Johan Santana or just Johan Satan? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan Santana or just Johan Satan?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johan Santana or just Johan Satan?

Postby Mazz » Sat May 24, 2008 8:48 pm

J35J wrote:Santana isn't the Santana of a few years ago...his fastball isn't what it once was and his slider is a notch down as well. With that said he is and will be a top 3 SP for the next few years but he isn't the end all be all #1 in my mind anymore. This has nothing to do with his stats, which are good, but if you've seen him pitch over the years you know that his stuff isn't what it once was. He's still a stud....I'm just sayin'

lmao.
Mazz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Rman3911 wrote:Yeah yeah yeah "it's too early to tell." "he's a second half pitcher," blah blah blah. What's up? For the first pitcher taken off the board, what's up? Any takes on what's going on with the "stud?" I'm thinking of pitching Volquez, Cliff Lee, etc. over him every week.

Caveat emptor. Because of guys like Lee and Volquez it is always a risk when you take a pitcher in round one.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Inukchuk » Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 am

Mazz wrote:
J35J wrote:Santana isn't the Santana of a few years ago...his fastball isn't what it once was and his slider is a notch down as well. With that said he is and will be a top 3 SP for the next few years but he isn't the end all be all #1 in my mind anymore. This has nothing to do with his stats, which are good, but if you've seen him pitch over the years you know that his stuff isn't what it once was. He's still a stud....I'm just sayin'

lmao.

I don't get it. Are you using cutesy text talk because you don't think he'll be a top 3 guy, or because you think his stuff is as good as it was a few years ago?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 5:13 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i dont think anyone is saying Santana is bad, but hes not performing as expected. i didnt draft Johan but i traded for him early on. i was thinking i was going to be getting the performance from Johan that others have gotten from Lee. Johan going to the NL was supposed to be an easier league, i was expecting someone who would dominate. i was expecting someone who at this point of the season would have attleast 2 games(maybe more) with 0 ER, but he hasnt even had 1.
i want to see the numbers he had in 2006, not 2007.

I think a good deal of those who believed Johan would be the clear-cut runaway #1 ace, with top 5 draft pick status in hand for 2009, overrated what the move to the NL would entail. As Jason pointed out, it's more about his stuff not quite being up to scratch for Johan's lofty standards, especially that slider. The result is a continued penchant to give up a HR every now and then. I think Johan will be a top 3 SP by season's end, but there's a good chance he doesn't elevate himself to 1st round status.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Field » Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 pm

I completely agree J, well said. The miledge on his arm seems to be slowly creeping up on him.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers