Will Prince ever rebound in 08'?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Prince ever rebound in 08'??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Prince ever rebound in 08'??

Postby chipper » Sun May 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Either way, how stupid was it to announce that he'd be turning vegetarian?

Just do it, and if you're not producing, at least people won't be able to harp on that topic.
Stupid move IMO. Just puts more pressure on him since he made the decision to do it.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pappymojo » Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 pm

chipper wrote:Either way, how stupid was it to announce that he'd be turning vegetarian?

Just do it, and if you're not producing, at least people won't be able to harp on that topic.
Stupid move IMO. Just puts more pressure on him since he made the decision to do it.

I completely disagree. I dont think a professional athlete really worries that much about what the people in the stands are talking about, especially when they're blaming his slump on his diet. I'm sure he knows that it's a silly discussion and that eveyone's wringing their hands over nothing.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sun May 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I completely disagree. I dont think a professional athlete really worries that much about what the people in the stands are talking about, especially when they're blaming his slump on his diet. I'm sure he knows that it's a silly discussion and that eveyone's wringing their hands over nothing.

You couldnt be more wrong. Athletes most definitely care what people say and think and write about them. Have you ever watched Sports Century or any other show about former athletes. The silly thing is saying that its a silly discussion. Its not like he made a small change like he stopped drinking caffiene. Going to a vegetarian diet is a MAJOR lifestyle change. And judging by Cecil and Princes oversized guts I would bet its more major of a change than most folks. Even if it isnt technically a physical problem from the diet change. It could very easily be the fact that he made such a change and everyone is talking about it. And the fact he is slumping and people are talking about it has messed with his head. If he isnt worried about what people say then why did he mouth "no meat" to the camera after he hit the second homerun off of Hamels a month ago? 8-o
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby seniorpaul » Sun May 25, 2008 10:46 pm

I think it's absurd that people continue to blame Prince's new vegatarian lifestyle for his hitting slump. This is a professional athlete that i'm sure has team doctors and dietitians looking after him. What's Rickie Weeks' excuse? Or Bill Hall's? Or J.J. Hardy's, or Mike Cameron's? Or up until the past two weeks, Ryan Brauns? If you look up and down the Brewers roster, it's FULL of young players who aren't currently playing up to expectations and potential. Slumps at the MLB level are contagious. And slumps on teams full of young players are even worse.

At this point, i think it's a reach to think that Prince will get to 40 HR's on the season, however, i think he could still have a great rest of the year. I think he makes a GREAT buy-low candidate at this point. This team is built to out-slug teams, and at some point, their going to start hitting.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ivesaidway2much » Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm curious. Are there any successful pro athletes who were vegetarians while they were playing?

seniorpaul wrote:I think it's absurd that people continue to blame Prince's new vegatarian lifestyle for his hitting slump. This is a professional athlete that i'm sure has team doctors and dietitians looking after him.
Then how do guys like Sabathia, Miguel Cabrera and even Prince, himself, get and/or stay significantly overweight in the middle of a season?
ivesaidway2much
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jcook3127 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:08 am

How is the man getting protein..shakes?? What a stupid decision...you get in shape by moving your ***...not by giving up meat..

Not saying that's it..but I'm getting frustrated...traded for him a couple weeks ago...I don't care what the overall #'s look like..I'd just like for him to at least be playing at 85% of last years power pace starting now..
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon May 26, 2008 12:16 am

ivesaidway2much wrote:I'm curious. Are there any successful pro athletes who were vegetarians while they were playing?

Ask and you shall receive
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ivesaidway2much » Mon May 26, 2008 12:36 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:
ivesaidway2much wrote:I'm curious. Are there any successful pro athletes who were vegetarians while they were playing?

Ask and you shall receive

Thanks. That site didn't fully convince me with its players from older eras and tons of question marks. But with a little more digging based on the information there, I found out that Tony Gonzalez adopted a vegan diet last year. And 2007 was one of the best seasons of his career. However, he did need to search for expert vegetarian dieticians to figure out how to maintain his strength levels, though. I wonder if Prince is doing that.

Link.
ivesaidway2much
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers