Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 11:34 am

I think a "lazy" image is more associated with weight gain and obesity than with any specific race...Miggy fits the overweight mold, so if you want to say people with a higher percentage of body fat have the "lazy" stigma...that would make more sense to me. Even if they are proven beasts like Berkman or Miggy, if they start slumping it's easy to point to the fact that they're carrying around a few extra pounds...whether it's warranted or not.
Last edited by fezzik on Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am

Snacks wrote:In the beginning of the season everyone, and I do mean everyone was talking about his newfound work ethic, how he'd lost a lot of weight and was raring to go - and that he was going to be monster. But all of a sudden he doesn't jump out to a fantastic start and the team is struggling and the whispers begin. "He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

The 2nd part is - will he turn it around or is their truth in what some are saying, that he's lost his passion and is just going through the paces or is it racism rearing it's ugly head and he's simply off to a slow start.... like Sizemore.

Snacks

I'm not seeing the link to the article where someone says that Cabrera is lazy. Can you post that? Can you also post where someone else (aside from you) has brought up race as a reason for the questions about MCab's lack of production?

You say you're not the one "playing the race card," but this is the first I've heard of race associated with him.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 22, 2008 11:58 am

Maybe all the black and Hispanic players should stop being so lazy; then they wouldn't be called lazy...

Just kidding.

Lazy is lazy whether it's black, white, or purple. I think M-Cab's lazy tag was attributed more to him being overweight than anything else.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 22, 2008 12:01 pm

NAME ME ONE PURPLE PLAYER THAT'S EVERY BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING LAZY, PAL! That's right, you can't! Busted!!! Maybe next time you won't throw out information until you have all the facts, huh buddy?

;-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 147)

Postby rib217 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:01 pm

This thread is pretty pathetic, one of the lamest attempts at bringing a race discussion to the cafe IMO.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 22, 2008 12:04 pm

After re-reading my first post, I see where you could've gotten that. Sorry. :-o

No worries ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Cow » Thu May 22, 2008 12:19 pm

The race card really? Was there a need too play it? You bring up Sizemore, who is one of the hardest working players and without question a guy that hustles on every play. Poor example and besides Grady is half African American, so does that foil your whole race card theory?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 pm

knapplc wrote:
Snacks wrote:In the beginning of the season everyone, and I do mean everyone was talking about his newfound work ethic, how he'd lost a lot of weight and was raring to go - and that he was going to be monster. But all of a sudden he doesn't jump out to a fantastic start and the team is struggling and the whispers begin. "He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

The 2nd part is - will he turn it around or is their truth in what some are saying, that he's lost his passion and is just going through the paces or is it racism rearing it's ugly head and he's simply off to a slow start.... like Sizemore.

Snacks

I'm not seeing the link to the article where someone says that Cabrera is lazy. Can you post that? Can you also post where someone else (aside from you) has brought up race as a reason for the questions about MCab's lack of production?

You say you're not the one "playing the race card," but this is the first I've heard of race associated with him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2174699

Here's the link to the article that questions his work ethic. And maybe I wasn't as eloquent as I could have been - what i was inferring is that people are more ready to generalize about Latin players as being less enthusiastic about team play and winning as are their white counterparts... or, as the article says, although not saying it's because he's Latin (although Perez does talk about "his situation") that he is lazy. Take the Billy Wagner example, that was certainly a comment aimed at Latin players (who may have certainly deserved it) but it was insinuated by him I believe and then by talking heads. Yes, many rushed in to condemn that sort of generalization and added that it was possibly because the Latin players just come off as more stand-offish which can seem as not caring. Although I can't (maybe if I have some time I can rustle something up) give you an article, I specifically remember Wilbon answering "people" who were saying this sort of thing by saying that they were ignorant, which I agree with, and that it could be many things including a language barrier. A lot of these kids are just coming from small, poor towns and are thrust into the limelight and most likely don't even speak the language - so what others perceive as their lack of interest in the group aspect of the game - which can also be perceived as not caring - is in actuality just a question of unease. Again, I agree with that assessment, and yes, as many have written the lazy moniker is sometimes warranted, as the ESPN article says, but it's also warranted by many white players.

My main question is do others see this as being a quicker reaction because Cabrera is Latin, then it would be if he was white. In this case, it sounds like (ESPN Article) that he might be a little selfish, but in most cases involving Latin players I think it's just not understanding the culture (and I'm talking countries the D.R., Venezuela...) that they come from and the position that they're thrust into.

Also, I'm certainly not the first one to raise the issue of racism, many many ballplayers have raised it, Sheffield, Randolph - and I do believe it exists - I abhor it and do not agree with it - I'm just asking if this is a case of that, or do Latin players suffer from this generalization. Again, I apologize if it sounded like I was endorsing any racist comments or making any of my own, believe me, nothing could be further from the truth.

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby knapplc » Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm

That article says nothing about his race. It's also three years old, so it points out that he's had a long-standing history of alleged laziness. So you are the person bringing up race here.

So to answer the question in your subject line, no, it is not racism to call a lazy player lazy. If you can cite a pattern of behavior among a large percentage of non-Hispanic writers/fans where they ignore the alleged laziness of non-Hispanics while calling out Hispanics for laziness, then we have something to talk about. Until then, it's just your guess. I question the wisdom of bringing up Cabrera's race.
Last edited by knapplc on Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm

The Cow wrote:The race card really? Was there a need too play it? You bring up Sizemore, who is one of the hardest working players and without question a guy that hustles on every play. Poor example and besides Grady is half African American, so does that foil your whole race card theory?

The Cow

Again, if you read my first post closer - and again, maybe I didn't put it as eloquently as I could have - I'm saying that SIZEMORE IS NOT LAZY, he's just off to a slow start and that he's never been called lazy and he shouldn't be. I was asking if this was the case with Cabrera - slow start or laziness. And if it is being said that he's lazy, which it is according to the ESPN article, is it because he is really lazy or is it part of a TOTALLY UNFAIR AND WRONG assumption that it comes from his Latin background. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT AND WOULD NEVER THINK THAT.

Wow, I'm really sorry I brought the question of Cabrera's laziness or lack or it up.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers