer, and Kershaw??

Postby wingman3110 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:57 am

I have all 3 of them in my ESPN league. Would you say this is bad having too many young guys on one team???
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is it bad to have Cueto, Scherzer, and Kershaw??

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am

If it was a keeper league you should be getting high fives all around. If it's not, well, you just have flashy trade bait. Other than Cueto and perhaps some fine relief innings and a great start or two from Scherzer, don't get too excited.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Inukchuk » Sun May 25, 2008 11:16 am

wingman3110 wrote:I have all 3 of them in my ESPN league. Would you say this is bad having too many young guys on one team???

I'll let you know in October... :-D

Honestly, as dumb as it sounds, it depends on how they do. If you had Lincecum, Gallardo, and Braun last year, then it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. If you had Homer, Hughes, and Lind, then oops... I will say this: it may not be bad, but it is risky...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 am

more than likely 1 will be great, one will be ok, one will stink or something like that. most young guys coming up struggle a good bit but show some real flashes. scherzer in relief in probably a good thing for you, and while cueto has shown he can be impressive, hes too inconsistent to really help you.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 2:01 pm

If your pitching doesn't rely too heavily on all 3, then I think it's OK. The more power to you if your league holds more roster spots than your average league.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jfg » Sun May 25, 2008 2:05 pm

If you are in a H2H redraft I'd get rid of them at some point since they probably won't help you at all come playoff time.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby MTUCache » Sun May 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I have both Cueto and Scherzer, and have a claim in for Kershaw (#8 priority though) in my league (Yahoo! Roto, 10 team, 5x5)

My team is also in first place, where it has been for the entire year (since the first week).

My team's bench this year has consisted of Butler, Votto, and a whole bunch of MRs (Broxton, Bell, Casilla, etc, etc).

These three things tell me this:
1.) I spend too much time following hype here at the Cafe.
2.) The hype is about 50/50 for being good (better than most sites for sure).
3.) I need to find a more competitive bunch of guys to play with.

If you get the pickup on all three of these young pitchers, your league is either set up very different than most, or the rest of your league is a bunch of casual baseball fans that you should be demolishing (not withstanding any major injuries). Frankly, if you are that type of player (as I am), you probably don't need any of these guys on your staff (which I don't really), and you'd probably be winning without them anyway.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Russell James » Mon May 26, 2008 9:13 am

MTUCache wrote:I have both Cueto and Scherzer, and have a claim in for Kershaw (#8 priority though) in my league (Yahoo! Roto, 10 team, 5x5)

My team is also in first place, where it has been for the entire year (since the first week).

My team's bench this year has consisted of Butler, Votto, and a whole bunch of MRs (Broxton, Bell, Casilla, etc, etc).

These three things tell me this:
1.) I spend too much time following hype here at the Cafe.
2.) The hype is about 50/50 for being good (better than most sites for sure).
3.) I need to find a more competitive bunch of guys to play with.

If you get the pickup on all three of these young pitchers, your league is either set up very different than most, or the rest of your league is a bunch of casual baseball fans that you should be demolishing (not withstanding any major injuries). Frankly, if you are that type of player (as I am), you probably don't need any of these guys on your staff (which I don't really), and you'd probably be winning without them anyway.

I agree with number 3.

In most of my competitive leagues I have a low Waiver Priority which means that I have been unable to land these young studs, outside of Volquez because he wasn't hyped as much. When one of these guys come available they are likely to get scooped up by the guy holding a number 1 priority. In a casual league where many of the guys just set their roster and make few moves I was able to get Cueto, Volquez and Scherzer but missed Kershaw. Few have been more hyped then Kershaw this season.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers