Teams we should have known would be bad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teams we should have known would be bad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Teams we should have known would be bad

Postby jfg » Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 am

Every year there seems to be teams that everybody raves about in the preseason and then they disappoint and when you look at the lineup you say... oh yeah, they weren't that good to begin with, how did I not see that?

This year: The Mets. You look at the lineup and it's extremely top heavy. They're going to win some games and might make a playoff run. But, a ton of people were saying World Series for this team... not with those 5-8 hitters. In fact they remind me a lot of Santana's old team but with a leadoff hitter. A good staff with an ace and rally killers at the bottom of the lineup. They're better than the '07 Twins but they sure aren't a WS contender.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teams we should have known would be bad

Postby Howie » Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 am

You might end up being right, but the season is not even 1/3 over yet. They're be right there in the end with the D'Backs and Cubs.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Cow » Sat May 24, 2008 12:44 am

The Tribe they just don't have the bats.

The cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:43 am

The Mariners.

Although a lot of people realized their season last year was incredibly lucky, Bill Bavasi obviously prepared to contend (Carlos Silva for 48 M, and the trade for Bedard).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby hybrid » Sat May 24, 2008 5:02 am

The Mets were above .500 just a few days ago, I don't see them belonging in this thread because they aren't a "bad" team. I'll throw the Padres into the ring, I've thought for a while now they shouldn't be as good as they have the last few years and it seems they've finally plumeted downwards this year. Also the Rockies over achieved about as much as humanly possible last year.

Also I don't think the M's are this bad, but god they are run horribly as a team. :-P
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dweenmachine » Sat May 24, 2008 7:36 am

And not just because I'm a Red Sox fan, but I have to mention the Yankees in this thread. ARod being on the DL for a while didn't help matters, but combine that with the loss of Posada and the ineptitude (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence) of their starting pitchers... they're looking pretty sorry. I feel they belong in the "we should have known" category because their starting pitching was a question mark to begin the season, and I feel it's even worse than they expected...
Plus, they're in last place ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat May 24, 2008 11:11 am

How about the Tigers? We should have known that, despite how good their hitting is, their pitching just simply wasn't good enough for them to contend. Even if Verlander had done as well as everyone expected, the bottom half of their pitching struggles to just put a quality start together. Also, Verlander's tough start is balanced out somewhat by Bondy performing better than most people expected. While Renteria and MiggyCab are great players and should have been productive in the AL, a dropoff is to be expected seeing as their going to a significantly tougher league and no one should try to tell me they expected much from Dontrelle. They shouldn't be THIS bad, but we should have known they wouldn't be a great team either.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby yankeekd25 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:16 pm

dweenmachine wrote:And not just because I'm a Red Sox fan, but I have to mention the Yankees in this thread. ARod being on the DL for a while didn't help matters, but combine that with the loss of Posada and the ineptitude (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence) of their starting pitchers... they're looking pretty sorry. I feel they belong in the "we should have known" category because their starting pitching was a question mark to begin the season, and I feel it's even worse than they expected...
Plus, they're in last place ;-D

Surely you know the season isn't over at the end of May? Chances are the Yanks won't win the division, but the AL is pretty weak this year. We still have a great shot at the WC. Rasner has stepped up big, A-Rod is back, Posada is back soon. Girardi's tirade fired up the team, and they pounded Bedard last night. Kennedy had a good start last time out,... he just needs run support, as do all (young) pitchers right? Didn't you see what happened last year? At this point last year they were like 14 games out and they managed to cut it down to 1 at one point. THe Sox always hit their stride early in the year, but then don't play as good down the stretch. With the Yanks, it's the opposite. Beckett is surely looking like an ace this year huh?
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Sat May 24, 2008 12:30 pm

well, I didn't think verlander, willis and bonderman would be a bad threesome.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 pm

jfg wrote:Every year there seems to be teams that everybody raves about in the preseason and then they disappoint and when you look at the lineup you say... oh yeah, they weren't that good to begin with, how did I not see that?

This year: The Mets. You look at the lineup and it's extremely top heavy. They're going to win some games and might make a playoff run. But, a ton of people were saying World Series for this team... not with those 5-8 hitters. In fact they remind me a lot of Santana's old team but with a leadoff hitter. A good staff with an ace and rally killers at the bottom of the lineup. They're better than the '07 Twins but they sure aren't a WS contender.

The bottom 4 isn't that bad. Assuming Castillo can get back to .300 and nail down the 2 hole, Ryan Church has been unreal, Alou is a huge part of our offense when he stays on the field for more than a week, and Delgado has been rediscovering his power stroke. The only big liability is Brian Schneider and that was already expected.

Normally it's when Reyes goes, so does the Mets offense. He's playing well but now David Wright isn't getting on base. :-/
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers