Joba on his way to being a starter! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba on his way to being a starter!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joba on his way to being a starter!

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:21 pm

I personally don't care about Joba's fist pump. Then again, I'm not an AL East fan. I can't stand Victorino when he shows up the opposition. I do think players take exception to Joba. I remember the Mets game this May when Joba fist pumped emphatically after K-ing Alou. Delgado was the next batter and drove in Beltran and fist pumped emphatically as he ran to 1st. To be fair, I can't stand when hitters stand there and watch like they've never hit a HR before and there have been times when I wished Reyes would have toned it down.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

I believe you answered your own question. Do not take this response as being rude, but each of those situations were game changing/winning plays. A strikeout in the 2nd inning of a scoreless July game, gimmie a break. Act like you've been there before.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:KRod literally freaks out when he saves a game. Kirk Gibson pumped his fist all the way around the bases in '88. I recall a certain Blue Jay that skipped his way around the bases after winning a World Series game. Are these acceptable because the game is over? Where is the line drawn? Let everyone know so they won't get in trouble for being happy before they're supposed to.

Kirk Gibson's was a walk-off to win a world series game - Joe Carter walked off to win the entire world series I don't think those two compare at all to K'ing a guy in the 2nd inning of a game without playoff consequences.

K-Rod is a little annoying - but at least it's when he wins the game. That's like the team collecting a home plate for a walkoff HR. If you are on the losing side it is annoying, but it isn't disrespectful.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Relievers have a huge advantage. They don't need to follow the unwritten rules See, a hitter can do whatever he wants after he hits a HR, as long as he's willing to get thrown at the next time at-bat. The reliever doesn't have to worry about batting, and he's usually in the game near the end of a close game, so there won't be any retalation either.

One more question to ask: Why is it that some players get no flack for celebrations, while others get a ton? Manny watches every single HR; he never gets thrown at. I remember Bret Boone used to flip his bat after every home run; he never really was hated. This topic annoys me because it's so media-driven.....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jmudukes2008 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:One more question to ask: Why is it that some players get no flack for celebrations, while others get a ton? Manny watches every single HR; he never gets thrown at. I remember Bret Boone used to flip his bat after every home run; he never really was hated. This topic annoys me because it's so media-driven.....

Exactly bro, that's what mentioned before. Look at the players who do their hop-skip and a jump after a homer, and look at the players who pump out or jump over the foul line after a strikeout...but then when a boy from Lincoln, Nebraska does it, people expect more out of him. It's a double-standard, and the thing is, the media will never mention it, and I won't even say exactly what I'm trying to say in a thread on some website, because if you do, you get jumped all over and tagged as being something that you're not. I'm a realist, and that's it.

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:17 pm

jmudukes2008 wrote:and look at the players who pump out or jump over the foul line after a strikeout...

jumping over the foul line is a superstition - not a way of showing off.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 am

I guess my view wasn't as unpopular as I first thought.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby jmudukes2008 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:23 am

Joba is back on his way to becomming a starter, started throwing today. Should be another few weeks, but this is a good sign. Let's just hope the Yankees are still within striking distance because then Girardi will be more apt to bringing him back as soon as Joba says he's ready.

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 pm

They need to bring Joba back asap. If he doesn't hit his innings cap then they'll have to baby him again next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Yoda wrote:They need to bring Joba back asap. If he doesn't hit his innings cap then they'll have to baby him again next year.

I think they should let him hit his cap in AAA. Low stress innings on his arm, just so they can, as you said, not have to baby him this year. I think this is the year the Yankees don't make the playoffs, and even if they can squeak in, they are a one and done, likely going into Anaheim, so they've got to protect the kid's arm. Let him get his innings in AAA and get ready for next year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers