Shortstops - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstops

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shortstops

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat May 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Yeah I'm basically the same way. Started the year with Tulo, then went to Crosby, then went to Barmes, and now with his injury, I'm left with Grenne.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TreeFarm » Sat May 24, 2008 7:13 pm

I am actually in about the oposite position as many im sure, drafted both Tejada and Renteria, and also have Escobar, but havent found anyone willing to trade Tejada off me :-t , partially just cause I dont want to sell him for cheap the way SS is this year.
TreeFarm Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Tulo, Keppinger, Barmes.

Poop
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby woodson_28 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 pm

TreeFarm wrote:I am actually in about the oposite position as many im sure, drafted both Tejada and Renteria, and also have Escobar, but havent found anyone willing to trade Tejada off me :-t , partially just cause I dont want to sell him for cheap the way SS is this year.

good decision. I drafted J. Reyes, and then took Tejada when he lasted into the 9th rd. After his ridiculous week a while back (when he hit like .750 over a few days) I traded him off for Oswalt (who had just pitched his first -and only- 1 ER game. Now I'm stuck w/ Oswalt on my bench and looking at everybody else in my league hurting for SS help. oh well
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 0CUBS4ME » Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 am

Sitting with O. Cab all year. I've tried upgrading, but everyone has put a premium on SS. I'm filling in now and then with guys like Hairston from Cinci and Vasquez from Texas, but overall I'm committed to O. Cab and just hope he starts hitting.
0CUBS4ME
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kevinbaseballer » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 am

Im stuck with Edgar Renteria. Im keeping an eye on Drew but know this position will plague me allyear.
kevinbaseballer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MrE » Sun May 25, 2008 11:52 am

I'm just thankful that I drafted Tejada. I knew he would bounce back, but he is raking in Houston. A 10th round flier in a keeper league no less :). I just hope he resigns in Houston.
- MrE -
MrE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Sun May 25, 2008 12:52 pm

duckbillgates wrote:
Field wrote:I've been very happy with Stephen Drew's performance this year. Not really sure why people drafted Tulo (even before the injury) in the 4th round when you could have had Drew in th 15+ round or even off the WW.

C'mon, people drafted Tulo that early (admittedly at least a couple rounds too early in most leagues, but still) because he projected higher and Drew hit .238 last year.

Couple this with the fact that no one expected the D-backs to be an offensive juggernaut they've been this year, and this is almost like saying "Not sure why people drafted Johan Santana when you could have had Cliff Lee" or "Not sure why people drafted Vlad Guerrero when you could have had Nate McClouth." ;-)

All I'm saying it, hindsight is 20/20.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions here that are just off the mark....

I voiced my opinions on Tulo way before the season started, so while hindsight is 20/20 so is the ability to avoid players who have a very good chance under-perform based on draft position. I would also never make a similar comment about proven studs like Johan and Vlad .... Tulo certainly doesn't even come close to their level. Why would you ever draft a guy in the first 5 rounds that had/has absolutely no chance to finish the season as a top 25 player? Here's one post where I mentioned his over-valution: viewtopic.php?t=323127&hilit=tulo&start=10 and here's another where I was in the Stephen Drew pre-season camp: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=319052&hilit=+tulo .

Batting average is deceiving especially in rookie campaigns and anyone who expected Drew to hit sub .250 again just didn't do their due diligence. There are probably about 10 others threads where I mentioned Tulo being overvalued especially in the Draft/Trade/Keeper forum.

Shortstop is a position that has an abundance of servicable guys and only a few elite options, so there was no real need to reach for a player in drafts due to "position scarcity".
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby kevinbaseballer » Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 pm

I just got offered Jeter/Flyod for Soto/Shields which I instantly denied. Im thinking offering Russel Martin for Jeter straight up?
kevinbaseballer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Ursa » Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 pm

kevinbaseballer wrote:I just got offered Jeter/Flyod for Soto/Shields which I instantly denied. Im thinking offering Russel Martin for Jeter straight up?

That should give him a laugh if nothing else. ;-)
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers