Belgian Co Readies Potentially Hostile Takeover of Busch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Belgian Co Readies Potentially Hostile Takeover of Busch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Belgian Co Readies Potentially Hostile Takeover of Busch

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:34 am

StlSluggers wrote:I worked for 4 years in the corp fin dept of a company that bought 4 companies per year, on average. I've actually done the math on who to lay off and why - and picked up their work. The biggest reason for acquisitions are those overhead savings right there.

Yep our company does the same. We bought 3 golf courses in the last 18 months in San Diego and consolidated all the management/back office positions. Huge overhead cuts since payroll is typically your biggest expense.

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to operate out of Belgium or in the US though with the weakened dollar. Typically it takes 3+ years for larger companies to transition.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:47 pm

The Brahma invasion continues.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Speculation so far:

1. 1000 of the 6000 jobs in St. Louis will be layed off.
2. All non-brewing business will be sold. That includes the theme parks and Grant's farm.
3. There will no longer be any political or charitable contributions.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am

No charitable contributions? That seems odd. Can't say I disagree with no political contributions - the less big business has their hands in my government, the better. But the charities are getting axed? Why would they do that, especially when having a foreign owner of such an American icon is already going to make it tough to get the public excited about their product, and maintaining the charitable donations would be a good way to start building up good will with the public.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:05 pm

knapplc wrote:No charitable contributions? That seems odd. Can't say I disagree with no political contributions - the less big business has their hands in my government, the better. But the charities are getting axed? Why would they do that, especially when having a foreign owner of such an American icon is already going to make it tough to get the public excited about their product, and maintaining the charitable donations would be a good way to start building up good will with the public.

Well AB does make what, half the beer in the U.S. I don't really think donating less to charity would stop people from buying their product. I think Wal-Mart is pretty evil, but I shop there cause it's there or a more expensive supermarket with less variety. If they are honestly going to axe charitable donations that does suck though :-t , though I don't care about political contributions. I actually prefer they didn't donate money to the government as well so.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:58 pm

Surprise, surprise.

Anheuser-Busch InBev announced Monday it would cut some 1,400 U.S. jobs — or another 6 percent of its U.S. work force — to help save the world's largest brewer at least $1.5 billion a year.

It said three-quarters of the jobs to disappear will go from Anheuser's North American headquarters in St. Louis, both at downtown offices and its Sunset Hills campus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_ ... usch_inbev
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Surprise, surprise.

Anheuser-Busch InBev announced Monday it would cut some 1,400 U.S. jobs — or another 6 percent of its U.S. work force — to help save the world's largest brewer at least $1.5 billion a year.

It said three-quarters of the jobs to disappear will go from Anheuser's North American headquarters in St. Louis, both at downtown offices and its Sunset Hills campus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_ ... usch_inbev

That's just under $1.1 million per employee. I wanna work there for a year or two. 8-o

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am

Nearly everyone on my stepmother's brother's entire team at AB is getting cut. He works in their environmental compliance office. InBev is not as much a fan of the environment to the same extent that AB is. As he tells it, AB had to actually work in arrangements guaranteeing that X% of their wildlife habitats would continue to be funded after the takeover.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to General Talk