Nick Blackburn line - 2HRs, but 1ER? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Blackburn line - 2HRs, but 1ER?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Blackburn line - 2HRs, but 1ER?

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 am

Last night Nick Blackburn has a line of: 6IP, 10H, 7R, 1ER, 4Ks.

I get that the one error the Twins committed allowed base runners on that would not have otherwise been on.

I also get that when an error could have ended an inning if an out had been made, all of the remaining runs go as unearned.

But if an error that would have been the first out is made, does a HR allowed with 2 outs get completely wiped? I get calling the 2 baserunners scoring unearned runs. But does a pitcher really get a free pass for the guy hitting the HR not counting as an earned run?

Interesting. Just seems odd to me.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nick Blackburn line - 2HRs, but 1ER?

Postby Tavish » Thu May 22, 2008 11:48 am

hot4tx wrote:Last night Nick Blackburn has a line of: 6IP, 10H, 7R, 1ER, 4Ks.

I get that the one error the Twins committed allowed base runners on that would not have otherwise been on.

I also get that when an error could have ended an inning if an out had been made, all of the remaining runs go as unearned.

But if an error that would have been the first out is made, does a HR allowed with 2 outs get completely wiped? I get calling the 2 baserunners scoring unearned runs. But does a pitcher really get a free pass for the guy hitting the HR not counting as an earned run?

Earned runs are all based on "assumed outs". The error is assumed out #1, after he records two more outs there are 3 assumed outs and any runs that score after that are unearned.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am

hot4tx wrote:

To my knowledge he does because if the inning was played without error by his defense, then the inning would be over...I understand what you're saying in regard to a HR being hit, but the fact remains he should have been out of the inning already. And while his era may get the benefit of "freely" skipping over a potent section of the lineup, he will still be up for the loss (unless his offense has more run support) and his pitch count going up will most likely take him out of the game sooner...so he will still be penalized in those ways.

Out of context though I agree that it seems strange that a pitcher is not completely responsible for giving up a HR.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 22, 2008 11:54 am

Hmmm... thanks. Yeh I guess it's just not holding having his stats reflect the HR nor him responsible at all that seems weird to me. Mayhaps MLB needs to change how they score that? Or at the very least add in a clause where he buys the clubhouse beers after the game?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby rainman23 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:55 am

Of course if a reliever had come in in this situation and given up a homer, he wouldn't get a pass. The run that the HR hitter scored would be unearned from a team perspective, but earned as far as the reliever is concerned. Unless I'm all wet...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 11:27 am

He got screwed. The slider that he threw to Laird should have been a called third strike and then the next batter grounded out so he should have been out of that inning with just Young's HR. Instead the ump blows that call, Laird gets a single and opens up the flood gates.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby byfrcp » Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Yoda wrote:He got screwed. The slider that he threw to Laird should have been a called third strike and then the next batter grounded out so he should have been out of that inning with just Young's HR. Instead the ump blows that call, Laird gets a single and opens up the flood gates.

Now if they had instant replay for pitches this would have never happened . . .
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Yoda wrote:He got screwed. The slider that he threw to Laird should have been a called third strike and then the next batter grounded out so he should have been out of that inning with just Young's HR. Instead the ump blows that call, Laird gets a single and opens up the flood gates.

Now if they had instant replay for pitches this would have never happened . . .

Or a system that utilizes any available 21st century technology.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Sat May 24, 2008 10:53 am

hot4tx wrote:Hmmm... thanks. Yeh I guess it's just not holding having his stats reflect the HR nor him responsible at all that seems weird to me. Mayhaps MLB needs to change how they score that? Or at the very least add in a clause where he buys the clubhouse beers after the game?

Yah, I've always thought this rule was warped, especially when it's the 2nd or 3rd inning and even if you play the but-for game of him being out of the inning he would've faced these same hitters in the next.

Use RAA instead of ERA in your leagues and you get rid of this pesky artifact.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers