Revised TOP 25? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Revised TOP 25?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Revised TOP 25?

Postby great gretzky » Thu May 22, 2008 8:10 pm

I think even in redraft, its a bit much to think youkilis will outproduce Howard. Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but ...

If we take Matthias' projection for youkilis at face value, I think its more than fair to take howard's performance last year at face value. If youkilis is hitting 32 homeruns, he has 23 left. If howard is hitting 46, he has 34. In terms of RBI, Howard has 107 left, while Youkilis has about 70. Runs, is a wash. Considering Youkilis is around .280 for his career, has never hit 20 home runs, scored 100 runs, or knocked in 100, let alone stole more than five bases, I think its generous to concede the stats Matthias is proposing. But again, let's say that happens, Youkilis will have to keep up the .320 average and Howard would have to end up around .250 for this to be a "pick em" in my opinion. 37 rbi and 12 rbi is basically a whole extra month of power production.

Not saying youkilis is some bad player, but considering their age and previous attained benchmarks, in keeper or for the rest of the way, It's closer than we mentally consider, but I don't see how you can pick youkilis over howard if all else is being equal (ignoring team needs and surpluses).
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm

PS, obviosuly chipper is "over his head" as he is over like everyone's head in the modern era. But his injury limited season is equal to and better than most players at third. To say IF he remains healthy, he isn't in this discussion for redraft is a bit hasty IMO.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu May 22, 2008 8:15 pm

great gretzky wrote:If we take Matthias' projection for youkilis at face value, I think its more than fair to take howard's performance last year at face value. If youkilis is hitting 32 homeruns, he has 23 left. If howard is hitting 46, he has 34. In terms of RBI, Howard has 107 left, while Youkilis has about 70. Runs, is a wash. Considering Youkilis is around .280 for his career, has never hit 20 home runs, scored 100 runs, or knocked in 100, let alone stole more than five bases, I think its generous to concede the stats Matthias is proposing. But again, let's say that happens, Youkilis will have to keep up the .320 average and Howard would have to end up around .250 for this to be a "pick em" in my opinion. 37 rbi and 12 rbi is basically a whole extra month of power production.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. Nicely said.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Solid list, I just don't see five starting pitchers finishing off the season as top 25 players.
Last season only Peavy and Santana were top 25 players.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 am

bobbing_headz wrote:I think people are confused here. This list is not the top 25 players now, it's the top 25 players for the rest of the season. For both Youk and Chipper they're playing way over their heads and it won't continue.

Care to explain why Chipper is playing over his head? It's obvious that his average will regress, but when healthy, he is an elite fantasy player. If Chipper is in the lineup he will produce like a top 25 player.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri May 23, 2008 12:23 am

Field wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:I think people are confused here. This list is not the top 25 players now, it's the top 25 players for the rest of the season. For both Youk and Chipper they're playing way over their heads and it won't continue.

Care to explain why Chipper is playing over his head? It's obvious that his average will regress, but when healthy, he is an elite fantasy player. If Chipper is in the lineup he will produce like a top 25 player.

I'm mainly talking about the average which when it comes may bring his other stats down slightly. But my problem with Chipper is mainly the risk associated with him. Of course we all know he's an elite producer when he's healthy, he did it last year after the ASB for example. Yet, little has changed since the start of the year and nowhere was Chipper ranked or drafted in the top 25. What's so different now?
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 12:37 am

Field wrote:

Yeah but that is exactly it. He will get hurt and probably miss the cut by season's end. Staying healthy is a skill.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Fri May 23, 2008 9:14 am

the only thing is 110-120 games of chipper is better than most at the position anyway. more than that, chipper is an elite talent. I know we are talking about top 25, and given that its a keeper, I don't see anyone really taking him in the top 25. but the end result is, if he gets hurt, you aren't really screwed either. If you take all of his stats, and especially if he is a CI or Util rather than your starter, you can also add to that with another player when he is hurt.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 9:20 am

Actually gave some thought to Matthias's nomination of Youkilis. It's refreshing to hear some different names that no one else is touting. While I think that he won't be top 25 by season's end, he could sneak up there and shows what a quietly great season he is having so far.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 23, 2008 9:44 am

Yoda wrote:Actually gave some thought to Matthias's nomination of Youkilis. It's refreshing to hear some different names that no one else is touting. While I think that he won't be top 25 by season's end, he could sneak up there and shows what a quietly great season he is having so far.

I'm shocked to hear you say that Yoda...You know he started last year off even better than this year...and look at how he ended...

I thought you're all about the splits and historical stats?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers