Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Replying to a thread about racism where racism doesn't exist

Postby knapplc » Thu May 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Snacks wrote:Again, if you read my first post closer - and again, maybe I didn't put it as eloquently as I could have - I'm saying that SIZEMORE IS NOT LAZY, he's just off to a slow start and that he's never been called lazy and he shouldn't be. I was asking if this was the case with Cabrera - slow start or laziness. And if it is being said that he's lazy, which it is according to the ESPN article, is it because he is really lazy or is it part of a TOTALLY UNFAIR AND WRONG assumption that it comes from his Latin background. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT AND WOULD NEVER THINK THAT.

Wow, I'm really sorry I brought the question of Cabrera's laziness or lack or it up.

Respectfully, I think you may need to read your first post a little closer. You are clearly implying that there is a racial element to criticism of MCab’s work ethic. The sources you’re giving for your theory do not in any way support your theory, so we are left to assume this is something you dreamt up. If that’s not the case and you can point us to the article(s) which led to this train of thought then by all means please post those links. Until then, we’re left with the same conclusion – you think there is a racial bias against MCab from people questioning his work ethic, all evidence to the contrary.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 12:37 pm

I beg you, Can a moderator please kill this thread.

I'm sorry I asked what I thought was a valid question but has gotten me labeled as having questioned race and my views - these weren't/aren't my views, but they do exist. I don't believe Cabrera's possible laziness has anything to do with race, but if you seriously don't believe that some "wrong-minded, ignorant and downright repulsive" Americans stereotype/associate Latins with laziness - WHICH I DON'T - then we live in different countries. So please kill this post.

And again,
Sorry
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Snacks wrote:
The Cow wrote:The race card really? Was there a need too play it? You bring up Sizemore, who is one of the hardest working players and without question a guy that hustles on every play. Poor example and besides Grady is half African American, so does that foil your whole race card theory?

The Cow

Again, if you read my first post closer - and again, maybe I didn't put it as eloquently as I could have - I'm saying that SIZEMORE IS NOT LAZY, he's just off to a slow start and that he's never been called lazy and he shouldn't be. I was asking if this was the case with Cabrera - slow start or laziness. And if it is being said that he's lazy, which it is according to the ESPN article, is it because he is really lazy or is it part of a TOTALLY UNFAIR AND WRONG assumption that it comes from his Latin background. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT AND WOULD NEVER THINK THAT.

Wow, I'm really sorry I brought the question of Cabrera's laziness or lack or it up.

His laziness (perceived or actual) is soley derived from his weight/work ethic IMO...like Mo Vaughn, Bartolo Colon, David Wells, or Jack Cust. We're not saying that you believe he is lazy because he is latin...we are saying that writing about other people saying it is because he is latin is irresponsible without something that supports that viewpoint.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby YerInUrine » Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Racism is still very prevalent in MLB today.

I know that the Red Sox had to deal with it this season.

Earlier in April Dice-K missed a start.
When Tito was asked to comment he said: "He was being punished for Pearl Harbor"

When Jacoby Ellsbury missed some time earlier this season, Tito also said: "We owe him for the Trail of Tears, so he is getting an extra day off"

All joking aside, him being called lazy has nothing to do with race. An overweight person is overweight.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 1:03 pm

His laziness (perceived or actual) is soley derived from his weight/work ethic IMO...like Mo Vaughn, Bartolo Colon, David Wells, or Jack Cust. We're not saying that you believe he is lazy because he is latin...we are saying that writing about other people saying it is because he is latin is irresponsible without something that supports that viewpoint.
[/quote]

Ugh, I've created a monster and I probably deserve what I've wrought. I apologize. But as I read my first post, what I was asking was the fact that some of the American population hold a stereotypical few of Latins as Lazy - And regrettably they do - was this being used against Cabrera. And if I need to find articles that sadly back up this point of view that some "ugly Americans" hold, not that Cabrera is lazy or because it's that he's Latin, but that some Americans associate Latins with Laziness - then we live in different Americas and I want to live in yours. I DESPISE IT and DISAGREE WITH IT. But the stereotype exists, you see it weekly in T.V. shows etc...- and could these misguided, ugly views have been brought to bare on Cabrera because he has been called lazy in the past - which the next poster confirmed with his ESPN article?

If, as it seems that I have, did not make the broadness of my question clear - then again, I really do apologize. I was not saying that I or anyone else had directly called Cabrera Lazy because he was Latin, I was asking that IS the "ugly American stereotype" that Latins are lazy being used against Cabrera or simply was he off to a slow start? Or is he lazy? I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry if I was unclear on that.

Oh, and I'm fat and Lazy and Caucasian.

Now please, again, I beg you - put this thread to it's death!
Last edited by Snacks on Thu May 22, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 22, 2008 1:03 pm

M-Cab's perceived laziness by the media has more to do with M-Cab's past reputation of weight gain, more than his ethnicity. Even then, just because a player is overweight doesn't mean his attitude to conditioning is lax also.

Carry on.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Nothing to do with Racism. He has higher expectations than Sizemore. Comparing Grady and Miggy is like Comparing A-Rod and Ichiro. Completely different players and expectations.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J35J » Thu May 22, 2008 1:08 pm

I think any professional athlete who isn't ripped to some degree is lazy. They are professional athletes...there work and life is geared around their body and physical skills. They get paid as well as anyone and have plenty of time during the offseason to get in "said" shape. It is disappointing to see professional athletes not in peak physical shape....what can ya do though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby great gretzky » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 pm

My two cents. He is lazy. I know that our society very frequently associates obesity with laziness and it isn't fair. BUT, we shouldn't be so quick to write off obese/fat people as NOT being lazy either, just because we are correcting for the stereotype. (This goes for the unfair racial stereotypes. We know Mexicans and African Americans, or anyone for that matter, aren't inherently lazy, but they have to fight this unfair stereotype about it. Of course there are going to be jobless and seemingly aimless members of those races when they continually are denied good jobs.) But it doesn't mean a genuinely lazy African American (or anyone else) gets to play the racecard when called that. You weren't called that because of your race, you were called that because its true.

A professional athlete who gains that much weight IS lazy. He isn't exercising enough to offset his consumption. He is mentally lazy because he can't delay his gratification. He is professionally lazy because he is coasting on his natural ability/abilities achieved up to this point, rather than trying to be the best player he can in all senses. Maybe he does have some medical condition that we don't know about. But from everything i have seen is that he can't keep the fork out of his mouth, which is a real shame. I mean heck, its not like you have to be shredded. Hell, you can even have a gut in baseball. Fitting into the bell curve so to speak shouldn't require mountains of self control and sacrifice.

I don't buy for a minute its racism. I think it is laziness. Otherwise, why would Florida have let him go? I'm sure they know something about the subject.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Cow » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Snacks wrote:
The Cow wrote:The race card really? Was there a need too play it? You bring up Sizemore, who is one of the hardest working players and without question a guy that hustles on every play. Poor example and besides Grady is half African American, so does that foil your whole race card theory?

The Cow

Again, if you read my first post closer - and again, maybe I didn't put it as eloquently as I could have - I'm saying that SIZEMORE IS NOT LAZY, he's just off to a slow start and that he's never been called lazy and he shouldn't be. I was asking if this was the case with Cabrera - slow start or laziness. And if it is being said that he's lazy, which it is according to the ESPN article, is it because he is really lazy or is it part of a TOTALLY UNFAIR AND WRONG assumption that it comes from his Latin background. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT AND WOULD NEVER THINK THAT.

I have found that typically it is the minority or non-Caucasian that plays the race card. Is this true in your case? Myself I am a Native American and I can tell you that it bothers me when the race card is played unjustifiably.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers