Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Mark Fydrich (God Bless Him) ""Sometimes I get lazy and let the dishes stack up, but they don't stack too high. I've only got four dishes."
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JoshExley » Thu May 22, 2008 1:54 pm

hot4tx wrote:NAME ME ONE PURPLE PLAYER THAT'S EVERY BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING LAZY, PAL! That's right, you can't! Busted!!! Maybe next time you won't throw out information until you have all the facts, huh buddy?

;-)

GRIMACE was a lazy bastard!

JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:57 pm

I think he is lazy and does not work on getting better and that is why we keep hoping for 40+ HR but will never see it until he tries to improve. I think athletes should keep their bodies in shape. An out of shape person is much more prone to injuries. They are getting paid way too much for that to be a concern and also they play a game for living, a fun game for a lot of money.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshExley » Thu May 22, 2008 1:59 pm

markj11 wrote:I think he is lazy and does not work on getting better and that is why we keep hoping for 40+ HR but will never see it until he tries to improve. I think athletes should keep their bodies in shape. An out of shape person is much more prone to injuries. They are getting paid way too much for that to be a concern and also they play a game for living, a fun game for a lot of money.

So you're telling me I could get paid 20-mil a year to lift weights and play baseball?

Uhm, are we in some alternate universe? Isn't that like every kid's dream?
Why is it a hassle for some?
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 2:01 pm

The laziest MLB player?

Former player David Wells comes to mind...

Currently? I don't know...

Solely based on hugeness, I suppose Sabathia and Ponson come to mind...but both are performing pretty well so far (Sabathia only for the past 5 starts or so), so I won't go so far as to say lazy...just large.

FYI I was seeing how many times I could write the word "so" in one sentence...not too bad...I'm kind of proud of myself. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu May 22, 2008 2:24 pm

fezzik wrote:FYI I was seeing how many times I could write the word "so" in one sentence...not too bad...I'm kind of proud of myself. ;-)

Shouldn't you be focusing on rhyming? ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Laziest MLB player=Barry Zito.

He gets traded away from a contending team, signs a massive contract, and just basically stops trying.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jealousblues » Thu May 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Snacks wrote:
dweenmachine wrote:
Snacks wrote:"He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.

I'm a little confused - I'm not the one saying the above, just repeating what's been written and said, and asking if it's based on fact, which the last article seemed to confirm. And is J.D. Drew known as a lazy player? I really didn't know that.

thats his whole deal, they say he is as talented as anyone but he doesnt want ot put in the work, and if he is hurt in anyway he wont play
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby nmarq8 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Laziest MLB player=Barry Zito.

He gets traded away from a contending team, signs a massive contract, and just basically stops trying.

I couldn't disagree more. This is strictly an opinion-based argument because you nor I can truly know if he's lazy or not, at least not unless you or I were spending significant time in the Giants clubhouse and see his tendencies day in day out. But from my perspective the guy genuinely cares, he just lost 5 mph on his fastball thus his curve is much less effective and his run support is terrible. Therefore, massively struggling. And I can't think of anyone who didn't see this coming when he was becoming a free agent. No way you can call him lazy.

Back to the original topic, I don't think lazy is the right word. If you're lazy you can make it to the big leagues, but you can't stay around. MCab's been around too long to be the definition of lazy. His team's struggling, there was a ton of perseason hype, and MCab's making a ton of money and not thriving...he's an easy scapegoat. Maybe he's one of those people who kind of fades into the scenery when times are tough as opposed to Jeter who rises to adversity. Bottom line, to reason this as anything to do with his skin-color, where he's from, etc. is a horrible position to take.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nmarq8 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.[/quote]
I'm a little confused - I'm not the one saying the above, just repeating what's been written and said, and asking if it's based on fact, which the last article seemed to confirm. And is J.D. Drew known as a lazy player? I really didn't know that.[/quote]

thats his whole deal, they say he is as talented as anyone but he doesnt want ot put in the work, and if he is hurt in anyway he wont play[/quote]
Are we suddenly talking about Gary Sheffield? :-?
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers