Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby great gretzky » Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm

you can certainly be lazy int he bigs. its relative. you obviously can't get there without some kind of work ethic that is better than the general population. But you can also be preternaturally good at it too.

anyone can be lazy. The best CEO can be called lazy if he can do his job with a modicum of effort. Its irrelevant that its better than everyone, if he is only using a small percentage of his potential and is coasting, he is lazy.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 pm

knapplc wrote:
fezzik wrote:FYI I was seeing how many times I could write the word "so" in one sentence...not too bad...I'm kind of proud of myself. ;-)

Shouldn't you be focusing on rhyming? ;-)

I'm tired of ballparks nickeling and diming... :-)

Shut your trap knapp... :^ ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sportsaddict » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 pm

This type of stereotyping is prevalent in basketball, but I don't think it really appears in baseball very often. For example, one of the common examples people give as a hard worker in baseball is Juan Pierre, a black player. And Pujols is thrown in there too- he's Latino. I have never really heard anyone use the "lazy" stereotype for Latinos and blacks in baseball.

However, basketball is a completely different story. The media talks Tyler Hansbrough up like he's the only college basketball player that's ever worked hard to get where he is. A player like Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant is just naturally great, according to the media. The white stars (Drew Neitzel is another example) are supposed to be scrappy, hard workers that get the most out of their abilities, and the black stars are supposed to have natural talent and aren't implied to have worked as hard. That's the stereotype you are getting at, but I only have seen this in basketball.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Snacks wrote:Alright, so who's the laziest athlete in baseball?

Well two of the laziest athletes i can think are not baseball players at but basketball players. Michael Sweetney and Robert Traylor. Two very talented players who had zero work ethic and ended up eating their ways out of the league.

Laziest baseball player? That is harder to say, most of those guys never make it out of the minors.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby baseballin storm » Thu May 22, 2008 11:59 pm

On the opposite end of the spectrum - "robust" players who were far from lazy (regardless of Race, Creed or Color, we 're all in this together). Two that were always favorites of mine are Tony Gywnn and Kirby Puckett.
baseballin storm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dweenmachine » Fri May 23, 2008 9:36 am

baseballin storm wrote:On the opposite end of the spectrum - "robust" players who were far from lazy (regardless of Race, Creed or Color, we 're all in this together). Two that were always favorites of mine are Tony Gywnn and Kirby Puckett.

Trot Nixon ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't know if Miggy is lazy or not, though I see little that tells me he is. Appearances can deceive. Cabrera has a very easy going nature that makes him appear to be on cruise control and even could me misinterpreted as not caring or trying. But I do no that when I watch the Tigers games there are frequent mentioning of and films of pregame practices where Miggy is working with Leyland and their IF coach to learn how to field 1B better. His reaction when he makes a nice play at first looks to me as one you'd see when somebody has been working hard at something and it's paying off. So I don't think he is lazy.

I do wonder if all the focus on his fielding is detracting from his hitting, but that is a different topic and, no doubt, racially charged! ;-7 :-b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 pm

"Definitely racist. Someone call the hispanic version of Al Sharpton!"
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Althalius » Fri May 23, 2008 4:21 pm

sportsaddict wrote:However, basketball is a completely different story. The media talks Tyler Hansbrough up like he's the only college basketball player that's ever worked hard to get where he is. A player like Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant is just naturally great, according to the media. The white stars (Drew Neitzel is another example) are supposed to be scrappy, hard workers that get the most out of their abilities, and the black stars are supposed to have natural talent and aren't implied to have worked as hard. That's the stereotype you are getting at, but I only have seen this in basketball.

I disagree with your perception of the media and Tyler as being solely based on his being white, it's based on simply watching him play. He absolutely hustles, and I think if Rose or Beasley hustled in the same way that Tyler does the media would love them too. Look at all the charges he draws, the way he attacks the board for rebounds, his high free throw percentage coupled with all the times he gets to the line because he forces up the ball after getting hit. For your comments to be true, the media would have to ignore the hard work of African American players, but I don't think that happens. I'd also like to point out that plenty of black commentators also agree that Tyler expends tremendous effort, and while I know intraracial discrimination is not unheard of, I doubt all of ESPN's black commentators indulge in it. I'd also like to point out that Tyler is simply a dominant player, a dominant power forward, when he's only 6'9. Compare that to someone like Roy Hibbert who is 7'2 who simply doesn't have the same tenacity as Tyler, nor apparently the work ethic to get stronger. I think Tyler absolutely makes the most of his natural abilities, and to say that commenting as such is racist because that's how white players are characterized is unfair.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BTOWNHESS » Sat May 24, 2008 10:47 am

lol. The race card. WOW.

As others have said, Sizemore isnt White either. Really how many people are full breed anything anymore? I know Im a mutt too.

Anyways, to Mcab. You have the press all over him because he signed a humongous contract and hasnt lived up to it yet. This is a guy that was supposed to be hitting his prime years and in a killer lineup and putting up #'s like 40 homers, 150RBI's. Definately not gonna happen this year anyways.

The Fantasy world is all over him because he was a universal top 4 pick in most draft formats this season and is playing more like a 4th round pick.

Really the only people that bring up race anymore are the minorities. White America is over it, I think its time for everyone else to catch up.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers