Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 am

In the beginning of the season everyone, and I do mean everyone was talking about his newfound work ethic, how he'd lost a lot of weight and was raring to go - and that he was going to be monster. But all of a sudden he doesn't jump out to a fantastic start and the team is struggling and the whispers begin. "He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

The 2nd part is - will he turn it around or is their truth in what some are saying, that he's lost his passion and is just going through the paces or is it racism rearing it's ugly head and he's simply off to a slow start.... like Sizemore.

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 134
Joined: 2 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

Miggs can hit blind folded if he wanted to.... I wouldn't worry much about him ... the numbers will be there at the end of the season...( i hope)
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1620
Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby apz » Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 am

Berkman has been accused of being fat and lazy too. However, if you asked Willie Randolph, he'd probably agree it was racism. }:-)

I think Cabrera will turn it around.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 556
(Past Year: 32)
Joined: 31 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Mazz » Thu May 22, 2008 10:43 am

I don't see how its racism when he has projected an image of laziness for the last few years, but hes a good player and will be fine.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2174699
Mazz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 72
Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 22, 2008 10:44 am

Snacks wrote:"He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 490
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Gold Coast

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 am

Mazz wrote:I don't see how its racism when he has projected an image of laziness for the last few years, but hes a good player and will be fine.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2174699


Good Article and what's especially nail-hitting is that Perez basically agrees.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 134
Joined: 2 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby ROC AllStars » Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 am

People are too quick to play the race card. I had quarter season Cubs tickets the year that Todd Hundley came in. By the end of the year the fans were booing him even if he hit a HR. The reason? He was lazy and most likely a drunk. Many other players have already been noted. I think that the whispers start in the fantasy world when ANY player gets off to a bad start.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2073
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

dweenmachine wrote:
Snacks wrote:"He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.

I'm a little confused - I'm not the one saying the above, just repeating what's been written and said, and asking if it's based on fact, which the last article seemed to confirm. And is J.D. Drew known as a lazy player? I really didn't know that.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 134
Joined: 2 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 22, 2008 11:01 am

Snacks wrote:
dweenmachine wrote:
Snacks wrote:"He's lazy, his work ethic is wanting and that he's already given up on the season???" So my question is twofold: Why do we only hear this stuff about Latino, and to a lessor extent, Afro-American players. No one seems to talk about Sizemore's struggles other than he's just off to a slow start - but no one questions his work ethic. So is it a tinge of racism or is it true? Is Miguel getting lazy and not putting in the effort? Or are people (the white press and fans) just finding an easy scapegoat and falling back on ugly stereotypes?

Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.

I'm a little confused - I'm not the one saying the above, just repeating what's been written and said, and asking if it's based on fact, which the last article seemed to confirm. And is J.D. Drew known as a lazy player? I really didn't know that.

Well, I guess I misinterpreted what you wrote then... I thought you were asking if it was racist :-? To which I sarcastically repsonded with my grasping at straws comment.

And yes, especially in the Boston media, JD Drew has been called lazy in the past. Ask any Dodger fan...
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 490
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Gold Coast

Re: Miguel Cabrera... Lazy? Or is it a bit of racism?

Postby Snacks » Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 am

[/quote]
Um, see JD Drew... so yeah, you're grasping at straws buddy.[/quote]
I'm a little confused - I'm not the one saying the above, just repeating what's been written and said, and asking if it's based on fact, which the last article seemed to confirm. And is J.D. Drew known as a lazy player? I really didn't know that.[/quote]
Well, I guess I misinterpreted what you wrote then... I thought you were asking if it was racist :-? To which I sarcastically repsonded with my grasping at straws comment.

And yes, especially in the Boston media, JD Drew has been called lazy in the past. Ask any Dodger fan...[/quote]

After re-reading my first post, I see where you could've gotten that. Sorry. :-o
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 134
Joined: 2 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact